White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Would never have thought Kevin Long looked like this

Kevin Long joins Phillies as hitting coach

That.....looks like Matt Nagy.

I'm so far out of the baseball loop it isn't even funny. I apologize for this useless post. Lol.

I will say I do like Ron Washington and would get behind him purely from a fundamental aspect which has seemed to be something the Sox have lacked.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Who else on the current White Sox would hit 1st? 2022 wasn't all that great for Anderson, and the only 2 regulars who had a higher OBP than him were Abreu (Gone) and Eloy. Is Eloy your leadoff hitter next year? 

If we get the 2021 Moncada back he should be the leadoff hitter.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If he was honest in his interview with the Sox, he said that he wouldn't bat TA leadoff and that may have disqualified him.

Because the Sox had a ton of leadoff hitter choices?  TA might not be ideal, but there is sure no one better currently on this team.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Assuming we go cheap and sign Conforto (sorry Nimmo fans), this would be my lineup against RHP:

1. Moncada, 3B#
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Vaughn, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Conforto, RF*
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Colas, LF*
  9. Sosa, 2B

Obviously dependent on Moncada getting his OBP back to .360+ like @CentralChamps21 suggested

I wouldn’t open the year with Moncada at the top. He’s gotta earn it.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Assuming we go cheap and sign Conforto (sorry Nimmo fans), this would be my lineup against RHP:

1. Moncada, 3B#
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Vaughn, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Conforto, RF*
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Colas, LF*
  9. Sosa, 2B

Obviously dependent on Moncada getting his OBP back to .360+ like @CentralChamps21 suggested

I'm excited about Sosa, but would worry big time about him holding up in an every day role against RHP.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada, 3B#
  2. Anderson, SS
  3. Vaughn, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Conforto, RF*
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Grandal, C#
  8. Colas, LF*
  9. Sosa, 2B

Shouldn’t Colas play right and Conforto play left?

18 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm excited about Sosa, but would worry big time about him holding up in an every day role against RHP.

I don’t think you can make him a platoon player right off the bat though.  I can’t find his AAA splits, but he was just as good against RHP in AA as he was LHP if not actually a little bit better.  It might take some time, but I think the deserves a shot after his stellar 2022 season.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think you can make him a platoon player right off the bat though.  I can’t find his AAA splits, but he was just as good against RHP in AA as he was LHP if not actually a little bit better.  It might take some time, but I think the deserves a shot after his stellar 2022 season.

.895 OPS against lefties, .947 against righties.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Promising numbers against RHP at both levels then

I would hesitate to put too much emphasis on the reversed splits. His splits were better against lefties in both ‘19 and ‘21, and we saw how much trouble we got into with Pollocks reverse splits last year. I also noted before ‘22 that Semiens splits were reversed in 2021 and that also flipped back on 2022.

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would hesitate to put too much emphasis on the reversed splits. His splits were better against lefties in both ‘19 and ‘21, and we saw how much trouble we got into with Pollocks reverse splits last year. I also noted before ‘22 that Semiens splits were reversed in 2021 and that also flipped back on 2022.

I just meant he’s not a guy whose overall numbers are greatly inflated by crushing LHP.  

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Better teams than the Sox (I'm thinking specifically of the Dodgers and Rays) ease better prospects than Lenyn Sosa into the bigs in a platoon or bench role. I'd be fine with him opening next season in a platoon role with a guy like Kolten Wong. That doesn't mean not to ever play him against righies, guys will get rest days, TA misses like a month every year on the IL due to hamstring issues, etc so he'll get opportunities. So even though he hit righties well in the minors, I don't think starting next season with him in an every day role against all righties would be good for the team or him short or long term.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Better teams than the Sox (I'm thinking specifically of the Dodgers and Rays) ease better prospects than Lenyn Sosa into the bigs in a platoon or bench role. I'd be fine with him opening next season in a platoon role with a guy like Kolten Wong. That doesn't mean not to ever play him against righies, guys will get rest days, TA misses like a month every year on the IL due to hamstring issues, etc so he'll get opportunities. So even though he hit righties well in the minors, I don't think starting next season with him in an every day role against all righties would be good for the team or him short or long term.

I’m not against gradually building him up, but just think money will be tight and Hahn may pass on further IF additions.  Assuming we add an OF in free agency and call up Colas early on to start in the other corner, we’ll have Zavala, Pollock, & Leury as bench locks and with Mendick & Romy fighting for that last spot.  I’d love to DFA Leury and sign a legit LH hitting infielder if Jerry were willing to stomach the cost.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If it was Ozzie they probably would have announce it by now or atleast by Friday I would have to imagine. 

Well if it is Ozzie, maybe they want to give the impression that some semblance of due diligence was done this time?

41 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If it was Ozzie they probably would have announce it by now or atleast by Friday I would have to imagine. 

What a dumpster fire it will be if it ends up being him. I love Ozzie for what he did in 05, and I like listening to him on the postage show but I don't think he would fair too well in today's analytical game. It's pretty obvious 29 other teams feel the same way or he'd been given interviews with the Marlins, Rangers, Royals, etc.

• Like 2

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic