White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Hahn discluding Ozzie in the previous search may have just been reflective of what they had decided as a group. But yeah. I just don't see Ozzie being hired.  Why would they want that circus back, including his sons? It doesnt really make sense from any of the 3's standpoint.

If the front office is on a mission to probe that baseball was played correctly in 2005, and all these nerds have done is foul it up - they don’t need exit velocity, they need TWTW - TLR and Ozzie would be ideal candidates.

This might also explain why they would hesitate to extend Benetti. And why the last 2 hitting coaches have preached hitting the ball on the ground.

Seems to me Espada said 'no' and someone jumped the gun reporting his selection. Has happened before. Honestly, I was skeptical at first about his selection because Miami seemed to be a more desired destination for him (he has a house in south Florida with his family) or he was happy where he was currently, knowing Dusty won't be around forever.

However, I was fine with Espada, even excited. I am also fine with Ozzie if it comes to that. What's the difference between 2020 and 2022? Last season. A fanbase turning on the team, uninspired play, and no real direction from the front office plagued last season. No matter who the manager will be, he is on the hot seat immediately. This job is not an easy one. Maybe someone like Espada would get a honeymoon of sorts but that wouldn't last long. Plus, if the thought is the team mirrored Tony's vibe this past season, man, I hope that is true with Ozzie. At least it won't be boring.

Let him interview. If KW and Ozzie are willing to bury the hatchet from 10 years ago, I don't see a problem. This team needs focus and energy (and better health). If that doesn't happen, it doesn't matter who is manager.

• Like 1

I get the thought of interviewing  Ozzie is just doing him a solid, there is no interest in hiring him. But would it really be a solid? If JR isn't going to pull the trigger with him, who would? JR has recommended him for a couple of jobs. But if he hires someone else, why would anyone even consider his advice?

• Like 2

From DVS's story in the Sun-Times Saturday morning:

But he (Guillen) told the Sun-Times that, as of Friday, he wasn’t interviewing for the job, contrary to reports he already had or will next week.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2022/10/22/23414917/time-is-right-to-look-outside-organization-for-next-white-sox-manager

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Exactly. So I would like a manager to deal with those flaws primarily. The core talent is here. Just needs to be used correctly.

I don't think the core talent is good enough. Whether it's health, defense, or power, we don't have the same talent as the top teams. 

42 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

But he (Guillen) told the Sun-Times that, as of Friday, he wasn’t interviewing for the job, contrary to reports he already had or will next week.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2022/10/22/23414917/time-is-right-to-look-outside-organization-for-next-white-sox-manager

Amazing 

4 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The only sense I can make out of interviewing Ozzie is getting his opinion on what he'd change with the club. Even doing that I hate bc of the circus that surrounds it. Other than that, Ozzie doesn't have any of the laid out characteristics from Hahn's presser. Last managed 10 years ago, last winning season 12 years ago, made the playoffs in two out of nine tries. Sure, he won a world series as a manager, but that was nearly 17 years ago. Not exactly "recent success" by any stretch. 

That's because what Hahn wants means nothing.  It's the old owner who really matters.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I will once again reiterate that nobody knows nothin about the White Sox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Things that make ya go “hummm”

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

I’m not gonna lie… I don’t hate the idea of Ozzie…

Much rather would prefer about 4 or 5 other folks but I could manipulate my mind into getting behind it.

On one hand it would be a disappointment for sure but…. I like he has rapport with the players, he had his moments with us before shitting the bed…. And I think the potential for him having something to prove would go along with the players also having something to prove.

He did a good job of demanding players play hard… I’m pretty sure he speaks Spanish even.

Brownies anyone ? Tasty and  great for manipulating your mind.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

I’m not gonna lie… I don’t hate the idea of Ozzie…

Much rather would prefer about 4 or 5 other folks but I could manipulate my mind into getting behind it.

On one hand it would be a disappointment for sure but…. I like he has rapport with the players, he had his moments with us before shitting the bed…. And I think the potential for him having something to prove would go along with the players also having something to prove.

He did a good job of demanding players play hard… I’m pretty sure he speaks Spanish even.

These are mighty fine points, hi.

I wouldn't hate another round with the Ozzeroo. I want to believe he would have better control of his own mouth after all these years out of uniform.

I can not believe he would have better control of his childrens' mouths, however, and to me is the dealbreaker.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Q anon in me swears the Sox are selectively leaking s%*# rumors to see who talks and to burn sources and leaks.  There is so many people claiming inside knowledge who are telling completely different stories that something more has to be going on.

People that are okay with Guillen managing are falling for the Ditka affect.  The fond memory of a former manager/coach based on nostalgia versus reality.  Do you remember Ozzieball.  I mean not the 2005 season, the rest of it.  Do you remember his kids and the twitter s%*#.  I see some very frustrating baseball and that TWTW crap coming out of hte woodwork.  I see fights with umpires, fights with media, and other teams players.  I see bunting for no reason.  I see nothing that plays into modern baseball.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

People that are okay with Guillen managing are falling for the Ditka affect.  The fond memory of a former manager/coach based on nostalgia versus reality.  Do you remember Ozzieball.  I mean not the 2005 season, the rest of it.  Do you remember his kids and the twitter s%*#.  I see some very frustrating baseball and that TWTW crap coming out of hte woodwork.  I see fights with umpires, fights with media, and other teams players.  I see bunting for no reason.  I see nothing that plays into modern baseball.  

I think most of this board gets this. Everyone and their mother on FB/Twitter is a different story…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bossanoveralls said:

These are mighty fine points, hi.

I wouldn't hate another round with the Ozzeroo. I want to believe he would have better control of his own mouth after all these years out of uniform.

I can not believe he would have better control of his childrens' mouths, however, and to me is the dealbreaker.

Didn't we say Tony was away from managing too long? Why make the same mistake again?

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic