White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, Tony said:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/9/28/23377048/cubs-convention-return-2023

The Cubs announced on Sept 28 of this year...less than a month ago. 

Again, I'm calling bullshit. There is ZERO evidence to support anything other than they don't want to face a group of angry fans. They didn't even cite an actual reason for cancelling. 

Yeah I mean you can think or say whatever you want obviously. 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/9/28/23377048/cubs-convention-return-2023

The Cubs announced on Sept 28 of this year...less than a month ago. 

Again, I'm calling bullshit. There is ZERO evidence to support anything other than they don't want to face a group of angry fans. They didn't even cite an actual reason for cancelling. 

The day the "Sell the Team" banner showed up at a game was the day there was never going to be a 2023 Soxfest. They just waited a while to announce to try and not give that perception.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, especially the scouting director/player dev seminars. Very fun for nerds like me. 

I have not been to SoxFest in forever but I remember walking around one time and Kenny Williams was just there strolling among the fans and I went up to him and asked who he got back for Chad Bradford....he stopped for a minute and took the time to tell me that they got an exciting young catcher that he thought I'd like very much....which I did and I really liked when we flipped him for Freddy Garcia later.  Anyways, I know it is a small thing but I always appreciated the fact that he did stop and talk for a moment.

Another fond memory was talking to some of the old time Sox players who usually had lines that were very short....Moose Skowron was especially fun to talk to.

Some of the current players would often be on the floor walking around and mingling with the fans and signing balls etc if you wanted.  I had a joke with my nephews who loved to go to that if you came away from SoxFest without a Bob Howry autograph it was because you didn't want one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If it’s not Long or Espada, then hopefully we get a decision this week.  The World Series doesn’t start until Friday, seems like we could sneak in a Getz announcement beforehand 😣

Considering they don’t play until Friday, I think we will know who it is before the WS starts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I'd just like to point out that Soxfest sucks.  There is no reason to subject our players to this.  They don't need to fly kids from the DR into hell on earth (Chicago in January) to sign autographs for fat guys in fake Paul Konerko jerseys.  It isn't good for business and is super awkward.

Those great Q&A sessions where we get footage of a season ticket holder from Orland mispronouncing prospect names while yelling at Rick have like 50 people in attendance, 25 of which are lost. 

99.8% of sox fest is weird people buying old bobbleheads and waiting 45 minutes for their third Harold Baines autograph because the Chicago winters are boring.

I wish the Sox would have just said "Soxfest sucks, so do we, and we aren't doing it anymore".  

It's fun for kids, and something to do at a time of year when there aren't many other options.  My kids mark the depth of winter by New Year's Day, Sox Fest, Auto Show.  Get through those and you're home free

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The day the "Sell the Team" banner showed up at a game was the day there was never going to be a 2023 Soxfest. They just waited a while to announce to try and not give that perception.

Sox core is not into this competition and pr bullshirt. Not their thing. Just drift away.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Considering they don’t play until Friday, I think we will know who it is before the WS starts.

Got me wondering why they cant start before given the fact it was a short series that just ended? You think the sooner the better esp w the weather in Philly can get pretty nippy in Nov

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If it’s not Long or Espada, then hopefully we get a decision this week.  The World Series doesn’t start until Friday, seems like we could sneak in a Getz announcement beforehand 😣

This would make no baseball sense other than it would be so White Sox.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

On the brightside, even if the Sox do something dumb like Getz, or something most of the fanbase wouldn't love like Washington, at least its going to be a VAST improvement over Tony.

I said so many times over the past 2 years that I would literally take nearly anyone over Tony, and I meant that.  The bar to clear is below the ground.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

On the brightside, even if the Sox do something dumb like Getz, or something most of the fanbase wouldn't love like Washington, at least its going to be a VAST improvement over Tony.

I said so many times over the past 2 years that I would literally take nearly anyone over Tony, and I meant that.  The bar to clear is below the ground.  

To be fair, many thought Tony couldn't be worse than Renteria (in terms of managing alineup and staff)... Oh how wrong we were.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

To be fair, many thought Tony couldn't be worse than Renteria (in terms of managing alineup and staff)... Oh how wrong we were.

Idk if it was many, but maybe some. I think most knew it was going to be a significant downgrade all around.

It’s so sad how low the bar is.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I mean you can think or say whatever you want obviously. 

While obviously correct, I still don't understand your stance of "It was probably because they couldn't find space?" Where did that conclusion arrive from? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Assuming the Kevin Long talk would be for the manager position and not a lateral move which nobody in their right mind would leave Philadelphia for the White Sox.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Got me wondering why they cant start before given the fact it was a short series that just ended? You think the sooner the better esp w the weather in Philly can get pretty nippy in Nov

TV dictates, also need date certainty to accommodate the hundreds of hotels required for players, media, sponsors, etc.

This new schedule avoids NFL Sundays vs the Thursday & Monday off day format.

Since the 87 win Phillies prove how meaningless the 162 game exhibition game schedule has become, they really should target 140-154 games, expand the division series also to seven games and wrap things up in October.

Couldn’t avoid this year due to the late start caused by yet another owner lockout. 

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic