White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Feels like we're just treading water until after the WS. If Dusty retires, Espada is the obvious pick for Houston. If he's your guy, I would put on the full court press and land him NOW. Otherwise he'll end up in Miami or Houston.

Miami is also interviewing Quatraro and they were impressed by him so it sounds like it’s going to be a while. I guess we’ll know soon enough if this is a Hahn pick.

Edited by maloney.adam

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think this will very much depend on how the season ends. Dusty with a ring could easily make a different decision.

I heard that there has been some friction between the astros owner and dusty (and also the GM). 

https://abc13.com/houston-astros-dusty-baker-jim-crane-manager-james-click/12290974/

Maybe both click and dusty are available next year even if they win it all:) 

43 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I heard that there has been some friction between the astros owner and dusty (and also the GM). 

https://abc13.com/houston-astros-dusty-baker-jim-crane-manager-james-click/12290974/

Maybe both click and dusty are available next year even if they win it all:) 

Managers rarely walk away from the money.

Dusty was hired as the safe, well respected veteran choice after the scandal.  Odds are he was no one's actual choice and I can't imagine being a front office person trying to reason with TLR or Dusty.  I think it is reasonable to expect the Astros would like  to move on regardless of what happens this October. 

With that being said, if Dusty wins?  Good luck not paying him.   

So, I personally think the opposite with the "Dusty with a ring walks away" taek.  If Baker wins, he is going to want his 5 for 2 deal.  If the Astros lose I think they can get away with shipping him.  

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joe Espada is a serious candidate for this job. If it ultimately ends up being him, it's going to be awhile. Would he even be hired prior to the GM meetings? Astros are probably going to the World Series. 

You hearing any names except for Espada? Are Matt Quatraro and Kevin Long being strongly considered?

It sounds like Long interviewed so it will be interesting to hear how that went.

Edited by maloney.adam

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joe Espada is a serious candidate for this job. If it ultimately ends up being him, it's going to be awhile. Would he even be hired prior to the GM meetings? Astros are probably going to the World Series. 

Not sure if it’s accurate or not, but a while back someone said that any hiring would have to wait until after the World Series to be announced. 

We’ll see on Ron Washington. I’m starting to warm up to the idea because our defense wasn’t good last year but I would prefer they hire Espada. But out of all the older and more experienced managers out there, IMO Washington is the best one. 

Edited by maloney.adam

12 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I agree the bench coach of the Astro’s  would be a good choice.

Not picking on you personally, just keep seeing lines like this. 

Why? Can you give more than like two sentences on what brings you to this conclusion?

I get it, this is a message board, we're all just killing time and love the Sox, but I've probably watched more Astros games than half this board combined over the past half decade and i couldn't tell you one single stat on the guy, his vision, what he would do with our current team, how he views games, analytics, etc. etc. We just know he's a bench coach on a team with a lot of talent and that wins. 

Like this whole thread is pretty pointless ... we know Ozzie's thoughts. He gave them to us every day with a filter for the whole season. We know things on Bochy based on past. We know a bit on Cairo. We know on the fringes a little about some of these guys, but to me, we  know nothing. 

if i was sitting in those meetings, I'd give the job to the guy who was the most critical of individual players, came with a plan, and identified targets they like. Anybody who came into that meeting as a yes man I'd cut immediately. 

Again, this isn't picking on you. I just see so many people on this thread who "like" a certain guy when in reality we don't know anything about any actual plan. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/blue-jays-hire-john-schneider-as-manager.html

The Jays are the best situation to take over for a manager this off-season. That's one less team the Sox have to compete with for a manager...assuming they actually want to hire someone like Espada. 

I think we’re a far more attractive destination than Miami & KC.  And I’d also place us above Texas, but could see the argument there.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we’re a far more attractive destination than Miami & KC.  And I’d also place us above Texas, but could see the argument there.

Texas is actually willing to spend a lot of big money. We're not. We're better than the Rangers but the new manager wouldn't be stuck with a pretty much set roster in Texas. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Texas is actually willing to spend a lot of big money. We're not. We're better than the Rangers but the new manager wouldn't be stuck with a pretty much set roster in Texas. 

Texas GM really likes Bochy. Sounds like he’s going there so if that happens it would be Chicago, Miami and KC for the remaining managerial vacancies.

Edited by maloney.adam

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Miami is a pretty attractive destination. The team isn’t good but the weather is nice year round except for the hurricanes and there is no state income tax. Texas is also an attractive destination but I think Bochy will end up there so that would leave us, Miami and KC. We are a more attractive destination than KC so really our competition would be Miami.

Edited by maloney.adam

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Texas GM really likes Bochy. Sounds like he’s going there so if that happens it would be Chicago, Miami and KC for the remaining managerial vacancies.

It makes sense since Young played under Bochy in SD. 

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Set roster for next year, but I get your point.  I just think playing in the weakest division in baseball is a huge plus.  I think it could be argued either way though.

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Miami is a pretty attractive destination. The team isn’t good but the weather is nice year round except for the hurricanes and there is no state income tax. Texas is also an attractive destination but I think Bochy will end up there so that would leave us, Miami and KC. We are a more attractive destination than KC so really our competition would be Miami.

I’d take Chicago in the summer over Miami in the summer every time.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, T R U said:

Also keep in mind, Texas and Florida have no state tax and are infinitely better places to live than Illinois.

These guys live in a rental during the season. Very few actually live in their towns all year. Chicago wins every year for favorite MLB road city. Location won’t hinder the search.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic