White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Melissa1334 said:

I just don’t think it would be as horrible as people make it out to be if it happened.  But yea I get the whole typical Sox move, needing change , get someone from the outside and let them choose their coaches etc 

We do know that they aren't going to be able to choose their coaches. At least not entirely. When is the last time a Sox managerial hire was able to name their entire staff? I'm guessing not since we'll before LaRussas first stint 43 years ago. And besides, would you want a guy who has never managed or hasn't managed in 10 years to pick his staff? I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The only problem I have with Espada is the love for him is based off of nothing. He is a coach on a good team.  We have no idea what his philosophies are. We have no idea what he even does all day. But this is how it goes in all sports. College and pro. The assistant on a good team or in college basketball, the head coach on a Cinderella gets to be the hot ticket. A lot of times, maybe even most, these guys fail. Sometimes they prove to be beyond worthy. For years people wanted Davey Martinez because he sat next to Joe Maddon during games. Now people don’t want Joe Maddon. People want Espada because he sits next to Dusty Baker during games. Dusty has never been praised on this board. Anyone who says they know what this guy is will not be telling you the truth. He is a mystery, but at least he isn’t LaRussa. I think the team needs a vocal guy. A guy that isn’t afraid to confront a player if they aren’t playing correctly. They don’t have to get in his face and try to embarrass him, but the point needs to get through. Enough lackadaisical play.

This is a great point if true—I, however, have been assuming others driving these rumors (on this board or in the media) know more about him than I do and that the hype is more than just an empty bubble.  Perhaps I am wrong, though. 

• Like 1

In a departure from his stance earlier this season, Dusty Baker sounded uncertain about whether he wants to manage the club next year. Neither Baker nor general manager James Click is under contract next season. Baker did not offer a direct answer to whether he “would prefer to manage next year.”

“I don't want to be a distraction to my team. I'll let you know at the end of this year,” Baker responded. 

Owner Jim Crane offered Click a tepid vote of confidence during a three-minute interview session with a throng of Houston-based media during pregame batting practice at Yankee Stadium. 

“James is doing fine,” Crane said. ‘We’ve got to finish up this season. He’s done a good job.”

Click has declined all comment on his future.

Pressed more about Click and Baker’s futures, Crane responded “I’ve already answered that question.” On Friday, Crane told the New York Post in a text message “I will make a decision after the season is over on both contracts. That has not changed.” 

Some relevant quotes yesterday about the possibility of changes in Staff in Houston.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Dusty-Baker-James-Click-uncertain-future-Astros-17527456.php

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why can’t we hear who the Sox finalists are? Oh yeah, probably Ozzie or Washington…

To be honest, it makes me think they have someone in mind that they can’t officially pull the trigger on.  Maybe Long?  Why else let the Marlins have the opportunity to offer a job before you?

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be honest, it makes me think they have someone in mind that they can’t officially pull the trigger on.  Maybe Long?  Why else let the Marlins have the opportunity to offer a job before you?

Espada, named a finalist for the Marlins, is in the same spot as Long.

Just wish we had some concrete names instead of the inevitable former manager/player hire.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

21 hours ago, Slobber House said:

Nice. Just because 70% of my posts aren't just yelling out a players name when they do something in a game thread like lot's of others around here shouldn't mean anything as far as trying to interact with you guys 

Hey, is that Eric Soderholm in your post picture? He was pretty good for the Sox in 77-78.

Probably would have been a really good player but for his knee problems.

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which may add credibility that Espada is not their guy.

The Astros look like they're about roll to another World Series title. If that happens, you'd have to think there's a reasonable chance Dusty retires and they give the reigns to Espada. He may not be in a rush to take a job from a lesser organization right now.

Why do the Sox take so long? Take the Astros guy and be done with it. I can't see Ozzie. Does he have a chance? If the Sox picked Ozzie it would be the Sox front office doing Oz a favor as they did Tony. That'd be weird to go with a skipper just to reward one guy. Tony hiring was to right a wrong in the past when Hawk canned a Hall of Famer. Oz would be just to thank him for 05 and give him a chance to be managerial and not the mouth that roared. 

Taking quite a chance with Ozz since he's said so much bad stuff in past.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Sleepy Harold- I saw you got blocked, did you recently message him or mention him?

Yeah I said he shouldn't be manager a couple days ago since he didn't meet any of the criteria laid out by RH, so I'm guessing that's why. Still, some soft behavior IMO. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Yeah I said he shouldn't be manager a couple days ago since he didn't meet any of the criteria laid out by RH, so I'm guessing that's why. Still, some soft behavior from IMO. 

Yet he wants to get back into the manager’s seat and have to face even stronger scrutiny.  I can envision the temper tantrums at the slightest criticism.  

• Fire 2

To further piss off White Sox fans even more, I’m waiting for the following news to drop soon: 

“BREAKING, White Sox bring Ventura out of retirement, will be their next manager. Nightengale first to report”  

It sounds silly. But nothing is out of the realm of possibilities for this inept White Sox front office. They suck. A triumvirate of clowns🤡 

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

"Letting Tony retire was the second or third biggest mistake of my career, we've all lost track. He's back!" 

JR after the World Series. 

Don't let TLR be the Billy Martin to Jerry....

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're doing a lot of interviews. Washington has his supporters so I think he's still in the mix.  

So Kenny, I figure Hahn wants Espada.  Then you have the wild card.  What does the old man want that will over ride everything.  

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic