White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

He seems like a guy who is great at keeping his team motivated and ready during the season and then never pushes the right buttons in the postseason.

This was exactly the problem. They finished 60 games over .500 and were #1 or #2 in almost all hitting and pitching stats. They were 9-3 against the Padres during the season. A good manager gets his players to that next level or gear in the playoffs. 

This is the second year in a row they were the favorites to win the World Series both before and after both regulars seasons. They were 106-58 in 2021 and 111-51 in 2022 with home field advantage in both years and could not make it to the World Series with arguably the best team in baseball. 

When Andrew Friedman spends the most money in baseball to get the top star free agents and has one of the top ranked farm systems to bring up talent, I'm sorry,  but it's not the fault of the FO that this team is chocking in the playoffs. 

Maybe this is an example of Robert can only get the Dodgers from point A to point B and Friedman needs a manager to get them to point C.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

If Pedro Grifol is so good why wouldn't the Royals just hire him? I had never heard of the guy before the Sox interviewed him. 

Yeah I don't understand why teams are all interviewing this guy. The Royals have sucked for years. Being Matheny's bench coach doesn't really expose you to smart baseball decisions. Espada has at least been with Houston for a long time and is exposed to winning baseball. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

If Pedro Grifol is so good why wouldn't the Royals just hire him? I had never heard of the guy before the Sox interviewed him. 

I'm sure there are some really good coaches working for bad teams and bad managers and xice versa. Even if the Sox plan to hire one of the older more expensive guys, these types are going to be mentioned that the Sox really like if nothing else but to try to lower the price on the main target. 

• Like 1

So do we have a running list somewhere of who has interviewed?

We know:

Cairo

Grifol

Espada

Washington

The initial list also included Bochy and Schidt.  Have they interviewed?  Willie Harris has also been mentioned.  Do we know anything about him interviewing or not?

I also remember seeing Joe Maddon at one point.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We know:

Cairo

Grifol

Espada

Washington

The initial list also included Bochy and Schidt.  Have they interviewed?  Willie Harris has also been mentioned.  Do we know anything about him interviewing or not?

I saw madden was scheduled to have an interview somewhere last week just don’t know if it happened. Also Willy Harris said last week on the podcast that the Sox had yet to reach out to him.

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We know:

Cairo

Grifol

Espada

Washington

I'd add Kevin Long to this list 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I saw madden was scheduled to have an interview somewhere last week just don’t know if it happened. Also Willy Harris said last week on the podcast that the Sox had yet to reach out to him.

I would assume the White Sox would go very quickly to at least interview desirable candidates as soon as possible . That way they can cut down the list to 3-4 round 2 people.  To say Harris has not been contact yet shows he is not high up on their list or they are  not in a hurry.

On 10/16/2022 at 2:28 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There's no question Washington would be a good choice for simply improving basic fundamentals of the game which this team desperately needs. I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about him as a manager on an in-game basis. Maybe he is very open to an analytical approach for in-game management. I think it's pretty obvious that Tony did what he wanted playing Leury every day. That alone has to count for improvement somewhere.

If not for a miss play on a fly ball by Nelson Cruz...Ron Washington would have been a World Series winning manager.

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This was exactly the problem. They finished 60 games over .500 and were #1 or #2 in almost all hitting and pitching stats. They were 14-5 against the Padres during the season. A good manager gets his players to that next level or gear in the playoffs. 

This is the second year in a row they were the favorites to win the World Series both before and after both regulars seasons. They were 106-58 in 2021 and 111-51 in 2022 with home field advantage in both years and could not make it to the World Series with arguably the best team in baseball. 

When Andrew Friedman spends the most money in baseball to get the top star free agents and has one of the top ranked farm systems to bring up talent, I'm sorry,  but it's not the fault of the FO that this team is chocking in the playoffs. 

Maybe this is an example of Robert can only get the Dodgers from point A to point B and Friedman needs a manager to get them to point C.

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I have a lot of Dodger fan friends in LA and SF and they all despise him.  They think he's completely controlled by the FO and analytics department and that anybody with an earpiece could do his job.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JTB said:

Cribbage is my favorite card game.  Let’s trade for Francona.  🎲(I couldn’t find a deck of cards so I defaulted to a die)

There was a long closed bar up near the chain that back in the 80s had a Sunday cribbage tournament. I was the only player under 60. I lost my ass most times but the other guys were hilarious. 

5 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This was exactly the problem. They finished 60 games over .500 and were #1 or #2 in almost all hitting and pitching stats. They were 9-3 against the Padres during the season. A good manager gets his players to that next level or gear in the playoffs. 

Baseball, even the great teams, get hot and cold. Some teams are unfortunate enough to fizz in the postseason. The Sox caught fire at the right time in 05 and I was thankful Ozzie managed the Sox to the title. There were no guarantees we'd ever win another WS and voila it's worked out that way. I don't see how Rob Thomson can get all the credit for the Phils and the Dodgers and Mets skippers tons of blame. The Mets and Dodgers unfortunately are a victim of playing like hell at the wrong time, that's all. Otherwise, Rob Thomson is the new Earl Weaver. Is Thomson that great? Doubtful. But could he lead the team to an Ozzie this year? Of course. Stuff happens.

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Great fit on the southside! Are you f'ing kidding me? Hell no Kelly! Washington will be 71 yrs old next season. I'm sorry, but we don't need any more 70 plus manager retreads. 

I think Washington is generally beloved by all. Media, players, fans. If he's too old, whatever. But he's definitely beloved. Serious question is can he speak Spanish. Kinda important nowadays IMO. Communication.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think Washington is generally beloved by all. Media, players, fans. If he's too old, whatever. But he's definitely beloved. Serious question is can he speak Spanish. Kinda important nowadays IMO. Communication.

Yes being bi-lingual is a huge plus but from the other side shouldnt these Hispanic and Latino players make an effort to learn English as well? Its not like they or even the team cant afford it. I used to teach ESL (as a volunteer)  to immigrants years ago and most picked it up quite well

• TLR 2

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I have a lot of Dodger fan friends in LA and SF and they all despise him.  They think he's completely controlled by the FO and analytics department and that anybody with an earpiece could do his job.

Completely controlled by the FO, you say?

*Jerry Reinsdorf liked this*

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Yes being bi-lingual is a huge plus but from the other side shouldnt these Hispanic and Latino players make an effort to learn English as well? Its not like they or even the team cant afford it. I used to teach ESL (as a volunteer)  to immigrants years ago and most picked it up quite well

Contrary to your assumption, teams do teach English for players who want/need it in the minors.  But picking up English isn't an overnight thing, especially to get to the size and depth of a native speaker.  Some things are not really able to be translated, such as mindset and culture.

Contrary to your assumption, teams do teach English for players who want/need it in the minors.  But picking up English isn't an overnight thing, especially to get to the size and depth of a native speaker.  Some things are not really able to be translated, such as mindset and culture.

Not to mention, there are a lot of players who do understand English, and can speak it a bit, but choose not to, because they fear they will sound dumb.

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic