White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

• Balta1701 changed the title to The White Sox next manager thread; Ozzie Guillen has had 2 interviews
2 hours ago, Sambuca said:

It sucks to have completely lost any last shred of hope that this organization will make the correct move in anything they do. 

Not hyperbole when I say this is the lowest point for me as a White Sox fan in 30+ years.  

There have been far worse teams/eras in terms of talent, but I’ve never felt this kind of hopelessness bordering on indifference.   

I've been trending this way for the last couple seasons, but yeah.......this feels like the Bill Wirtz Blackhawks. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d rather hire a cheater for manager than a quitter.  f*** Ozzie Guillen.

I'll just say that while I don't have him at the top of my list, maybe he isn't even on my list. But at the same time I have no reason to believe he won't do a good job with this team. Unless you count not being able to deal well with the dysfunctional YoYo's in the office. In which case there are't any other  options that have a good chance of succeeding. either.

• TLR 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I'll just say that while I don't have him at the top of my list, maybe he isn't even on my list. But at the same time I have no reason to believe he won't do a good job with this team. Unless you count not being able to deal well with the dysfunctional YoYo's in the office. In which case there are't any other  options that have a good chance of succeeding. either.

As long as you believe that the key to victory is bunting.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As long as you believe that the key to victory is bunting.

That's funny. But again, I don't see the need to be overly negative about this. The game has changed, and I'm reasonably  sure he's young enough, and attentivre enough to  understand what's going on with it. Like, do I believe he is going to have a modern lineup that bunts all the time based on what happened decades ago, I don't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Serious question: Is greg the only Sox fan on this board who activity wants Ozz to get the job? Put me in Oz's corner. Anybody with me?

I'd be fine with it. Ozzie's attention span is short. From 04 to 08 he was a great manager and then garbage after that. I think it'd be the same this time. A few years where he's invested then move on. Outside of this board most Sox fans I know would love ozzie coming back. I get the skepticism and I'd like to see a fresh start but he would be a nice kick in the ass for this group.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I'm gonna be in the minority here...yes them hiring a former manager is just totally white sox...but I don't think Ozzie will be as bad as people might think. If you listened to him on the pre/post this year...he waa clamoring for the same thing all of us were when it came to decision making. I think he actually fits this team well and will give them the fire and the kick in the ass that they need. And he can interact well with both the Latin and non-Latin guys. Just suck Abreu won't be back because I think he would absolutely flourish under Ozzie.

For the most part. He definately wasn't a raging apologist fior the bosses like Stoney. If anyone of us would have to talk for an hour of TV after every game you are bound to get on people's wrong side, and if Ozzie ever did, God forbid. For the most part, Ozzie was on the sober side of watching this team operate. I was a skeptic too, but I think as said above, outside this board there would be some happy enough people in town. And lets not forget that hiring brand new managers has a pretty poor success rate. I will be hopeful and be offering a clean slate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That's funny. But again, I don't see the need to be overly negative about this. The game has changed, and I'm reasonably  sure he's young enough, and attentivre enough to  understand what's going on with it. Like, do I believe he is going to have a modern lineup that bunts all the time based on what happened decades ago, I don't. 

Ozzie is fun on pre and post. But if you listen, he still has no use for analytics. You want the Sox offense fixed? They don’t hit enough homers? Bring in the guy who says almost daily exit velo is overrated, and is also the guy responsible for Kotsay over Thome in 2010. It would be a similar mistake to the LaRussa mistake. Slightly better, because the inmates won’t be as heavily involved running the asylum. Tony couldn’t roll the clock back to 1983, and Ozzie can’t roll it back to 2005. 

Just like with Tony, if they hired Ozzie, and I still can’t believe they will, there will be a fraction of the fan base delighted. Ozzie is the White Sox Ditka. But when they don’t score, hit fewer homers, get take signs every 3-0 count, have a 2 hole hitter lead the league in sac attempts, the delight will be slapped by reality. Ozzie knows a lot about baseball. I enjoy listening to his insight. He just prefers a game that has left the building. He hasn’t embraced the modernness. He doesn’t even have to embrace it fully. Analytics have made baseball a little more boring. Everyone has the same opinion.  Just keep in mind, the White Sox need to hit home runs to win. Is Ozzie the guy to accomplish that? I actually think when he managed the Sox, he ran a bullpen really well. That is important, and would be an improvement over Tony.  But they still need to score. 

Also, they hire Ozzie and everyone blames JR is fine as long as Kenny and Rick resign. If they don’t, they are complicit. They are on board with the hire.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie is fun on pre and post. But if you listen, he still has no use for analytics. You want the Sox offense fixed? They don’t hit enough homers? Bring in the guy who says almost daily exit velo is overrated, and is also the guy responsible for Kotsay over Thome in 2010. It would be a similar mistake to the LaRussa mistake. Slightly better, because the inmates won’t be as heavily involved running the asylum. Tony couldn’t roll the clock back to 1983, and Ozzie can’t roll it back to 2005. 

Just like with Tony, if they hired Ozzie, and I still can’t believe they will, there will be a fraction of the fan base delighted. Ozzie is the White Sox Ditka. But when they don’t score, hit fewer homers, get take signs every 3-0 count, have a 2 hole hitter lead the league in sac attempts, the delight will be slapped by reality. Ozzie knows a lot about baseball. I enjoy listening to his insight. He just prefers a game that has left the building. He hasn’t embraced the modernness. He doesn’t even have to embrace it fully. Analytics have made baseball a little more boring. Everyone has the same opinion.  Just keep in mind, the White Sox need to hit home runs to win. Is Ozzie the guy to accomplish that? I actually think when he managed the Sox, he ran a bullpen really well. That is important, and would be an improvement over Tony.  But they still need to score. 

Also, they hire Ozzie and everyone blames JR is fine as long as Kenny and Rick resign. If they don’t, they are complicit. They are on board with the hire.

I agree with just about all of this.

But the 'they should resign' part is silly. In the real world, even people that have great jobs and make a lot of money, still need to keep working and pay their bills to maintain their standard of living. They dont need to bring hardship to their family because they don't agree with their owner's decisions.

Me personally - I would prefer they don't bring Ozzie back. But I also think 90% of the impact of this off-season will be in the handling of trades and free agency, not the manager job. I might even say the next hitting coach is more important than the next manager as well.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Serious question: Is greg the only Sox fan on this board who activity wants Ozz to get the job? Put me in Oz's corner. Anybody with me?

He's not my favorite for it but I do think he has the highest ceiling. Also the lowest floor. Lot of variance there so I'd slightly prefer to not take the risk, but if anyone could get more out of Moncada and Robert, I do believe it's him and that would trump anything else if he does do that.

• Like 2

Those Ozzie Sunday lineups were horrible to watch. I am not sure you change an 80 year old owners mind on how he runs a team. This org is the way it is until JR passes. I don’t wish death upon anyone and won’t, for the meantime this is your Whitesox unfortunately. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I'm gonna be in the minority here...yes them hiring a former manager is just totally white sox...but I don't think Ozzie will be as bad as people might think. If you listened to him on the pre/post this year...he waa clamoring for the same thing all of us were when it came to decision making. I think he actually fits this team well and will give them the fire and the kick in the ass that they need. And he can interact well with both the Latin and non-Latin guys. Just suck Abreu won't be back because I think he would absolutely flourish under Ozzie.

I would be fine with Oz but I hope Bobby Jenks gets a second interview. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

And this is all aside from his incredible tendency to self immolate in front of the press.

I forgot another person I wish would go into managing: Granderson.

Hes back home in Chicago now doing. Incredible charity work. Probably better for everyone that way, but damn if he returns to the game I hope it can be on the Sox.

They gonna pick Ozzie..... More dumb s%*# from this org. We should make the bad owners country club. Jerry, Dan Snyder, the dude from the Suns, the wirtz, sheesh.... Sad thing most of them are in Chicago

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic