White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

On 10/20/2022 at 1:56 PM, Joshua Strong said:

Katz wasn’t hired to coach one guy. he gets no credit for developing Cease? Kopech, Cueto, Martin?

I realize Katz wasn't hired to coach one guy. The fact is, he got the job because of the off-season transformation he did for Giolito. Having said that, if Katz was so good and knew Lucas so well, why didn't he fix him?

I am not convinced Katz had much to do with the pitchers you mentioned either.

- It is my personal opinion that Katz had little to do with Cease improving as it was more centered around the hard work Dylan put in on his own. 

- As far a Kopech goes, there is zero credit to take because thus far, Kopech still is labeled as hopeful and a huge potential pitcher, but he is not a healthy and proven starter yet.

- There is absolutely no credit for Cueto as he is his own man.

- Martin was in Charlotte more than he was here under Katz the last two years.

Again, I did not say Katz is a bad pitching coach. He may or may not be good. I simply feel a new manager coming in should have the right to hire his own pitching coach, as well as the other coaches. If the new manager wants to keep Katz then that is his prerogative.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, Snopek said:

Hahn’s just waiting for the manager market to present itself or whatever nonsense he normally says.

Yep you said it right...its plain stupid nonsense the method in which Hahn takes his lazy approach and doesn't get the top candidates in early. Hence why we'll end up with a 2nd rate retread manager.

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

So doesn’t Mike Rodriguez need to explain himself about the Espada report? 

I think he can still get the benefit of the doubt until

1) The Sox hire someone else
2) Espada is hired somewhere else

Until then, you're asking him to explain himself because other people with sources are saying his source is wrong. Wouldn't they then need to explain themselves if they're wrong?

On 10/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, Tnetennba said:

Dear gawd please someone hire Ozzie elsewhere.  He just needs to go away for good. 

If Ozzie was so coveted by other teams, he would have already been a manager in the last few years. Other than the Sox, I'm not so sure he is in high demand in the league.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think cancelling Soxfest had more to do with lack of space than anything else. This organization doesn't care about fan outrage. They never have. 

Yeah, I call major bullshit on this one. If this team was headed to the World Series right now, you think they aren't having a 2023 Soxfest, because of "lack of space?" 

Come on 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They should hire nobody….just let it run itself. They may have more luck.

Couldn't they just use a game console of some kind?

Just plug in the parameters of the situation before every pitch. It does the math and spews out managerial instructions kinda ticker tape style?

Then everybody can argue with a stupid fucking machine.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Just plug in the parameters of the situation before every pitch. It does the math and spews out managerial instructions kinda ticker tape style?

Could you imagine what it would be like when the machine argues balls and strikes with the automatic umpires who are also machines? 🤣

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, I call major bullshit on this one. If this team was headed to the World Series right now, you think they aren't having a 2023 Soxfest, because of "lack of space?" 

Come on 

I have no idea. I just assumed that there would be no Soxfest because the details usually come out in like July and nothing happened. 

10 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I've mentioned this a couple times (for reasons that will be obvious in a moment), but in my 2010 Road to the Show I got drafted by the Cardinals.

My guy was hitting .375 with 30 homers or something stupid, but because I didn't walk, Virtual Tony LaRussa benched me. 

So...yeah.

44 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I realize Katz wasn't hired to coach one guy. The fact is, he got the job because of the off-season transformation he did for Giolito. Having said that, if Katz was so good and knew Lucas so well, why didn't he fix him?

I am not convinced Katz had much to do with the pitchers you mentioned either.

- It is my personal opinion that Katz had little to do with Cease improving as it was more centered around the hard work Dylan put in on his own. 

- As far a Kopech goes, there is zero credit to take because thus far, Kopech still is labeled as hopeful and a huge potential pitcher, but he is not a healthy and proven starter yet.

- There is absolutely no credit for Cueto as he is his own man.

- Martin was in Charlotte more than he was here under Katz the last two years.

Again, I did not say Katz is a bad pitching coach. He may or may not be good. I simply feel a new manager coming in should have the right to hire his own pitching coach, as well as the other coaches. If the new manager wants to keep Katz then that is his prerogative.

Katz is buds with Cueto which was a factor in signing Jhonny I am fairly certain.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Look.

The bottom line for me, whomever they hire, is what is the plan for Leury Garcia.

Bless his heart. A little Leury goes a long way, I always say.

I think I got about five years worth just last season and I'm full up to hyar.

Remember when Veeck took over the club the second time and Ron Schuler was under contract as a pitcher but couldn't pitch any more so Veeck made him pitching coach to save a few bucks?

Are you ready for Manager Leury Garcia? (don't have kittens, it's a joke)

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I wonder what it feels like to be a fan of a team that conducts real, serious managerial searches.

To be fair, we have no information that they are not conducing a full search. I get not giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like no one really knows anything yet. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

A few on here have said for years the White Sox hate their fans. I have always laughed it off, but, while not there yet, I am getting closer to buying it. They do treat their fanbase as more of a necessary evil than any team I know.

JR and Coop both liked to blame the existing fans for the lack of more existing fans. As if it were a failed Ponzi scheme I guess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Someone needs to explain to JR that every one of his employees, were at one time, non White Sox employees.  It's OK to hire from the outside. 

This is not true for his core guys in terms of having any relevant baseball executive or managing experience before being hired.

• Hawk Harrelson was Jerry’s first big hire, straight out of the broadcast booth with zero executive experience to replace the competent and beloved GM Jerry inherited.
  • Kenny Williams was hired as a scout by the Sox in 1992 after he retired as a player. 
  • Rick Hahn was a players agent for two years before being hired by Jerry in 2002 to handle contracts for Kenny.
  • Don Cooper was hired in 1988 after retiring as a player, promoted to pitching coach in 2002 and outlasted four managers.
  • Robin Ventura retired from playing in 2005, dabbled in TV and had zero experience beyond player until he was hired four months prior to his manager job as Buddy Bell’s “special assistant” in June of 2011.
  • Harold Baines (2004) and Daryl Boston  (2001) also have lasted multiple managerial terms as coaches after being hired after retirement with zero outside coaching experience.

42 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

To be fair, we have no information that they are not conducing a full search. I get not giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like no one really knows anything yet. 

It feels like a situation where names have been floated and it seems like they've done a legit search but ultimately hire someone from the White Sox family they are familiar with.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Can we just manage by committee from Soxtalk? Soxtalk California branch can handle the West coast games, the guy who lives in Seattle can handle when they play in Seattle, the guy who lives in/near Minneapolis can manage when they are in to play the Twins, Soxtalk Chicagoland area gets home games/when they play the Cubs, and naturally, Greg gets to manage when they are in KC.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It feels like a situation where names have been floated and it seems like they've done a legit search but ultimately hire someone from the White Sox family they are familiar with.

I'm not going to judge this situation based on a bunch of leaks that are hard to follow just yet. About the only ones we've gotten are a handful of people who were definitely talked to, some official leaks that contradict each other (Ozzie's employer says he's interviewing and he tells the Sun Times he isn't), and a couple of potentially credible leaks that say it won't be Espada. 

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

"I can't believe the Marlins are screwing this up and not giving the job to Espada. If it was rumored on Twitter by a handful of random bloggers that he is the top candidate, then the job was suppose to be his.  These damn owners are always getting in the way. "    

It's all so silly at this point. 

As I mentioned earlier, it takes two to make a deal.  Espada would need to be equally interested to take any job that's offered to him.   The Astros are a huge player here.  

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Inexplicably, it works, leading to 29 other teams firing their managers to save cash.

Jerry smiles.

I figured he'd smile once he made this a sticking point to hold up the next CBA negotiations, ignoring the fact that managers aren't part of the union and therefore have nothing to do with the negotiations.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic