White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

Here is a quote from Kevin Long that supports a more modern approach to hitting:

Leadoff hitters used to be the speed guys. Really, at the end of the day, you want your best hitters up as many times as you can get them up. Schwarber’s an on-base machine. Obviously, he’s got some power. But he fits the mold, if you’re going to get on base at that type of clip and also have the ability to change the score immediately. And a lot of times I saw him, he’s going to get a first-pitch fastball. It might be the best pitch he sees all game. He’s really good at gauging that speed. Making a good decision and doing some damage on the first pitch.

Here is a quote from Frank Menechino:

f*** the homerun

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Do you really think Aaron Boone would sign up to be the manager of the White Sox? This organization? I’d be willing to bet he’d take a TV job before signing up to be a part of this clown show. 

What? I wasn't suggesting Boone as a candidate for the Sox job at all lol

I was asking which teams have managerial vacancies, one possibly being the Yankees if they move on from Boone. As stated in original comment lol

Edited by Bob Sacamano

One last quote from Long in the Athletic interview:

Hitting instruction has changed quite a bit in the last five years. Even in the last year or two. How do you stay relevant? How do you stay on top of modern instruction? And how have you changed?

I haven’t really changed much as far as my philosophy. It’s really stayed pretty constant. And why? I feel like it’s worked. Honestly. With all the stuff that’s coming on, I have maybe remained the most constant out of anybody. I’ve always taught the swing from the ground up. I’ve always talked about the lower half. And I’ve always minimized movements. My absolutes have kind of been my absolutes from day one.

I love the data. I love the stuff that’s out there. I love the availability of it. I love deep dives into the analytics. But I understand that it can be overwhelming. Let me dissect it.

• Like 2

I get the manager won’t be the hitting coach, but Long would certainly help us get back to a more power / OBP oriented approach.  And never having to see someone like Leury bat lead-off again would be a dream come true.

Also, if Long is the guy, I’d be good with Katz, Hasler, & Cairo returning.  I think the former two have generally done a good job on the pitching side and Miguel might be worthwhile to keep around in something capacity (doesn’t have to be bench coach).  I see zero reason to keep any of the rest of them around.

• Like 1

Right now I think my two personal favorites are Washington and Long.  Why?  They both have histories of being really good at things we have been really bad at in recent years.  Our baseball IQ is among the worst in baseball.  Washington is a guy who is known for his teams playing smart, clean, and top notch defensive baseball.  That alone could add a lot of wins to this team.  I know Washington is dog s%*# as a person, but with the White Sox, that sure doesn't disqualify you.

Long has been a top notch hitting coach for a long time, and this is a team who has had zero approach for a while now.  Again, just getting guys back to their historic norms, and not even to their ceilings and potential adds a lot of wins to this roster.

That isn't to say I am against a guy like Espada, but I don't know his track record the way the other two stand out.

• Like 2

I think I prefer Long because of the "supply side" theory.

It's okay if your defense averages giving up two touchdowns every game as long as your offense averages three touchdowns and a field goal every game.

Lots of runs. Longer games. More beer for all of us Sox fans enjoying  the dubs.

Long live Long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think he is Astros manager if they win WS. 

I think so too, I think that is why there's been no announcement even tho he was also a strong candidate for the Miami and Sox jobs. 

He may have been the White Sox choice, and he may have accepted on the condition that if Dusty retires he's taking the Astro's job.  That could be one reason why the Sox are still supposedly interviewing and moving on.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Leadoff hitters used to be the speed guys. Really, at the end of the day, you want your best hitters up as many times as you can get them up. Schwarber’s an on-base machine. Obviously, he’s got some power. But he fits the mold, if you’re going to get on base at that type of clip and also have the ability to change the score immediately. And a lot of times I saw him, he’s going to get a first-pitch fastball. It might be the best pitch he sees all game. He’s really good at gauging that speed. Making a good decision and doing some damage on the first pitch.

If he was honest in his interview with the Sox, he said that he wouldn't bat TA leadoff and that may have disqualified him.

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If he was honest in his interview with the Sox, he said that he wouldn't bat TA leadoff and that may have disqualified him.

Who else on the current White Sox would hit 1st? 2022 wasn't all that great for Anderson, and the only 2 regulars who had a higher OBP than him were Abreu (Gone) and Eloy. Is Eloy your leadoff hitter next year? 

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Long makes a lot of sense, doesn’t have the stick of Astros cheating, and isn’t direct in line to take over his current dugout.  Question remains whether JR let’s Hahn make the choice or if he or KW f*** it up again.  

I have never heard anything nor has anyone ever told me anything that indicated Kenny was part of the decision to hire TLR. From what I've heard he was in Hahn's corner on this one. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Who else on the current White Sox would hit 1st? 2022 wasn't all that great for Anderson, and the only 2 regulars who had a higher OBP than him were Abreu (Gone) and Eloy. Is Eloy your leadoff hitter next year? 

Sounds like we have no choice but to sign Nimmo.

• Love 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic