White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the White Sox we're talking about. It's Thome. 

Think about the worst case scenario and it's probably true. 

This org has a collective iq of -69. 

The dumbest team in baseball by far. 

This morning it was Getz, yesterday it was Ozzie.  I can't keep up with what I am supposed to be upset about.

I've never gotten the impression Thome is an especially intelligent guy.  It follows he would have little to no reliance on data helping to steer his managerial decisions; he would be another "gut" manager.  Of all the names we've heard, some much more unimpressive than others, Jim Thome shouldn't just be at the bottom of the list, he shouldn't even be on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

If they're going to hire a former Sox player to manage, it should be Jermaine Dye or Aaron Rowand.  Thome would be a disaster he has no energy.

If they want an ex Sox player, they should hire they guy who is actually working in the biz and working toward being a manager right now: Willie Harris.

• Like 1

For me, I'm not ready to proclaim that the sky is falling just yet over Merk's tweet. While it would be EXTREMELY on brand for the Sox to do some dumbass s%*# like that, paired with their aversion to outside influences for whatever dumb reason, I'm saving my outrage for when a dumb decision is actually confirmed. We expect them to be dumb bc they've given us no reason to think otherwise, but to me it just seems that there's so much conflicting info out there at the moment that I'm not getting too hung up on the "on-brand" parts right now. I truly hope they try something different for once in their lives, this org BADLY needs an influx of it. 

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

Rick Hahn claimed in the press conference that White Sox ties is 'not something were looking for at this time'. I guess we will soon find out if he was lying.

I don’t think there is any chance they go internal.  Worst case scenario, Jerry or KW interfere with the process and bring in a veteran manager from outside the organization.  Hopefully that’s not the case and Hahn can pick his own guy, so we can finally hold him 100% accountable for the on-field product.

I don’t take this for granted. But, frankly, I believe there is no one who is harder on me than I am. And when I look at a year like this, it requires me to look at myself too and the way we are doing things and try to figure out if we are the right stewards to get this, because White Sox fans have been incredibly supportive throughout this rebuild… and you want to reward that. They deserve it. And, if it ever got to the point where I felt I wasn’t the right person in my world, I’d step aside. And I’m lucky enough to have the support.

Rick....it's taken 8 years and you haven't delivered, I think it may be time to take your own advice and STEP ASIDE.

They are going to overrule RH here. After he had mentioned in his presser that it’s a combined decision between him, KW and JR that was kind of a giveaway that they aren’t going to allow him to hire who he wants. You can also tell that he was kind of pissed off. I hope RH leaves and goes to an organization that will allow him some autonomy to do his job. Wouldn’t surprise me at all that JR has handicapped him this whole time so he couldn’t spend on any of the money on the top FA’s after the rebuild. He had no choice in the matter so he did what he could but obviously was going to fail because you need elite and premium talent to compete against the likes of the Yankees, Dodgers, Houston etc. 

Edited by maloney.adam

16 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They are going to overrule RH here. After he had mentioned in his presser that it’s a combined decision between him, KW and JR that was kind of a giveaway that they aren’t going to allow him to hire who he wants. You can also tell that he was kind of pissed off. I hope RH leaves and goes to an organization that will allow him some autonomy to do his job. Wouldn’t surprise me at all that JR has handicapped him this whole time so he couldn’t spend on any of the money on the top FA’s after the rebuild. He had no choice in the matter so he did what he could but obviously was going to fail because you need elite and premium talent to compete against the likes of the Yankees, Dodgers, Houston etc. 

Why didn't that stop Kenny Williams from having a high level of success from 2000-2012?  What changed? 

12 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Thome would take the job to be a "good soldier" if Jerry asked him, despite knowing he's not remotely ready. Leave it to Jerry to repeat the mistake of taking a beloved player (Ventura, Robin) and tarnishing his legacy by putting him in an untenable position. 

I’m guessing that Thome has an understanding that at some point, he has a shot at it. Of course it being off schedule and the absolute worst timing is when Jerry would make good on it.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why didn't that stop Kenny Williams from having a high level of success from 2000-2012?  What changed? 

The game has evolved over time and the White Sox are an organization that didn’t evolve with the game. JR does things his own way. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'd rather people post the foodie tweets than continue to read people get mad at their own made-up head-canon here.

I feel your pain, but that’s taking it too far. Those foodie tweets are so pathetic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

You can also tell that he was kind of pissed off. I hope RH leaves and goes to an organization that will allow him some autonomy to do his job. 

I wish I could be in a position to be pissed off about getting paid like that for the past decade to absolutely blow at my job. He is a good blower, however -- maybe some other organization is looking to give him the autonomy to blow somewhere else ... 

• Thanks 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic