White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's why I thought it was going to be Getz.  They ask one of the guys on the interview team to interview you gotta figure it's because they couldn't find anyone they agreed on. I don't think that anymore. 

I just keep thinking of Dick Cheney's search for W's VP running mate. So, I'll believe it when I see it. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I can’t get over the idea that they don’t want outsiders, as the outsiders will see how incredibly messed up things are inside the organization 

Why would they want an outsider with a baseball mind to criticize them? They have enough issues handling media questions in regards to their s%*# show let alone someone else from within the game. 

11 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Or maybe he did and Ozzie's who they come up with.  The evidence that Hahn is some outside-of-the box, modern analytics thinker is scant at best.

No but it is well known Hahn wanted to hire someone with no ties to the organization...
JR overruled him in 2020 and looks to do it again.

Both can be true

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Ozzie is great...as the postgame color. Why would he want to give up that cushy gig? And why would anyone in this org think he won't blow up in a politically incorrect rant that get's him cancelled within the first 2 seasons? 

A pay raise of a couple millions dollars a year might be a big reason why.  

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If Shildt is hired JR is making the decision based on TLR influencing him.  TLR is the gift that keeps on giving. 

I haven't heard Schildt's name in a couple weeks. Is this comment based on something? 

On 10/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He was interviewed on Monday Oct. 24th.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:34 AM, Balta1701 said:

Source?

On 10/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Real easy . Listen to the Garfien podcast with Jenks and Toby Hall. Somewhere a little after 13 min  mark. Garfien said Ozzie interviewed with Hahn, Getz and Haber on Monday.

Oh I was actually at the forefront of the new talk about Guillen just because I listened to a podcast earlier than most people. After that all the new tweets and Kaplan's video and the rest started passing the baton later yesterday.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
was going to add something but didnt

2 hours ago, RibbieRubarb said:

No but it is well known Hahn wanted to hire someone with no ties to the organization...
JR overruled him in 2020 and looks to do it again.

Both can be true

I've seen nothing tangible to back that up.  I look for tangible evidence over the last 10 years that Hahn wants a modern baseball front office; surely he could have built a nifty analytics department, surrounded himself with some outside baseball minds, and the like.  He hasn't.  The only  and the only bit that I can see, and it's not a lot, is hiring Katz.  But heck, he hasn't even fired Frank M. yet.

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

The score was mentioning him today 

i heard that more as them playing out a scenario where a coach they don't want was hired, but maybe i missed something else during the show.

i have no interest in shildt as a managerial candidate, but i'd prefer him to ozzie/getz/thome/konerko/aj or any other internal candidates. at least he comes from an org with a way better track record of success than ours and spent last year with a playoff team.

Edited by thedoctor
  • Thanks 1

The only twitter account I look at for White Sox rumors (look to James Fegan for actual news) is Bob Nightengale, and he hasn't tweeted anything Sox related for nearly a month:

I don't expect anything until early to mid November at this point. I don't know much about Kevin Long, though would take  him or almost anyone over Ozzie, Shildt or Washington among the rumored candidates in the thread. Still hoping Joe Espada is viable and eventually hired.

As much as I love Ozzie, this hire should not be that difficult.

Guess what folks? You actually hire somebody (they have to be out there) like Rob Thomson (I realize he's not available).

Resume: A guy who has worked next to winners who has had some taste of winning organization. Somebody in his 50s or early 60s like Thomson who knows baseball. I realize this would mean you look at guys also like Matheny who classifies in my job description and I realize he's despised.

But "somebody" with the resume of Thomson. A totally knowledgable man who in being in MLB all his life probably likes some aspects of Sabes but is not a staunch inflexible statnik. Get a guy who has been in baseball a long time, knows the game in and out, is not a jerk, has helped some individual players who can speak on his behalf.

If you are not gonna do something WILD like Oz or Thome or AJP, then find me a Rob Thomson clone. Give me a guy who has the resume in MLB but has never been given the chance.

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

The fact they haven’t announced it yet makes me think it’s for sure Long

This is what I keep telling myself.  If they were going to do something monumentally stupid like hire Ozzie, they could have just gone and done it.  The longer it goes the more it seems like not someone on the inside.,

• Like 1

I'm clinging to it being Long, and the reason it hasn't been announced yet is because the Phillies are in the Wold Series.. but the steady drip of rumors pointing towards it being Ozzie feels eerily similar to how things went down with Tony.

If Reinsdorf is set on it being Ozzie, then it's going to happen.

Caught the Long interview. Seems like a good communicator and obviously he has a great reputation. Russo tried to end the interview with a “you’re going to get a manager job”. Long laughed it off with a hand wave and they ended it. 

Until it’s not him, it’s him. Just have to wait until the Series is over. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How many guys have gone from hitting coach to manager? I can't think of any. Bench coach, pitching coach, 1st base coach, 3rd base coach, minor league manager, broadcaster, unemployed guy....yes, but never a hitting coach.

It is the equivalent of say a QB coach becoming a head coach in the NFL. Usually the bench coach (coordinator) is next in line for a job. Not to say he won't make a great coach. Its  just an unknown. Hitting coaches don't have to deal with managing bullpens or defensive positioning 

• Thanks 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic