White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

I really cannot fathom the logic behind bringing Ozzie back, other than the fact that he won a series almost 2 decades ago. 

FFS, we literally just saw a retread crash and burn because the dude was out of touch after not managing for a decade and their solution is to bring in ANOTHER retread that hasn't managed in a decade? 

We're going with that over a guy who's been at the forefront of arguably the most consistent franchise of the last 4 years or a guy who's been part of 2 World Series titles and 4 pennant winners (Yanks in '09, Mets in '15, Nats in '19, Phils in '22)? 

Seriously, I'd argue it makes even less sense than TLR did. At least TLR was a consistently strong manager in St Louis and went out on top the last time he managed. Ozzie was out of touch back in 2010, much less now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, flavum said:

There are too many real candidates for it to be Getz, Ozzie, Willie, Thome. Hire one of them, Hahn (Jerry). 

There were too many real candidates for it to be TLR last time, but that is still who we got, and it is the same clowns doing the hiring again so I wouldn't write off anyone no matter how unlikely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

There were too many real candidates for it to be TLR last time, but that is still who we got, and it is the same clowns doing the hiring again so I wouldn't write off anyone no matter how unlikely.

Technically there were no other candidates, they conducted no legitimate interviews last time.

• TLR 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I have never heard anything nor has anyone ever told me anything that indicated Kenny was part of the decision to hire TLR. From what I've heard he was in Hahn's corner on this one. 

Kenny was 100% not on the TLR train. RH, KW, and JR each had their preferred candidate. Hinch was ultimately the choice decided between RH and KW and I also believe Hinch thought it was basically done as well... JR then made the decision to hire TLR, and he made that decision himself. That is without question... 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

48 minutes ago, Dan of Steel said:

I really cannot fathom the logic behind bringing Ozzie back, other than the fact that he won a series almost 2 decades ago. 

FFS, we literally just saw a retread crash and burn because the dude was out of touch after not managing for a decade and their solution is to bring in ANOTHER retread that hasn't managed in a decade? 

We're going with that over a guy who's been at the forefront of arguably the most consistent franchise of the last 4 years or a guy who's been part of 2 World Series titles and 4 pennant winners (Yanks in '09, Mets in '15, Nats in '19, Phils in '22)? 

Seriously, I'd argue it makes even less sense than TLR did. At least TLR was a consistently strong manager in St Louis and went out on top the last time he managed. Ozzie was out of touch back in 2010, much less now. 

I'm pretty certain Ozzie will not be the next manager of the White Sox.

Kevin Long seems to be the choice and I'm thrilled about that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Assuming we go cheap and sign Conforto

Your pessimistic/cheap outlook is way more optimistic than mine. I don't even like Conforto much, mainly since he's coming off shoulder surgery, but I'm fully expecting a nightmare offseason of salary cuts (due to lack of playoff revenue), utility/relief signings, salary dump trades (such as getting out of Joe Kelly's contract by attaching Jose Rodriguez to him), selling low on Moncada/Giolito only for them to predictably return to form, etc. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Pete Rose is only 81

Player manager, taking over for Abreu at 1B.

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Technically there were no other candidates, they conducted no legitimate interviews last time.

Cito Gaston vs. Ozzie Guillen was the last legitimate interview process for the White Sox.

Think the Marlins got a solid candidate to lead their young rising team. Kudos to Kim Ng!

https://www.mlb.com/news/skip-schumaker-named-marlins-manager

“As we continue to grow as an organization, we felt it was important to find an individual who had been a part of a winning culture,” said Marlins general manager Kim Ng.  “Having been a member of two championship teams, along with his reputation for tenacity and getting every ounce out of his ability, Skip will be a tremendous example to our players.  His leadership style, teaching skills and attention to detail made him the clear choice as the club’s new manager.”

Joe Espada has been my choice since 2020. Happy with a few other mentions. Don't want Washington, who was outmanaged by Tony 10 years ago, or anyone else in their 70s.

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Your pessimistic/cheap outlook is way more optimistic than mine. I don't even like Conforto much, mainly since he's coming off shoulder surgery, but I'm fully expecting a nightmare offseason of salary cuts (due to lack of playoff revenue), utility/relief signings, salary dump trades (such as getting out of Joe Kelly's contract by attaching Jose Rodriguez to him), selling low on Moncada/Giolito only for them to predictably return to form, etc. 

jerry better get used to a lack of playoff revenues if that is his plan. I don’t see them throwing in the towel, personally. 

6 hours ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Kenny was 100% not on the TLR train. RH, KW, and JR each had their preferred candidate. Hinch was ultimately the choice decided between RH and KW and I also believe Hinch thought it was basically done as well... JR then made the decision to hire TLR, and he made that decision himself. That is without question... 

I wish I had that kind of information, something only someone in the meetings would know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Definitely could happen.  I guess I’m hoping Reinsdorf ultimately keeps the payroll mostly flat worst-case scenario given his advanced age.  That may be very optimistic of me though.  

FWIW, Merkin’s initial “5 questions for the off-season” article did not hint at a nightmare outcome and he is usually the first one to plant those seeds.

So sick of the Ozzie, Thome, Getz, Willie Harris talk. I hate that this organization is so incestuous. It's way past time to bring someone in that has no previous ties to this org and get some fresh ideas. What they've been doing obviously hasn't been working so hiring someone that is just going to do what he's told and show us more of the same shouldn't be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So sick of the Ozzie, Thome, Getz, Willie Harris talk. I hate that this organization is so incestuous. It's way past time to bring someone in that has no previous ties to this org and get some fresh ideas. What they've been doing obviously hasn't been working so hiring someone that is just going to do what he's told and show us more of the same shouldn't be acceptable.

It's all a guessing game with everyone trying to claim the title of "See I told you so" by throwing names out there.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Its really just fan driven narrative.  Who really cares?  If the Sox hire one of those guys, by all means light your pitchforks.  Until then, what's the point?  The Sox are clearly interviewing a lot of folks.  There really isn't anything to be upset about at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the plan is to cut payroll, then you might as well trade Cease & Anderson for hauls.

Sox pretty much have to ride out 2023.  They have a lot coming off the books after this season, and if 2023 is a flop, I could see some major changes and sell-type moves leading into 2024.  But I think you have to at least try to one more time with this core with some minor tweaks, ideally a legit LH OF and solid SP.  I think payroll lands between $190-200M again.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic