White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Miami is a pretty attractive destination. The team isn’t good but the weather is nice year round except for the hurricanes and there is no state income tax. Texas is also an attractive destination but I think Bochy will end up there so that would leave us, Miami and KC. We are a more attractive destination than KC so really our competition would be Miami.

Miami has to compete with three quality clubs.  I personally wouldn’t find that very attractive.

45 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It is for baseball. 

Doesn’t have to be. Miami is very untapped baseball market and this team here has burned a lot of bridges themselves with multiple new owners and championships and then tear downs. Also, a Spanish-speaking manager would probably do quite well here if he stays out of politics.

Now, I will disagree with it’s an infinitely better place to live. It is not. Trust me. I can’t wait end this assignment and get back to the Midwest.

Edited by soxfaninfl

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Miami has to compete with three quality clubs.  I personally wouldn’t find that very attractive.

The franchise also has a sordid history of being cheap and seeming shady, at least from the outside.  Maybe that's in the past, but I would imagine that weighs on someone's decision.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Not sure if it’s accurate or not, but a while back someone said that any hiring would have to wait until after the World Series to be announced. 

They can't announce it until after the World Series, but I'm not sure if they have to wait until afterwards to make the offer.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we’re a far more attractive destination than Miami & KC.  And I’d also place us above Texas, but could see the argument there.

Is it really?  Miami And KC you're not going to be expected to win right away and can work your way in to mold the team your way with very good young prospects up and coming. 

Here, you inherit and over-paid roster full of injury prone players who are mentally programmed not to hustle to avoid injury.   And they're going to expect you to win right away with the owner not doing much for you on the free agency side. 

This is definitely looking like another rebound job for a veteran manager trying to get back into the game.    

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Is it really?  Miami And KC you're not going to be expected to win right away and can work your way in to mold the team your way with very good young prospects up and coming. 

Here, you inherit and over-paid roster full of injury prone players who are mentally programmed not to hustle to avoid injury.   And they're going to expect you to win right away with the owner not doing much for you on the free agency side. 

This is definitely looking like another rebound job for a veteran manager trying to get back into the game.    

TBH, I see a roster with a ton of low hanging fruit in a shitty division.  If we hire someone with any sort of pulse, I expect a much better product next year.  Will it be enough to make the playoffs?  Who knows, but I’d rather take my chances on the southside than those other two options.  KC is flat out one of the worst jobs in baseball and Miami has three legit quality teams ahead of them.  It may not just be a while before they win, it may simply never happen during their next manager’s tenure.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Bochy to TEX

Sigh…well there goes my crystal-clear #1 choice from 2020, and my slightly more cautious #1 choice from this year.  Oh what could’ve been. 

Oh well, there are other acceptable choices.  But pretty amazing we missed out on the manager of the only modern baseball dynasty TWICE in 3 years.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

TBH, I see a roster with a ton of low hanging fruit in a shitty division.  If we hire someone with any sort of pulse, I expect a much better product next year.  Will it be enough to make the playoffs?  Who knows, but I’d rather take my chances on the southside than those other two options.  KC is flat out one of the worst jobs in baseball and Miami has three legit quality teams ahead of them.  It may not just be a while before they win, it may simply never happen during their next manager’s tenure.

If I wanted to view the White Sox as negatively as possible, I'd that on the field they have a team that could compete right now, but that starting as soon as 2024 they could potentially be past their peak and losing pieces they can't replace. They have a weak system and not a lot of room to add players, so there's going to be an enormous amount of pressure on me to win immediately because they might not get a second chance after 2023. On top of that, I'd also be uncertain about the status of the front office, because from an outside perspective it seems like they have to have pressure on them to do something big after completing this rebuild, or else. There's a legitimate scenario where I do everything I can and they're "Joe Girardi-ing" me early in 2024 if the team hasn't met their goals, especially if I'm being hired as a guy outside their "family". 

Oh, and the organization historically doesn't like paying their managers well, that might be a worry too. 

The reality is probably somewhere in-between that and your statement. There's an opportunity here, but a lot of work to do to realize it, and there could actually be some pressure on me in this role to make it happen because of the outside situation. If Espada had 2 offers for example, I would bet it would come down to money more than anything else. 

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, from an outsider’s perspective this has to look a bit like the Padres/Phillies/Mets of last yr—a talented team in a down year due for a bounce-back season, allowing a new manager to surf the wave to some degree.  Remains to be seen whether that’s accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T R U said:

Also keep in mind, Texas and Florida have no state tax and are infinitely better places to live than Illinois.

I'd live in IL 10x/10 over either of those. Ew. 

Also, ask Texans about polar vortex events and their heating bills. People froze to death. I'd rather pay taxes and not freeze or pay up the ass for heating when it gets cold. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I wanted to view the White Sox as negatively as possible, I'd that on the field they have a team that could compete right now, but that starting as soon as 2024 they could potentially be past their peak and losing pieces they can't replace. They have a weak system and not a lot of room to add players, so there's going to be an enormous amount of pressure on me to win immediately because they might not get a second chance after 2023. On top of that, I'd also be uncertain about the status of the front office, because from an outside perspective it seems like they have to have pressure on them to do something big after completing this rebuild, or else. There's a legitimate scenario where I do everything I can and they're "Joe Girardi-ing" me early in 2024 if the team hasn't met their goals, especially if I'm being hired as a guy outside their "family". 

Oh, and the organization historically doesn't like paying their managers well, that might be a worry too. 

The reality is probably somewhere in-between that and your statement. There's an opportunity here, but a lot of work to do to realize it, and there could actually be some pressure on me in this role to make it happen because of the outside situation. If Espada had 2 offers for example, I would bet it would come down to money more than anything else. 

If? Don't you usually?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They did give TLR 4M per to do his best Weekend at Bernie's impression, so maybe the times are a'changing

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What is it about the Marlins current situation and their history that could possibly make them more attractive,  unless you really loved 2020 and they try to recreate that experience every home game? Every team has warts.The Sox, with all of theirs, still have fewer than the others looking for a manager. And one thing you would know is the guy hiring you is going to be around no matter how long of a contract you sign. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic