White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

Has anyone heard why the White Sox don’t want Joe Espada? Bernstein and Dave Kaplan have stated that he isn’t up for consideration. What is the reason?

There was a very early report out there that Espada wasn't impressed with the Sox, but the Sox were impressed with him.  No idea how true this was, or if this is even a factor, but it is something that stuck in my mind.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

Has anyone heard why the White Sox don’t want Joe Espada? Bernstein and Dave Kaplan have stated that he isn’t up for consideration. What is the reason?

I'm guessing that there are concerns with him being able to get the most out of these players in regards to accountability. And Jerry hates Astros. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

I still am a little annoyed treating Willie Harris in the same vein as "well they are already here" guys like Getz/Thome/Ozzie to an extent.

He has a pretty classic trajectory right now. He's done it in multiple orgs, Starting in sox but then going to Giants, Reds and then Cubs as the 3rd base coach.

Some of those aren't winning orgs but ...it's the bench coaches. By all accounts he still brings a lot of energy and is well-liked.

You could do a lot worse.

I'll say again, you can't retrofit a smarter organization on top of the sox just by hiring someone from the astros. Of the duties a manager is responsible for, Harris seems like a competent choice.

Wasn't there a set of denials a week ago saying "Harris has not been interviewed by the Sox" or something like that?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

The day the "Sell the Team" banner showed up at a game was the day there was never going to be a 2023 Soxfest. They just waited a while to announce to try and not give that perception.

Maybe the FO needs to get thicker skin and that banner should show up at the game in the upper deck all of the time!

21 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Everyone else we want basically still in play. Literally all of them.

Yep, come on down Kevin Long or Joe Espada!

17 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Sure, let’s listen to a Twitter user as a source on Espada. Let’s get more people confirming this. I’ll bet him a six pack of beer he knows something but it’s not the whole story.

I feel like Espada is the most interviewed least hired manager in the biz. Not that really means anything at the end of the day, just conjecture, but would sure love to be a fly on the wall. What is he doing in all these interviews never to be chosen?

I take all the Portillo's and beat writers insight with a big grain of salt anyways.

As for Oz if he truly said what he said he was going to say and still is in the running? I think there's at least 50/50 chance he's back. I mean, as someone already said JR said he burnt a bridge on the way out, but somehow has made his way back into the day to day on TV. And then on TV he said something along the lines of "if they want to talk to me, I will, but I am going to be honest and theyll kick me out of the room"  If he said whatever was so provocative that he thought he had no chance ... and still does? It might just happen that he's the next manager. 

To me, all of these candidates are good by me. I'd love Ron Washington. I'd love Ozzie. I'd be great with Espada. dont know anything about Long ... but fine there too - maybe can teach these guys to swing for hte fences again. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm guessing that there are concerns with him being able to get the most out of these players in regards to accountability. And Jerry hates Astros. 

he won't be allowed to pick his staff in full, that's my guess

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Bernstein is working on that but doesn’t know that yet. Carlos Beltran was mentioned by someone they interviewed in the last segment but I missed who that was.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There was a very early report out there that Espada wasn't impressed with the Sox, but the Sox were impressed with him.  No idea how true this was, or if this is even a factor, but it is something that stuck in my mind.

No shock there… makes me want Espada even more. Our org is a s%*# show.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Guys, the Konerko stuff isn't real.

Can't be real. Konerko has showed no interest in being connected with MLB since he retired. Loved the guy as a player. Don't want him near the team as a manager. Besides, neither he or his fans need his legacy stained like Ventura's.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic