White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I forgot another person I wish would go into managing: Granderson.

Hes back home in Chicago now doing. Incredible charity work. Probably better for everyone that way, but damn if he returns to the game I hope it can be on the Sox.

Let him join in a coaching role.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would 100% count dinner with Jerry as the first. Dinner with Jerry is worse than an interview with anyone else in the front office.

I disagree here.  I’d be much more concerned if Hahn had interviewed Ozzie twice vs. meeting with Jerry and then getting a token interview with Rick.  The former means Rick is actually interested vs. doing a courtesy.

The Sox aren’t hiring Ozzie. So he had a sit down with Jerry and was granted an interview with Hanh, Getz and Haber. So what? Several other candidates have had actual 2nd interviews. Just relax; most Sox fans just revel in this negative narrative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I disagree here.  I’d be much more concerned if Hahn had interviewed Ozzie twice vs. meeting with Jerry and then getting a token interview with Rick.  The former means Rick is actually interested vs. doing a courtesy.

I’m sure dinner/drinks  with Jerry is exactly how the TLR conversations started. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox aren’t hiring Ozzie. So he had a sit down with Jerry and was granted an interview with Hanh, Getz and Haber. So what? Several other candidates have had actual 2nd interviews. Just relax; most Sox fans just revel in this negative narrative. 

👉👃👈

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’m sure dinner/drinks  with Jerry is exactly how the TLR conversations started. 

The difference being that Jerry allowed Hawk to fire Tony in what he considered to be his biggest regret ever whereas Ozzie literally quit on his team during the season because he’s a selfish prick.  Doesn’t mean history can’t repeat itself, but Jerry’s affections for these are not the same.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The fact is they don’t need a second interview with Ozzie. They employed him for 8 years in the position they are filling. They have been around him several years recently.They know him a lot better than they know any other candidate Obviously JR paved the way for an Ozzie interview, and he got one. I don’t think they would hire him, but you can’t put it past them. It’s scary until it’s not.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Listening to Levine and Haugh talking about the manager situation. Brought up many names in the last 20 minutes, including Espada. Never once brought up Kevin Long. 

Those guys don't know anything. You'll get better inside info here.

• Like 1

We're all hyper-fans here. We wouldn't post, or lurk, or both, otherwise.

As fans of that ilk, one sees and feels the history, one sees, feels, and senses patterns.

When you watch a game and you know a pitcher is about to fall of a cliff, or a particular pinch hitter is going to send one into orbit, it isn't that you're Nostradamus, it's feel and patterns borne from seeing and feeling such things thousands and thousands of times before.

It's going to be Guillen.

In his mind, Jerry wasn't wrong with his LaRussa hire; instead, the circumstances were wrong. For similar reasons, he believes that bringing back Oswaldo, the manager of his only World Series winner, has the most chance of getting another one in, hmm, from an actuarial standpoint, his limited remaining time as chairman.

Personally, I'm steeling myself for the day that news breaks. I'm already at the point where I don't think it's terrible. You know what you get from Ozzie. He's got some small-ball and Sunday lineup tendencies I despise, but he's also the kind of personality this bunch likely needs. There might be better choices (some of whom would have zero interest in working with this circus), but there are positives for OG, redux.

My hope is that they get creative with the overall succession plan. Give Guillen a 2 year gig, maybe with an option for a third, but make it clear to him that this could be a really good short-term fix while we groom a more long-term manager as his bench coach. And make that bench coach either system wunderkind Justin Jirschele or give Kevin Long a better path to his goals of manager by making him bench coach and hitting coach (simultaneously getting rid of Frankie "Hit 'em where you can't smoke 'em) M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The difference being that Jerry allowed Hawk to fire Tony in what he considered to be his biggest regret ever whereas Ozzie literally quit on his team during the season because he’s a selfish prick.  Doesn’t mean history can’t repeat itself, but Jerry’s affections for these are not the same.

If you believe Jerry when he said he would have traded all 6 NBA championships for a World Series title then you can’t under estimate Jerry’s affection for the one manager who brought him that World Series title. He’s not getting any younger and until Ozzie is ruled out I would not put it past JR to hire him again

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The fact is they don’t need a second interview with Ozzie. They employed him for 8 years in the position they are filling. They have been around him several years recently.They know him a lot better than they know any other candidate Obviously JR paved the way for an Ozzie interview, and he got one. I don’t think they would hire him, but you can’t put it past them. It’s scary until it’s not.

Exactly

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Unfortunately what I’ve learned from Hahn et al is that people don’t get better at their jobs in a JR org, so you have to assume Ozzie will return at his floor.

I can’t conceive of an Ozzie that is anything but a substantially worse version of the one that quit on his team a decade ago.  He hasn’t changed along with the game at all.  TLR again but even worse.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Until the Sox prove that they've removed their heads from their own asses, they don't get the benefit of the doubt. We've seen it too many times in the past to just keep in ignoring the red flags continuously slapping us in the face. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I can’t conceive of an Ozzie that is anything but a substantially worse version of the one that quit on his team a decade ago.  He hasn’t changed along with the game at all.  TLR again but even worse.  

Do you think he’d be worse than tony? I feel like I would take him in a heart beat over Tony and I don’t even want him lol that’s just how low the bar was set by the Tony hire.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Both TLR and Ozzie insist that there’s a right way to play the game and it’s how the game was played in the 1980s. That still even comes through in Ozzie’s commentary. Buntin. Stolen bases. Lead off hitter must always be short. Grindiness. Expect to see Leury leading off at least a few times.

In Ozzie’s pair of good seasons, he had rosters that worked around that. Guys who hit home runs filled key spots and the rest of the league hadn’t figured out ways to neutralize them if the lineup was screwy. In the bad seasons, Ozzie’s tendencies kept hurting.

In his good seasons, the thing Ozzie did bring was confidence to some guys. They were energetic and together. However, in his worst seasons, that same effect became distracting and grating - like the time Nick Swisher had them praying around a blow up sex doll. And on top of that, his last few seasons he began demanding more respect from the organization and refusing to work with the front office - you want to call up Viciedo? I make the f***ing lineups Juan Pierre is my starter and the HR hitter is benched. These personality conflicts started dragging down the same guys who he was supposed to be handling well, because he was more important than any of his players and they had to sit on the bench to demonstrate that.

Maybe unlike LaRussa you get a team that isn’t asleep? But you still get a team that is terrible strategically and constantly outsmarted. This will almost certainly be worse today than in 2011 because the rest of the league has gotten smarter. But, we were constantly out coached the last 2 years, so maybe dumb but motivated is better than dumb and asleep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic