White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd live in IL 10x/10 over either of those. Ew. 

Also, ask Texans about polar vortex events and their heating bills. People froze to death. I'd rather pay taxes and not freeze or pay up the ass for heating when it gets cold. 

Ok...Ask away. 

I know the real differences...and where I am choosing to live.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd live in IL 10x/10 over either of those. Ew. 

Also, ask Texans about polar vortex events and their heating bills. People froze to death. I'd rather pay taxes and not freeze or pay up the ass for heating when it gets cold. 

Well, I live in Texas and have since 1994. This post is nonsense, I don't think we even ran the heater last winter.

You can make the argument for Florida, but there are very few better places to live than Texas if were talking about weather and cost of living.

In December when you're shoveling snow in 20 degree weather I will be outside in shorts and a t-shirt in mid 60's and sunny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Unless the Sox sign Maddon, and since they haven't contacted him, it seems a Longshot, they aren't paying anyone what they paid Tony. Washington would probably command the most, but he hasn't managed in a long while and wasn't exactly manager or Man of the year the last time he made out a line up card.

Just now, T R U said:

Well, I live in Texas and have since 1994. This post is nonsense, I don't think we even ran the heater last winter.

You can make the argument for Florida, but there are very few better places to live than Texas if were talking about weather and cost of living.

In December when you're shoveling snow in 20 degree weather I will be outside in shorts and a t-shirt in mid 60's and sunny.

Whoever manages the Sox will most likely spend their winters in Phoenix.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I'd rather shovel snow than deal with Texas summers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How much time do you spend outside in the summer in Illinois? I feel like it wouldn't be that miserable in Texas if you're someone who already doesn't spend that much time outside anyway.

Tons. I don't go outside when it's above 85 unless it's really dry. Huge difference between a dry 88 and a humid 88. 

A really humid 78 is even unbearable to me at times. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How much time do you spend outside in the summer in Illinois? I feel like it wouldn't be that miserable in Texas if you're someone who already doesn't spend that much time outside anyway.

Going to guess that AC is his best friend in the summer.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Texas has nice weather from March-early May. And then October to around December. January and February is usually when we see the odd snow storm or cold front. I do prefer it to having to shovel snow regularly and it being 10-20 degrees out regularly, but the summers here suck. It sucks to go outside in the middle of the day in July and August. It also didn't rain this year for like 2 months and it was constantly 100+ out every day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I work at home, usually stay in during the day and it still sucks. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Ok...Ask away. 

I know the real differences...and where I am choosing to live.

So it turns out people have different preferences when it comes to choosing a home state.  Got it.  Can we not do the whole proxy culture war that is the Illinois vs. Texas/Florida debate?  Boring.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So it turns out people have different preferences when it comes to choosing a home state.  Got it.  Can we not do the whole proxy culture war that is the Illinois vs. Texas/Florida debate?  Boring.

I didn't make the original, umbrella statement.

11 minutes ago, T R U said:

How much did you pay for heating during the polar vortex event a couple years ago? 

I heard it was a disaster.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I wanted to view the White Sox as negatively as possible, I'd that on the field they have a team that could compete right now, but that starting as soon as 2024 they could potentially be past their peak and losing pieces they can't replace. They have a weak system and not a lot of room to add players, so there's going to be an enormous amount of pressure on me to win immediately because they might not get a second chance after 2023. On top of that, I'd also be uncertain about the status of the front office, because from an outside perspective it seems like they have to have pressure on them to do something big after completing this rebuild, or else. There's a legitimate scenario where I do everything I can and they're "Joe Girardi-ing" me early in 2024 if the team hasn't met their goals, especially if I'm being hired as a guy outside their "family". 

Oh, and the organization historically doesn't like paying their managers well, that might be a worry too. 

The reality is probably somewhere in-between that and your statement. There's an opportunity here, but a lot of work to do to realize it, and there could actually be some pressure on me in this role to make it happen because of the outside situation. If Espada had 2 offers for example, I would bet it would come down to money more than anything else. 

The money could be an issue, but not sure I’m overly worried about competing for a first time manager with the Marlins & Royals.  The money shouldn’t be big.

Also, when Tony took the role this was one the best jobs in baseball.  No doubt it’s not anywhere as attractive as it was once, but there is still a ton of talent on the roster.  Honestly, it’s hard to gauge what we have given the Tony factor, but I wouldn’t be completely surprised if outsiders view this as a much better opportunity than Sox fans do.  Out of all the players who underperformed last year, Grandal is the only one that you can confidently say likely is cooked. I’ll keep saying it, but put a manager with a pulse in the dugout and this suddenly is a much better club.

Finally, while the system certainly isn’t good, it’s made major strides over the past 12 months.  There is a pretty solid group of positional prospects that should be ready in the next two years or so and a ton of pitching in the lower minors.  I think it’s good enough to not be a major deterrent when it comes to competing against other potential landing spots like KC & Miami.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The point was a human being is most likely not basing their decision solely on the state of the baseball franchise. When you also consider where you will be living for half of the year or so and how much money the government is going to take from your paycheck that plays into it as well.

I was born and raised in Illinois, will always love that its where I am from and say it proudly.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic