White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

8 hours ago, shago said:

Aaron Rowand, Joe Crede, and Steve Perry

Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede I agree.  In fact I still say getting rid of Rowand was the downfall of the 2006 team. IMO Steve Perry ruined Journey.  You had a hard rock band made up of great musician's and added a pop singer to sell records.  Great voice no argument, but I prefer pre Perry Journey.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede I agree.  In fact I still say getting rid of Rowand was the downfall of the 2006 team. IMO Steve Perry ruined Journey.  You had a hard rock band made up of great musician's and added a pop singer to sell records.  Great voice no argument, but I prefer pre Perry Journey.

I don't understand?  What is not hard rock about this?.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

It would be funny if we see Espada’s signature on Getz announcement page like we saw when TLR was hired. Nothing wouldn’t surprise me with this organization. 

Pretty sure if Espada and the Sox have already agreed on his hire, The Astro's, Sox and MLB wouldn't want it announced during the World Series while the Astro's are still playing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Hiring Getz and cancelling Soxfest to avoid the fans shows they don’t give a f*** about the fans or what they think. What a bunch of cowards. 

I'd just like to point out that Soxfest sucks.  There is no reason to subject our players to this.  They don't need to fly kids from the DR into hell on earth (Chicago in January) to sign autographs for fat guys in fake Paul Konerko jerseys.  It isn't good for business and is super awkward.

Those great Q&A sessions where we get footage of a season ticket holder from Orland mispronouncing prospect names while yelling at Rick have like 50 people in attendance, 25 of which are lost. 

99.8% of sox fest is weird people buying old bobbleheads and waiting 45 minutes for their third Harold Baines autograph because the Chicago winters are boring.

I wish the Sox would have just said "Soxfest sucks, so do we, and we aren't doing it anymore".  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 2

If this Northbrook Bob guy is to believed and the Sox have already ruled out Espada, you got to think there is already someone in mind for the job.  And if there is someone in the mind for the job, you think Hahn would accelerate a hiring decision to avoid competing with the Marlins or Royals unless said candidate is part of a playoff team.  And if said candidate is a part of a playoff team and it’s not Espada, then it’s got to be Kevin Long right?  Optimistic me says it has to be him, although the pessimistic me can’t quite shake the Getz rumor.  Hiring him and promoting KW Jr after acknowledging the organization has been too insular would be such a White Sox set of moves.

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'd just like to point out that Soxfest sucks.  There is no reason to subject our players to this.  They don't need to fly kids from the DR into hell on earth (Chicago in January) to sign autographs for fat guys in fake Paul Konerko jerseys.  It isn't good for business and is super awkward.

Those great Q&A sessions where we get footage of a season ticket holder from Orland mispronouncing prospect names while yelling at Rick have like 50 people in attendance, 25 of which are lost. 

99.8% of sox fest is weird people buying old bobbleheads and waiting 45 minutes for their third Harold Baines autograph because the Chicago winters are boring.

I wish the Sox would have just said "Soxfest sucks, so do we, and we aren't doing it anymore".  

No

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Why do other franchises...even historically bad ones, have zero problems putting together entertaining offseason events? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If this Northbrook Bob guy is to believed and the Sox have already ruled out Espada, you got to think there is already someone in mind for the job.  And if there is someone in the mind for the job, you think Hahn would accelerate a hiring decision to avoid competing with the Marlins or Royals unless said candidate is part of a playoff team.  And if said candidate is a part of a playoff team and it’s not Espada, then it’s got to be Kevin Long right?  Optimistic me says it has to be him, although the pessimistic me can’t quite shake the Getz rumor.  Hiring him and promoting KW Jr after acknowledging the organization has been too insular would be such a White Sox set of moves.

Not a lot of competition for Thome or Getz right now and you know how JR feels about competing against himself.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Or maybe that the front runner isn't one coveted by other teams because he has never coached before and isn't a real candidate by the rest of baseball.  What's the rush, make it look like you did a thorough job and hire the inside guy.  If we were competing or it was a real candidate they would of locked that person up already.   

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He's extremely reliable in the past. I have no doubt the Sox have moved on from Espada, for whatever illogical reasons they may have come up with. Or, maybe he doesn't want to take turns with Hahn and Kenny giving Jerry his sponge bath.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not a lot of competition for Thome or Getz right now and you know how JR feels about competing against himself.

29 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Or maybe that the front runner isn't one coveted by other teams because he has never coached before and isn't a real candidate by the rest of baseball.  What's the rush, make it look like you did a thorough job and hire the inside guy.  If we were competing or it was a real candidate they would of locked that person up already.   

Good point on not needing to move fast on the inside guys.  If it’s an internal hire, I do think Getz is far more likely than Thome.  We got to pray it’s somehow Kevin Long though.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good point on not needing to move fast on the inside guys.  If it’s an internal hire, I do think Getz is far more likely than Thome.  We got to pray it’s somehow Kevin Long though.

I say WTF? on all accounts.

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

This is the most insecure and judgemental take on Soxfest I have ever seen. Why worry so much about what Sox fans find entertainment in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 2
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

In its own way this is a funny reply. Made me smile. When you describe it this way, it sounds like a miserable experience.

Where do they hold it anyway? I think it'd be fun out in suburbia, downtown Naperville or somewhere. Or Lisle by the Sox facility there.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm surprised there's so much interest in who the next manager is. The window is gone and they are building a wall in it's place.

The stadium is burning down and we’re like “should they grab the bucket or the garden hose? No, no they wont grab the gasoline can right?”

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Hahn would've hired Espada. That's clearly not happening. 

Why couldn’t they wait until after the World Series to announce it?

11 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

If they're really going to hire from within the organization, why not just promote the best Manager within the organization, Justin Jirschele, instead of Chris Getz who has no managerial experience at all?  What's so special about Chris Getz?

He’s cheap and sucks the dicks of the owner and the FO. A yes man who won’t change anything.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What next, Kenny Williams taking the reigns? 

And what the heck happened to Justin Jirschele?  He was a huge favorite around here the last 2-3 seasons and big-time internal candidate,  much moreso than Getz. 

Seems like Jirschele was just a name that Soxtalk promoted.

10 hours ago, soxfan3530 said:

Where did this Getz stuff come from? Were there any reports on this? Why is everyone making it sound like its a done deal? Did I miss something?

A poster who many believe is an insider posted about it several pages back and the discussion turned. I’ve seen nothing reported.

8 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

They should hire nobody….just let it run itself. They may have more luck.

Or that psychologist who the Score and AM 1000 interviewed who said, “Tony, put Engel in, run Engel.”

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

In its own way this is a funny reply. Made me smile. When you describe it this way, it sounds like a miserable experience.

Where do they hold it anyway? I think it'd be fun out in suburbia, downtown Naperville or somewhere. Or Lisle by the Sox facility there.

They hold it at hotels downtown, a much better location than Naperville or Lisle. The event was a lot of fun when I was a kid and teenager. Cool memorabilia, fun meeting players and getting autographs. Not sure why so many people are crapping on the event here.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no idea. I just assumed that there would be no Soxfest because the details usually come out in like July and nothing happened. 

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/9/28/23377048/cubs-convention-return-2023

The Cubs announced on Sept 28 of this year...less than a month ago. 

Again, I'm calling bullshit. There is ZERO evidence to support anything other than they don't want to face a group of angry fans. They didn't even cite an actual reason for cancelling. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is the most insecure and judgemental take on Soxfest I have ever seen. Why worry so much about what Sox fans find entertainment in?

Insecure?  Judgmental?  This entire board that you have 170k posts on is 99% judgmental taeks on everything White Sox.

I made the post because I think people here don't really understand what Soxfest is (lines for autographs) and are really upset that it was cancelled because they think the organization is ducking the fans.  I strongly disagree that this was the reason. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

Why couldn’t they wait until after the World Series to announce it?

He’s cheap and sucks the dicks of the owner and the FO. A yes man who won’t change anything.

Seems like Jirschele was just a name that Soxtalk promoted.

A poster who many believe is an insider posted about it several pages back and the discussion turned. I’ve seen nothing reported.

Or that psychologist who the Score and AM 1000 interviewed who said, “Tony, put Engel in, run Engel.”

They hold it at hotels downtown, a much better location than Naperville or Lisle. The event was a lot of fun when I was a kid and teenager. Cool memorabilia, fun meeting players and getting autographs. Not sure why so many people are crapping on the event here.

I have never been an autograph guy, but I always like Soxfest for the seminars. You could ask KW and RH their thought process. Sure there was a lot of fluff, but is was a nice event leading to spring training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have never been an autograph guy, but I always like Soxfest for the seminars. You could ask KW and RH their thought process. Sure there was a lot of fluff, but is was a nice event leading to spring training.

Yeah, especially the scouting director/player dev seminars. Very fun for nerds like me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Insecure?  Judgmental?  This entire board that you have 170k posts on is 99% judgmental taeks on everything White Sox.

I made the post because I think people here don't really understand what Soxfest is (lines for autographs) and are really upset that it was cancelled because they think the organization is ducking the fans.  I strongly disagree that this was the reason. 

You are 50% right on the creepy autograph hounds but there are also cool things around it and it is in the the most miserable time of the year. 

I heard they are still planning some sort of event on a lesser scale and think the cost of the event is what drove to cancelling it.

You can have an event without Hahn and KW.  You get Guillen, some older guys, Getz, Thome, new manger, Katz, and go from there.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic