White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

59 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So it sounds to me like the only truly Soxtalk-friendly hire at this point is Espada.  Bochy probably second but will attract some hate because he looks too much like TLR (read:  old).  I'd guess Washington/Schildt will be met with criticism similar to Bochy, only more intense.  Just about everybody else whose name has been floated (Ozzie, Thome, Harris) would inspire outright mutiny. 

I guess it's possible they could swoop in with some really inspired, out-of-left-field hire of a promising young candidate we haven't thought of, but that seems pretty un-White Sox.

I’ve warmed to the Harris idea a bit. If nothing else, he’s at least a guy that’s actively trying to become a manager in the majors, as opposed to someone with Sox ties that needs to be convinced to take the job (Ventura, TLR, probably Thome).

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

I’ve warmed to the Harris idea a bit. If nothing else, he’s at least a guy that’s actively trying to become a manager in the majors, as opposed to someone with Sox ties that needs to be convinced to take the job (Ventura, TLR, probably Thome).

He lost me when he said he was bringing swag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Ozzie would be a ludicrous hire.  He burnt a lot of bridges when he quit on the team.  And to bring back a former manager after just bringing back another former manager to much failure would not look good.

I don't buy the Getz/Thome "rumors".  Neither guy has nearly enough experience.

Of the older candidates, I'd be okay with Bochy and even Washington.  Definitely before Maddon or Shildt.

The one candidate without a lot of experience that I could see being hired is Harris.

I think a guy like Espada would be the best fit for the team. but as it has been pointed out, he might be in high demand.  We haven't heard anything about Quartaro, but he's another guy that would be good for the Sox.

My gut says it's going to be Bochy or Washington, but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll get someone who hasn't even been rumored.

Talk about not looking good, the Yankee's brought Billy Martin back 5 times.  Maybe we should just easy off on Ozzie after all he did what no one before him could.

https://www.12up.com/posts/every-time-billy-martin-was-fired-by-george-steinbrenner-as-manager-of-the-yankees-01e58pd96bpa

On 10/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There's no question Washington would be a good choice for simply improving basic fundamentals of the game which this team desperately needs. I'm not sure how'd I'd feel about him as a manager on an in-game basis. Maybe he is very open to an analytical approach for in-game management. I think it's pretty obvious that Tony did what he wanted playing Leury every day. That alone has to count for improvement somewhere.

He's been in the Braves organization so he probably is much more open to it than he was when he was managing the Braves.  People can change with the time.  I think Bochy is another guy who is much more open to it than he was before he retired

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

oh my, managers are arguably worth less than 2 wins (unless you're la russa) in a 162 game regular season and you think they have some significant W/L impact on the post-season outcomes.

You know why the best team doesn't win every year? Small sample variance.

Yes I do think a good manager has a big impact on the W-L record versus a mediocre manager. Please show me where this is documented or widely agreed upon, because a great manager is worth more than 2 wins.

If you think Francona or any other great manager is only worth two more wins a year, then you are clearly overestimating the talent and mental aspects of major league players. With all the key managerial decisions are responsible for such as:

1, When to pull or keep the SP in.

2. Which bullpen pitcher to use and how long to use him

3. Putting out the most effective lineup daily.

4. The non-stop ongoing critical game decisions for a pinch hitters, pinch runners, when to steal, when to hit & run, when to shift. How to position your outfielders, and tons of other important managerial decisions...and you think that is only worth 2 wins! 🙄

Then forgetting the season results from a great managerial approach, what about prior to the regular season games, when good managers need to manage the work necessary during spring training to work on fundamentals, extra work on hitting, situational baseball and getting their players in top physical condition. It is not luck when some managers get their baseball teams better prepared for the season, because they practiced and prepared better to become that stronger team defensively and ready to play smart baseball. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would be ok with Madden over a few of the names floating around, but he’s far from my top choice.  I feel like some of the shine has worn off.  I also question why he would want to be a part of this dysfunctional org, but then again he worked for LAA for so he might fit right in.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Astros would absolutely be well justified in keeping someone on their staff as their next manager when that person combines being a highly sought after candidate for other teams with a measure of stability for their current players.

This is especially the case if they're also potentially replacing their GM. 

I agree sometimes that can work, but not always. That can work only if the people you keep are highly qualified. However most people in any managerial position both in sports and corporate America usually come in and want their own people. There is an old adage if you're going to fail or succeed, do it with your own people and not people from the prior regime.

If Espada were to become the Sox manager I would predict and hope he would want his own coaches and not the losers on this current Sox coaching staff. The fact is, if he or any other new manager didn't want his own people and would settle with this Sox coaching staff, then they are probably not the right manager for the Sox. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would be ok with Madden over a few of the names floating around, but he’s far from my top choice.  I feel like some of the shine has worn off.  I also question why he would want to be a part of this dysfunctional org, but then again he worked for LAA for so he might fit right in.  

A couple weeks ago Maddon specifically said that one of his complaints was that he got a mid-game note from the GM's office to take Trout out of a game that had already become a blowout to try to give him time to get over an injury, and was very much incensed at the notion of a GM interfering with on the field decisions like that. 

This feels very much like a thing that wouldn't happen in the White Sox's organization. 

13 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I agree sometimes that can work, but not always. That can work only if the people you keep are highly qualified. However most people in any managerial position both in sports and corporate America usually come in and want their own people. There is an old adage if you're going to fail or succeed, do it with your own people and not people from the prior regime.

If Espada were to become the Sox manager I would predict and hope he would want his own coaches and not the losers on this current Sox coaching staff. The fact is, if he or any other new manager didn't want his own people and would settle with this Sox coaching staff, then they are probably not the right manager for the Sox. 

This...doesn't seem to be on the subject of why the Astros might hire him without doing a big search?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This...doesn't seem to be on the subject of why the Astros might hire him without doing a big search?

I think we are saying and agreeing on the same things, just in different perspectives, or perhaps i read more into your psot and if so my bad.

The Astros would want to do a big search even if they were going to hire Espada. My only point was when someone comes in new, even if it's from the same club like Espada for the Astros, that's the only person who needs to stay for continuity purposes. Espada probably would hopefully want new coaches and not inherit the current ones, because Espada didn't hire any of the current Astros coaches. It's just my opinion as I have always been a believer in cleaning house and starting fresh with your own people. I'm not saying that is the absolute right way to do things, but one I think best. 

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Thank you for the correction and yes Roberts.

Good we cleared that up, as nobody knew who I was talking about. 

sorry, i've just noticed it in a couple threads lately and when you jump into a thread and see weird talk thinking it's about Luis Robert, at first it's like what?

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

DVS had a story in the Sun-Times last week where he wrote some of the Sox coaches were told they were free to reach out to other teams.

8 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So it sounds to me like the only truly Soxtalk-friendly hire at this point is Espada.  Bochy probably second but will attract some hate because he looks too much like TLR (read:  old).  I'd guess Washington/Schildt will be met with criticism similar to Bochy, only more intense.  Just about everybody else whose name has been floated (Ozzie, Thome, Harris) would inspire outright mutiny. 

I guess it's possible they could swoop in with some really inspired, out-of-left-field hire of a promising young candidate we haven't thought of, but that seems pretty un-White Sox.

I don't care if I'm in the minority, I'd love a Willie Harris hire. A guy who grinded his way through a big league career, played with a ton of energy, and I think would defer to analytics without pushback in a lot of ways because he's a first year guy. I don't care if it's irrational or not well received, I'd love me some Willie.

Thome would be awful. Ozzie quit on the organization when things got bad, can't be trusted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes I do think a good manager has a big impact on the W-L record versus a mediocre manager. Please show me where this is documented or widely agreed upon, because a great manager is worth more than 2 wins.

If you think Francona or any other great manager is only worth two more wins a year, then you are clearly overestimating the talent and mental aspects of major league players. With all the key managerial decisions are responsible for such as:

1, When to pull or keep the SP in.

2. Which bullpen pitcher to use and how long to use him

3. Putting out the most effective lineup daily.

4. The non-stop ongoing critical game decisions for a pinch hitters, pinch runners, when to steal, when to hit & run, when to shift. How to position your outfielders, and tons of other important managerial decisions...and you think that is only worth 2 wins! 🙄

Then forgetting the season results from a great managerial approach, what about prior to the regular season games, when good managers need to manage the work necessary during spring training to work on fundamentals, extra work on hitting, situational baseball and getting their players in top physical condition. It is not luck when some managers get their baseball teams better prepared for the season, because they practiced and prepared better to become that stronger team defensively and ready to play smart baseball. 

I would cite sources but you'd discredit them as ignoring these amazing and valuable qualities. The fact is, the stuff you cited has a marginal impact, at best, over 162 games. I could cite sources, or the fact that high paid managers are making 5 million at most when 1 WAR players are making 8 million which should show you how much value people running teams and analyzing this stuff for a living put on their impact, but it's fair to say you'd ignore that so we'll just agree to disagree.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic