White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Espada is clearly the best candidate, at least according to people who have never spoken to him and just know he sits next to Dusty watching the Astros win. Yet, not just the White Sox, but others are passing on him too. 

I thought it was interesting that the Marlins didn't hire him after hearing he was a finalist.  Maybe there is something we don't know.

I'm beginning to believe (hope) that it's going to be Kevin Long.  I would think that if the Sox were going to hire Getz, Thome, Ozzie, or even Washington, they would have by now.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they bumble this process again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Is that right? Which part exactly? I didn't think that was ground breaking, new information shared...

Except no one who actually was part of the process has commented publically. It very well may be accurate. But labeling it fact with so much certainly is more than I would do. The only comment was all from JR. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Espada is clearly the best candidate, at least according to people who have never spoken to him and just know he sits next to Dusty watching the Astros win. Yet, not just the White Sox, but others are passing on him too. 

Not exactly sure if they're all passing on him or he's eliminating himself.  Could be he knows Dusty is retiring with or without a World Series and has already been promised the Astro's job.  Either way, I know little about him to say he's the best candidate out there.  If he was the best (not implying you said he was, I get the sarcasm) he would have been hired last season.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Maybe the Sox have already hired Espada? Just waiting for the World Series to end to

announce it. Might explain why Miami didn't hire him.

Or the Sox have already hired Kevin Long. Just waiting for the World Series to end to announce it..............................

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sadly I think this is not necessarily a reflection of the fans being overzealous as much as not trusting the F.O. at all and hoping they go based off of resume/best org.

The best-run franchises of late have been hiring former players/internal managers. I don't think any Sox fan trusts the sox to know the good interpersonal skills people for that.

So instead, you'd point to: Melvin (no brainer), Kevin Cash (bullpen coach for Francona), Cora (WS bench coach though obviously a down year).

I think even in recent history, the first Ozzie hire was very popular. Sox fans from my memory were obsessed with that Marlins team (not surprising, it slayed the Yankees and Cubs) and he was their 3b coach and popular former player.

Manuel didn't work out, but I don't think anyone has a problem with trying out a 3b coach from the mid 90s expos and then Leyland's WS Marlins.

So I guess when our off-resume signings fail, I think fans want to go back to the IBM of coaching candidates. You would think Hahn/JR/KW would also feel that way, but JR at this point prioritizes conformity and congeniality to winning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sadly I think this is not necessarily a reflection of the fans being overzealous as much as not trusting the F.O. at all and hoping they go based off of resume/best org.

The best-run franchises of late have been hiring former players/internal managers. I don't think any Sox fan trusts the sox to know the good interpersonal skills people for that.

So instead, you'd point to: Melvin (no brainer), Kevin Cash (bullpen coach for Francona), Cora (WS bench coach though obviously a down year).

I think even in recent history, the first Ozzie hire was very popular. Sox fans from my memory were obsessed with that Marlins team (not surprising, it slayed the Yankees and Cubs) and he was their 3b coach and popular former player.

Manuel didn't work out, but I don't think anyone has a problem with trying out a 3b coach from the mid 90s expos and then Leyland's WS Marlins.

So I guess when our off-resume signings fail, I think fans want to go back to the IBM of coaching candidates. You would think Hahn/JR/KW would also feel that way, but JR at this point prioritizes conformity and congeniality to winning.

I think most of the candidates are pretty similar. Unless they do something crazy like when they brought Tony back, fixing the roster will help more than whoever they hire.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think most of the candidates are pretty similar. Unless they do something crazy like when they brought Tony back, fixing the roster will help more than whoever they hire.

I agree, but I also think Thome would be a really good manager. I just think people keep hoping sox will feel a wakeup call to act differently and hope the manager search will be that.

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I would think that if the Sox were going to hire Getz, Thome, Ozzie, or even Washington, they would have by now.

If the three-headed monster had a functional dynamic and sound process, I would agree. But waiting a month+ just to hire Ozzie Guillen when they could have done so weeks ago, or even during the last season, is exactly something this FO would do

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic