White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

While I certainly don't want the Sox to hire Ozzie, nor do I think he's even a legit candidiate, it'd at least be extremely entertaining.

Like slowing down to look at a car wreck type entertaining.  Would be quite a fitting way to end what could potentially be JR's last managerial hire.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I certainly don't want the Sox to hire Ozzie, nor do I think he's even a legit candidiate, it'd at least be extremely entertaining.

Like slowing down to look at a car wreck type entertaining.  Would be quite a fitting way to end what could potentially be JR's last managerial hire.   

Nah man, this is a high speed train wreck.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Your pessimistic/cheap outlook is way more optimistic than mine. I don't even like Conforto much, mainly since he's coming off shoulder surgery, but I'm fully expecting a nightmare offseason of salary cuts (due to lack of playoff revenue), utility/relief signings, salary dump trades (such as getting out of Joe Kelly's contract by attaching Jose Rodriguez to him), selling low on Moncada/Giolito only for them to predictably return to form, etc. 

If they have to cut salary, they should just tear it down to the studs again. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There will be resounding NO's across the board on this but for this purpose bring in Pierzynski. It would be a car wreck and a final implosion, and it would be glorious.

5 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

There will be resounding NO's across the board on this but for this purpose bring in Pierzynski. It would be a car wreck and a final implosion, and it would be glorious.

For now I get excited when I see AJ on tv. Please don’t take that away by dumping him in with Ventura.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

jerry better get used to a lack of playoff revenues if that is his plan. I don’t see them throwing in the towel, personally. 

I think they could probably get away with framing it as making the team better by trading away the 2022 underperformers, but it's probably just me overcorrecting my expectations after the disaster that was last offseason

I still am a little annoyed treating Willie Harris in the same vein as "well they are already here" guys like Getz/Thome/Ozzie to an extent.

He has a pretty classic trajectory right now. He's done it in multiple orgs, Starting in sox but then going to Giants, Reds and then Cubs as the 3rd base coach.

Some of those aren't winning orgs but ...it's the bench coaches. By all accounts he still brings a lot of energy and is well-liked.

You could do a lot worse.

I'll say again, you can't retrofit a smarter organization on top of the sox just by hiring someone from the astros. Of the duties a manager is responsible for, Harris seems like a competent choice.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I still am a little annoyed treating Willie Harris in the same vein as "well they are already here" guys like Getz/Thome/Ozzie to an extent.

He has a pretty classic trajectory right now. He's done it in multiple orgs, Starting in sox but then going to Giants, Reds and then Cubs as the 3rd base coach.

Some of those aren't winning orgs but ...it's the bench coaches. By all accounts he still brings a lot of energy and is well-liked.

I'll say again, you can't retrofit a smarter organization on top of the sox just by hiring someone from the astros. Of the duties a manager is responsible for, Harris seems like a competent choice.

I agree, I think Harris is a legit candidate. He's just getting flack for being a former player. He has at least managed in the Sox minors and has been coaching at the MLB level.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Case A: Detroit Tigers

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Willie didn't score the most iconic run in franchise history, no one would look at him as a possible nepotism hire.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What is Paul Konerko doing these days?

I know you’re joking around here, but just wanted to mention that there was a good interview with him on Benetti and Len’s Sox Degrees podcast from earlier this year I think. I came away from it thinking he’d make a pretty good hitting coach.

I love paul konerko but like, the way he approached 2014 (from stories I've heard) wasn't exactly Yadi/Pujols-like exit. 

I say this as someone who was creeped out by the church of Yadi, but I think you'd be crazy not to see if he'd want to jump into managing soon.

28 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I know you’re joking around here, but just wanted to mention that there was a good interview with him on Benetti and Len’s Sox Degrees podcast from earlier this year I think. I came away from it thinking he’d make a pretty good hitting coach.

I don't know what kind of a teacher he is, but he is a guy who definitely knew how to hit.  That's a start.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic