White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'd rather people post the foodie tweets than continue to read people get mad at their own made-up head-canon here.

The hamburglar told me the Sox are going to hire there manager by the end of this month. Some will be happy and some won’t. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

The hamburglar told me the Sox are going to hire there manager by the end of this month. Some will be happy and some won’t. :) 

Per my Omelet who spoke to the pancakes, they both agreed that nothing will be official until after the world series so the buffet will keep discussing and infuriating everyone until all are kicked out of said buffet for being there for two hours. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Confirmed. Ronald McDonald will be the new manager. Grimace will be bench coach.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 5:39 PM, greg775 said:

I think Washington is generally beloved by all. Media, players, fans. If he's too old, whatever. But he's definitely beloved. Serious question is can he speak Spanish. Kinda important nowadays IMO. Communication.

I agree being bilingual in today's game is important. That is why Astros Joe Espada is a perfect fit. He is only 47 years old, bilingual and a part of an extremely consistent winning playoff organization that preaches fundamentals. 

Whether Washington is beloved by media and fans is irrelevant. I agree though being well liked by the players is important. However we need a manager who is young, into modern day baseball analysis, has a strong baseball background, will preach fundamentals and be tough on the players and make them accountable. It is a great attribute if the players like the manager. However more importantly the manager needs to be respected by the players so they want to work as hard as possible to give him their best effort.  

Btw, Renteria was beloved by the players and that didn't work out so well, due to the fact Renteria was weak in so many other areas of managing. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, greg775 said:

Baseball, even the great teams, get hot and cold. Some teams are unfortunate enough to fizz in the postseason. The Sox caught fire at the right time in 05 and I was thankful Ozzie managed the Sox to the title. There were no guarantees we'd ever win another WS and voila it's worked out that way. I don't see how Rob Thomson can get all the credit for the Phils and the Dodgers and Mets skippers tons of blame. The Mets and Dodgers unfortunately are a victim of playing like hell at the wrong time, that's all. Otherwise, Rob Thomson is the new Earl Weaver. Is Thomson that great? Doubtful. But could he lead the team to an Ozzie this year? Of course. Stuff happens.

I guarantee you the owners and Andrew Friedman in LA do not care about their #1 favored Dodgers team getting cold at the wrong time and be ok with it. They are not about to tell the manager Robert, "That's ok buddy, you tried and oh well, another failed year, but we just unfortunately fizzed during the postseason...but you'll get them next year." That is not an acceptable excuse! Robert was given the best roster money could buy. They also have the 2nd best farm system. They dominated every pitching and hitting category. Most importantly, they proved they could dominate the rest of the league during the season. Having said that, the great teams historically in the past, when it comes to the next step, being the playoffs, always seem to take it to another higher level. In the history of baseball there have been tons of teams that had dominating years during the regular season and then took up another notch to go finish the task and win the World Series. That is when great managers get the most out of their players and do an even better managerial job.

You cannot justify or rationalize the failure of Robert these past two years. Dodger Nation and the media are criticizing Robert harshly. The fans are furious and want Robert gone. There are too many good managers out there that would be thrilled to have the opportunity to coach the Dodgers. 

On 10/16/2022 at 10:54 PM, JTB said:

Cribbage is my favorite card game.  Let’s trade for Francona.  🎲(I couldn’t find a deck of cards so I defaulted to a die)

This type of stress reliving formula isn't new to baseball. Joe Maddon was famous for this when he managed the Rays and Cubs. Maddon did all types of outlandish things in the clubhouse to get the players relaxed. He was famous for bringing to the clubhouse various animals like the armadillo, a palm civet, a sloth, snow leopard cubs, flamingos, a parrot, and a cheetah to name a few. The players from both clubs always expressed how they loved it and it made the players more relaxed and less stressed to play baseball. 

37 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I agree being bilingual in today's game is important. That is why Astros Joe Espada is a perfect fit. He is only 47 years old, bilingual and a part of an extremely consistent winning playoff organization that preaches fundamentals. 

Whether Washington is beloved by media and fans is irrelevant. I agree though being well liked by the players is important. However we need a manager who is young, into modern day baseball analysis, has a strong baseball background, will preach fundamentals and be tough on the players and make them accountable. It is a great attribute if the players like the manager. However more importantly the manager needs to be respected by the players so they want to work as hard as possible to give him their best effort.  

Btw, Renteria was beloved by the players and that didn't work out so well, due to the fact Renteria was weak in so many other areas of managing. 

Espada is a hot name in the open manager discussions across baseball. My guess is he wants to see what the Astros do. If they win it all Dusty would retire and Espada would move right into the Astros job. It would be a better opportunity for him than the other open vacancies.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

Espada is a hot name in the open manager discussions across baseball. My guess is he wants to see what the Astros do. If they win it all Dusty would retire and Espada would move right into the Astros job. It would be a better opportunity for him than the other open vacancies.

yep, my thoughts exactly

25 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

Agreed! If they win the World Series and Dusty retires, which is conceivable, since that is the only major thing that has alluded Dusty, of course you take the Astros job if its offered to him over the Sox. 

On the flip side as the devil's advocate, if you're the owner of the Astros and have one of the best teams in baseball yearly, why wouldn't he go out and do a mass interviewing process in addition to talking to Espada?

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I guarantee you the owners and Andrew Friedman in LA do not care about their #1 favored Dodgers team getting cold at the wrong time and be ok with it. They are not about to tell the manager Robert, "That's ok buddy, you tried and oh well, another failed year, but we just unfortunately fizzed during the postseason...but you'll get them next year." That is not an acceptable excuse! Robert was given the best roster money could buy. They also have the 2nd best farm system. They dominated every pitching and hitting category. Most importantly, they proved they could dominate the rest of the league during the season. Having said that, the great teams historically in the past, when it comes to the next step, being the playoffs, always seem to take it to another higher level. In the history of baseball there have been tons of teams that had dominating years during the regular season and then took up another notch to go finish the task and win the World Series. That is when great managers get the most out of their players and do an even better managerial job.

You cannot justify or rationalize the failure of Robert these past two years. Dodger Nation and the media are criticizing Robert harshly. The fans are furious and want Robert gone. There are too many good managers out there that would be thrilled to have the opportunity to coach the Dodgers. 

ROBERTS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sarava said:

Rick Hahn claimed in the press conference that White Sox ties is 'not something were looking for at this time'. I guess we will soon find out if he was lying.

I don't think "lying" is appropriate...more like "find out if he was overruled...again".  

• Like 2

oh my, managers are arguably worth less than 2 wins (unless you're la russa) in a 162 game regular season and you think they have some significant W/L impact on the post-season outcomes.

You know why the best team doesn't win every year? Small sample variance.

• Like 2

Agreed! If they win the World Series and Dusty retires, which is conceivable, since that is the only major thing that has alluded Dusty, of course you take the Astros job if its offered to him over the Sox. 

On the flip side as the devil's advocate, if you're the owner of the Astros and have one of the best teams in baseball yearly, why wouldn't he go out and do a mass interviewing process in addition to talking to Espada?

The Astros would absolutely be well justified in keeping someone on their staff as their next manager when that person combines being a highly sought after candidate for other teams with a measure of stability for their current players.

This is especially the case if they're also potentially replacing their GM. 

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

oh my, managers are arguably worth less than 2 wins (unless you're la russa) in a 162 game regular season and you think they have some significant W/L impact on the post-season outcomes.

You know why the best team doesn't win every year? Small sample variance.

Jerry Koosman told me the same thing when I interviewed him. He said its easier to win a division because over the course of a 162 game season talent will usually win out but in a short playoff anything can happen, an injury, a bad umpire call, a fluke play, even the weather which could change the pitching rotation. That happens and you could be done. 

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I don't think "lying" is appropriate...more like "find out if he was overruled...again".  

In his press conference, he said he had a long meeting  with JR and KW discussing the parameters/characteristics they wanted in the new manager.     The  "I was overruled" excuse has expired, just like his "who could have known?", "the decline was unprecedented" et al have long expired.  

So it sounds to me like the only truly Soxtalk-friendly hire at this point is Espada.  Bochy probably second but will attract some hate because he looks too much like TLR (read:  old).  I'd guess Washington/Schildt will be met with criticism similar to Bochy, only more intense.  Just about everybody else whose name has been floated (Ozzie, Thome, Harris) would inspire outright mutiny. 

I guess it's possible they could swoop in with some really inspired, out-of-left-field hire of a promising young candidate we haven't thought of, but that seems pretty un-White Sox.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

Ozzie would be a ludicrous hire.  He burnt a lot of bridges when he quit on the team.  And to bring back a former manager after just bringing back another former manager to much failure would not look good.

I don't buy the Getz/Thome "rumors".  Neither guy has nearly enough experience.

Of the older candidates, I'd be okay with Bochy and even Washington.  Definitely before Maddon or Shildt.

The one candidate without a lot of experience that I could see being hired is Harris.

I think a guy like Espada would be the best fit for the team. but as it has been pointed out, he might be in high demand.  We haven't heard anything about Quartaro, but he's another guy that would be good for the Sox.

My gut says it's going to be Bochy or Washington, but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll get someone who hasn't even been rumored.

52 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So it sounds to me like the only truly Soxtalk-friendly hire at this point is Espada.  Bochy probably second but will attract some hate because he looks too much like TLR (read:  old).  I'd guess Washington/Schildt will be met with criticism similar to Bochy, only more intense.  Just about everybody else whose name has been floated (Ozzie, Thome, Harris) would inspire outright mutiny. 

I guess it's possible they could swoop in with some really inspired, out-of-left-field hire of a promising young candidate we haven't thought of, but that seems pretty un-White Sox.

Grifol would be good, and we know he's actually interviewed unlike everyone else people are angry about.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic