White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

The fact they haven’t announced it yet makes me think it’s for sure Long

For the same reason you state here...I think it's Long or Espada.  Both involved in the WS and shouldn't be distracted.  The gentlemanly thing to do is wait for the series to be completed.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Not exactly an apt comparison as there was a short playoff round before Renteria was fired, but the LaRussa hiring was announced October 30th.

Worth mentioning that October 30 was *after* the World Series wrapped up in 2020.  So the team does have a recent history of waiting until after the Series to announce non-WS-involved managers as well.  Of course with TLR they had the whole unfolding DUI drama that might have played a part in delaying the announcement!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Worth mentioning that October 30 was *after* the World Series wrapped up in 2020.  So the team does have a recent history of waiting until after the Series to announce non-WS-involved managers as well.  Of course with TLR they had the whole unfolding DUI drama that might have played a part in delaying the announcement!

If anything, they might have rushed the announcement earlier so that they could do their introductory press conference before news of the arrest leaked, to avoid having to answer questions about it publicly. It came out few days later. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our 2nd round pick in the 2006 draft who ended up being a really bad pitcher, but luckily I messed up my Long’s and you’ve missed nothing 😉

Does he have a shot to be the pitching coach under Kevin?  

Edited by wegner
Teachers are present, sorry. You actually have my respect.

33 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Ozzie will be just as bad as Tony was, if not worse. What a disaster we're even at a point where he's a serious candidate for the job.

I would be outraged if Ozzie gets the job...but I am going to stay back from the ledge in case this stuff is just BS.  The Ozzie hire would need to take place over Kenny's dead body.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

As much as I love Ozzie, this hire should not be that difficult.

Guess what folks? You actually hire somebody (they have to be out there) like Rob Thomson (I realize he's not available).

Resume: A guy who has worked next to winners who has had some taste of winning organization. Somebody in his 50s or early 60s like Thomson who knows baseball. I realize this would mean you look at guys also like Matheny who classifies in my job description and I realize he's despised.

But "somebody" with the resume of Thomson. A totally knowledgable man who in being in MLB all his life probably likes some aspects of Sabes but is not a staunch inflexible statnik. Get a guy who has been in baseball a long time, knows the game in and out, is not a jerk, has helped some individual players who can speak on his behalf.

If you are not gonna do something WILD like Oz or Thome or AJP, then find me a Rob Thomson clone. Give me a guy who has the resume in MLB but has never been given the chance.

Sounds good.  But please let’s get a manager who is not on Medicare, has a pacemaker, has a drinking problem, has a DUI conviction, is not familiar with the current baseball rules, does not fall sleep in the dugout, doesn’t fall in love with one of the scrubs,  amongst other criteria.

• Like 1

It sucks to have completely lost any last shred of hope that this organization will make the correct move in anything they do. 

Not hyperbole when I say this is the lowest point for me as a White Sox fan in 30+ years.  

There have been far worse teams/eras in terms of talent, but I’ve never felt this kind of hopelessness bordering on indifference.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Ozzie will be just as bad as Tony was, if not worse. What a disaster we're even at a point where he's a serious candidate for the job.

It is theoretically impossible to be worse than LaRussa. It’s like crossing the speed of light, it’s a violation of physics.

Even if he did everything wrong, like LaRussa did, he wouldn’t have the absolute faith of the owner to overrule the front office.

But, all people’s hopes that the Sox will be smarter and better prepared…yeah probably not.

I'm gonna be in the minority here...yes them hiring a former manager is just totally white sox...but I don't think Ozzie will be as bad as people might think. If you listened to him on the pre/post this year...he waa clamoring for the same thing all of us were when it came to decision making. I think he actually fits this team well and will give them the fire and the kick in the ass that they need. And he can interact well with both the Latin and non-Latin guys. Just suck Abreu won't be back because I think he would absolutely flourish under Ozzie.

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

It is theoretically impossible to be worse than LaRussa. It’s like crossing the speed of light, it’s a violation of physics.

Even if he did everything wrong, like LaRussa did, he wouldn’t have the absolute faith of the owner to overrule the front office.

I really hope we don't have to find out. The fact that we're even in this position at all is so demoralizing.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the White Sox really do hire Ozzie again they really are as bad as Balta believes.   That's about the worst thing I can think of.  At least I will save money on baseball again for the near future. 

With Ozzie this team will be too interesting to stay away from (good or bad)

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic