White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think cancelling Soxfest had more to do with lack of space than anything else. This organization doesn't care about fan outrage. They never have. 

A few on here have said for years the White Sox hate their fans. I have always laughed it off, but, while not there yet, I am getting closer to buying it. They do treat their fanbase as more of a necessary evil than any team I know.

32 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Right?  As I posted before, If they are going to hire within the organization, then why not just hire the best Manager they have within the organization, Justin Jirschele, instead of Chris Getz who has no experience as a manager?  What is so special about Getz?  What's wrong with Jirschele?

Didn't they convince him to leave the field to be a manager?  If so why not hire him than the charade that is going on now.

Hahn's comments as to the hiring parameters of the new guy, similar to the the old guy needing dugout experience on a championship level team seems to be complete bullshit.   Why would he even add that again that this  go around.

I am starting to believe they have no clue and while there are only 30 of these jobs the White Sox job is not looked at favorably for those candidate's that can wait.  With 4 days off Kevin Long should be interviewed today or tomorrow.  

• Like 1

I’ll stick with my original prediction - Espada will take over for Dusty or be the Marlins manager.

Still rooting for the Sox to take Quatraro, but it’s the Sox. Anything going on with Mike Shildt? Haven’t heard his name for any of these openings.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Didn't they convince him to leave the field to be a manager?  If so why not hire him than the charade that is going on now.

Hahn's comments as to the hiring parameters of the new guy, similar to the the old guy needing dugout experience on a championship level team seems to be complete bullshit.   Why would he even add that again that this  go around.

I am starting to believe they have no clue and while there are only 30 of these jobs the White Sox job is not looked at favorably for those candidate's that can wait.  With 4 days off Kevin Long should be interviewed today or tomorrow.  

With only 30 of these jobs in the world, and baseball not being splitting the atom difficult,  you would think they could hire a pretty spectacular manager by accident.

• Like 3

Just now, flavum said:

I’ll stick with my original prediction - Espada will take over for Dusty or be the Marlins manager.

Still rooting for the Sox to take Quatraro, but it’s the Sox. Anything going on with Mike Shildt? Haven’t heard his name for any of these openings.

The way Shildt left STL, wouldn't surprise me if he is on a few do not hire lists.

2 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Why can’t anyone see that Bochy was their guy? Hahn practically described him to a tee in his search comments and the day Bochy was announced as the Rangers manager, we get competing stories on the Sox manager. 

We are onto plan B now.

My guy would be Alomar Jr. JR,and KW love him, and he knows what is wrong with the White Sox.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The way Shildt left STL, wouldn't surprise me if he is on a few do not hire lists.

He just seems like a guy that deserves a second job. The record in St Louis was good, and he paid his dues for a long time in their very good minor league system. If he’s never getting another manager interview, there must be a story there. 

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wouldn’t Getz rather be GM once KW retires and Hahn gets moved up to EVP of Baseball Operations?  Seems like he’s leapfrogged Haber to be next man up.

Why does Getz working with the Royals after everything fell apart at the seams with that organization make him uniquely qualified for anything beyond Wal Mart greeter? 

Are we attempting to recreate another Dayton Moore type regime? 

Why would that make even the least amount of sense with his lack of experience as a manager at any level. 

Kenny Williams would make just as much if not more sense, it's so improbable. 

Why not add Marco Paddy and Hector Mendoza into the mix too, lol? 

Does anyone really believe a Getz or Beckham have the swag/cultural cache to get anything more out of Moncada, Grandal and Robert, for example?   Why/how? 

By some of the arguments, we would be better off sneaking the Cuban National/WHBC manager into the US and installing him as manager.  It makes about as much sense. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

He just seems like a guy that deserves a second job. The record in St Louis was good, and he paid his dues for a long time in their very good minor league system. If he’s never getting another manager interview, there must be a story there. 

One negative,  he is endorsed by TLR, and even if Tony had nothing to do with the hire, a lot of people, including me, wouldn't believe he didnt. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One negative,  he is endorsed by TLR, and even if Tony had nothing to do with the hire, a lot of people, including me, wouldn't believe he didnt. 

"While he was reportedly beloved by his players, some things happened that led to John Mozeliak, Cardinals president of baseball operations, firing him after a tumultuous season rife with injuries and concerns but ultimately getting to the NL Wild Card game. While the reasons given by Mozeliak were noted as “philosophical differences,” the real reasoning is pure speculation and likely why teams were hesitant to hire Shildt as a new manager."

https://redbirdrants.com/2021/12/14/new-job-mike-shildt-cardinals-baseball/

Plus, he was with the hated Padres this past season.  That won't work around here. 

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A few on here have said for years the White Sox hate their fans. I have always laughed it off, but, while not there yet, I am getting closer to buying it. They do treat their fanbase as more of a necessary evil than any team I know.

Except the A's this season and maybe the Reds. 

Rockies?  DBacks?  Marlins?  

Definitely bottom 5 after this season. 

Can't even say the actual fan treatment by the team is better than Detroit or KC.  Would argue on the side of worse. 

45 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If Getz is hired, I'd be less concerned with how he got the job or who made the decision than I would be about the job he can do.  With the right bench coach, he could be a good manager.  He's young and would almost certainly rely on statistics.  He'd have a good rapport with the players (think David Ross minus the crotch bumps).  He'd definitely bring more life to this team.

I'm not saying he's the best guy for the job.  And I'm definitely not saying he's more deserving than others.  Maybe I'm just trying to look at the positives if this were to happen.  Maybe I need to drink more beer.

This is where I agree.

We all know the sox aren't going to hire the best guy for the job.

But at least getz will remove some of Hahn's obfuscation on whether the team would be performing better if it followed more of his offices edicts.

That's helpful! I think hahn is absolute trash as a GM, but many are convinced TLR caused many of the teams faults last year and was at odds with Hahn.

Well, Getz would remove that obstacle and align more of the player dev instructs to the major league level, and has a better rapport with Hahn. 

If they succeed, Hahn can say I told you so. If they fail, there is one less mirror he can use.

I guess what I'm saying is we're already dying and this may get us to peace faster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 2:08 PM, he gone. said:

If this was as true is you'd like it to be Ozzie wouldn't be doing pre and post game. Reinsdorf owns 50% of that station and in no way rubber stamp an hour of ozzie giving his thoughts everyday on the team if he burned a bridge that large. 

I think at the very least they will (or have) talked to him. Maybe not as a serious hire, maybe just as an advisor, but I'd think it's more likely than not they've spoke to him.

I realize that Ozzie apparently has interviewed for the Sox manager's job. However prior to Ozzie getting an interview, as I stated a few times, it was documented by Reinsdorf himself by the Chicago Tribune on Aug 17 2017 stating the comments Jerry made in a USA Today interview.

White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf made clear he'd like to see Ozzie Guillen manage in the major leagues again. He said he's recommended Guillen for jobs. Reinsdorf also made clear Guillen wouldn't be doing so with the Sox.

In a recent interview with USA Today, Reinsdorf said Guillen "burned some bridges when he left here" to manage the Marlins in 2012 and said, "He just can't come back here."

Keep in mind, even though Jerry allowed Ozzie to be part of the pre and post game studio shows, that is such an unimportant position relative to the magnitude a being the manager for the White Sox, which obviously Ozzie coveted. It's not like Jerry said Ozzie couldn't be a part of the studios shows, he just said publicly, that he can't be a manager again. 

Having said that, once again this just proves that not only is Jerry a POS owner and a clueless executive/owner, he now has officially attached to his legacy that he lacks a serious of amount of integrity.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I mean also that is just a sweet job, and when the Cardinals have moved on it's hard to point to where they've been wrong.

Matheny was fired, he gets gobbled up by the Royals and ...yeah he was terrible. They were right.

Schildt comes in, has the same success everyone has in STL, but they relied on the wild card last year. This year they slayed the central and didn't need to win a miracle number of games straight to do it. Hard to say they were wrong.

It's not impressive to win in STL. 

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You believe these Northbrook Bob & Eloy vs. Wall characters or have you heard something similar?  Last I checked Mike Rodriguez hasn’t moved off his initial report that it will be Espada.

Northbrook Bob is solid. 

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic