White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

Just now, Dick Allen said:

How many dissippointing seasons did the Sox have when Ozxie managed them previously? I wonder if that can be a consideration. 

Or disappointing seasons in Miami. Interesting they have a managerial opening but don't seem interested in a reunion. I wonder why that is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Not enough context in here.

Vince Velasquez put up a 4.78 ERA, while that was his best in 4 years it is literally the difference between 4.78 and 4.85 in a year when offense is down. He was worth 0.4 WAR in 2022 and 0.4 WAR in the shortened 2020 season by B-R. Basically they took a guy who was an unreliable starter who has an ERA just below 5, put him in the bullpen, and got an ERA just below 5. Bragging rights!

You say “when pitchers go down” as though their training and response have nothing to do with that. Like the day where they sent Kopech out to pitch after he was already hurt during warmups. The pitching coach somehow didn’t notice that his pitcher couldn’t go? Come on.

Aaron Bummer specifically, in addition to Giolito, is a guy who has gone significantly backwards since Katz arrived. 1.50 WHIP this year. If he was actually hurt, why was he pitching? 

With Keuchel…so other people weren’t better, but that isn’t exactly a selling point for this guy?

The overall setup is still the same. Getting an ERA of 4.76 out of Velasquez is not a selling point. For the amount of resources put into this pen and this rotation, their performance isn’t in any way exceptional. It could well be acceptable, but “this guy is tolerable” isn’t an argument for why he must be kept at all costs.

The white Sox were 15th in IL days used by pitchers, so again hard to claim much of a problem there. They were also much closer to the team with the fewest days lost than to the most. Most of the playoff teams were ahead of them, and honestly if the Sox had more depth they could have used more.

But regardless hard to see Injuries as something held against him, every team has injuries to pitchers.

But sure, it’s a sign he sucks that he still got better production out of shitty bargain bin pitcher Vince Velazquez as a starter than his previous year, and matched the year before it.

Or, it could be the case that the Sox were only 10th in pitching WAR despite heavy investment because Rick Hahn spent a lot of money on the worst Fa profile of veteran middle relief pitcher because Rick Hahn had no options even remotely passable.

Why isn’t Katz please being a good pitching coach and showing these boys how to pitch

D2CC615E-9CF5-4908-A0D2-2402ED235BD0.png

Great team to pull from:

The Charlotte Knights finished 58-92, dead-last across the board: division, International League, all of Triple-A. They finished 28 games out of first place for the full season, with a run differential of an astounding -224. Charlotte finished 30th of 30 teams in Triple-A.”

https://www.southsidesox.com/platform/amp/2022/10/12/23400247/charlotte-knights-2022-final-stats

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not when it supposedly started.

That's true and if that's fine for you, that's fine too. Bunch of people in this thread trying to rewrite history though and act like the Astros cheating scandal stopped at the World Series or that their own bench coach past that didn't know about it.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That's true and if that's fine for you, that's fine too. Bunch of people in this thread trying to rewrite history though and act like the Astros cheating scandal stopped at the World Series or that their own bench coach past that didn't know about it.

Doubtful that they were/are the only team cheating.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes they haven’t been wrong since I’ve followed them a year ago. I wish they had been wrong as most of their info was negative and it was accurate.

To be fair, Eloy vs The Wall oftentimes piggybacks off Northbrook Bob, so it’s really one dude saying this.  Doesn’t mean he’s wrong, but very odd this would leak and be totally fabricated.  Seems there is more to this than meets the eye.

I'm going to guess that Mike jumped the gun again.  It may still turn out to be true, but we have to wait & see.  Astros are likely headed to the World Series and all parties involved might not want anything to distract from his duties with the club.  We have no corroboration yet, but no one reputable has shot it down yet either.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I'm going to guess that Mike jumped the gun again.  It may still turn out to be true, but we have to wait & see.  Astros are likely headed to the World Series and all parties involved might not want anything to distract from his duties with the club.  We have no corroboration yet, but no one reputable has shot it down yet either.

Most likely misled and the rumor just spread unfortunately. Things happen. Sounds like he’s not a candidate anymore though. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Or that same group of reporters using the Sox as leverage against another club, like the Marlins.

We saw Gomez do it with Cruz. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a similar situation.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Most likely misled and the rumor just spread unfortunately. Things happen. Sounds like he’s not a candidate anymore though. 

See, you are jumping the gun assuming he is no longer a candidate.  We know absolutely nothing.  As far as we know nothing has changed and he is still in the running.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Or that same group of reporters using the Sox as leverage against another club, like the Marlins.

We saw Gomez do it with Cruz. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a similar situation.

That is a possibility.  

Just now, Tnetennba said:

The Ozzie interview coming from the bargain basement Sox PR account feels like both deflection and mere courtesy.  Ozzie no doubt wants to manage again, and the Sox might just be throwing him a solid.

Could be, but timing is also suspect. I'm sure Ozzie is ALSO seeing these rumors that we're going with Espada on the day it's announced he's getting an interview next week. Seems pretty easy for him to be like "hey, did you already hire someone and are just dicking me around here?"

I can't imagine any front office would put themselves in a position to be embarrassed if the answer is yes and Ozzie finds out and publicly blasts them. Even this FO has to be smarter than that.

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Could be, but timing is also suspect. I'm sure Ozzie is ALSO seeing these rumors that we're going with Espada on the day it's announced he's getting an interview next week. Seems pretty easy for him to be like "hey, did you already hire someone and are just dicking me around here?"

I can't imagine any front office would put themselves in a position to be embarrassed if the answer is yes and Ozzie finds out and publicly blasts them. Even this FO has to be smarter than that.

Which is why I don't think its official yet.  But I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that Espada is no longer a candidate based on tweets by White Sox Talk and or Northside Bob.

• Like 1

My hunch: Hahn reads the message boards and sees the fans like Espada so he starts his rumor leaking to give him cover that whatever terrible manager they choose, people will think Hahn was handcuffed and wanted Espada.

Its literally the only thing Hahn is good at.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe Sox don’t want Espada because they know it’s a short-term stay, as he will leave for Houston once Dusty leaves?

Then sign him to a contract and not some day to day thing

• Thanks 2

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic