White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Until the Sox prove that they've removed their heads from their own asses, they don't get the benefit of the doubt. We've seen it too many times in the past to just keep in ignoring the red flags continuously slapping us in the face. 

That’s fair. I get the concern. But seems like half the fan base has already resigned to the fact it’s Ozzie when there is little reason to actually do so. 

This fanbase blows my mind sometimes.  How could anyone want Ozzie Guillen as our next manger?  Outside the dugout, the dude has proven to be a selfish, ego-maniac who will put him and his family above all else.  Inside the dugout, he’s an anti-analytics, small ball loving clown who likes to insert himself into games.  The only area where he actually is a big upgrade over Tony is he has an actual pulse and will do a much better job of bringing a consistent effort from his guys.  And guess what?  We can get that from most other candidates along with a modern approach to managing.  I know it’s only a few people, but please stop with the Ozzie is the answer nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This fanbase blows my mind sometimes.  How could anyone want Ozzie Guillen as our next manger?  Outside the dugout, the dude has proven to be a selfish, ego-maniac who will put him and his family above all else.  Inside the dugout, he’s an anti-analytics, small ball loving clown who likes to insert himself into games.  The only area where he actually is a big upgrade over Tony is he has an actual pulse and will do a much better job of bringing a consistent effort from his guys.  And guess what?  We can get that from most other candidates along with a modern approach to managing.  I know it’s only a few people, but please stop with the Ozzie is the answer nonsense.

Seems to be a case of "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't"

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, I don’t think anyone does besides a couple people. Thinking he could be hired as manager =/= actually wanting him.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s fair. I get the concern. But seems like half the fan base has already resigned to the fact it’s Ozzie when there is little reason to actually do so. 

That's also fair. I'm trying to contain any rage until an actual announcement is made, it's just the constant chatter surrounding him that's just getting to me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

To be fair, I don’t think anyone does besides a couple people. Thinking he could be hired as manager =/= actually wanting him.

Oh I know it’s only a couple, but I just can’t believe how easily those few people forget how bad Ozzie was near the end.  Everything about him was legit terrible and costly to our franchise.  I get he was our manager in 2005 and he has funny post-game shows, but he is bad manager and his hire would be disastrous.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

That's also fair. I'm trying to contain any rage until an actual announcement is made, it's just the constant chatter surrounding him that's just getting to me. 

Yeah, that’s my point. The chatter is largely driven by chicken little Sox fans that love to assume the worst. There is very little meaningful chatter indicating Ozzie is anything but a tier 3 option. 

This is a flawed, unproven team. How can you not go into this offseason without such a realization? The rebuild was never completed. Hell, it never really began. It's a rebuild built on three trades and a couple of international signings. The farm system is disaster. Player development is non-existent and while Tony had his problems, none of this was his fault. Been this way throughout this FO regime. Add in some timely injuries, and voila, you have a team relying on Sheets, Harrison, and Garcia.

I just don't get this board sometimes. Seems everyone is looking for the messiah to manage this team. Every thing is a diversion. The way they have handled the manager search has been a diversion, to distract you from a decade-long performance of futility. Hahn and Kenny would not have their jobs on a different team and to that fact, they owe Jerry. Perhaps Jerry is the problem, not going to argue that but he owns the team and I do think he knows the Sox are in a constant battle for relevancy both nationally and in the Chicago market. He just wants to win his way and it's his money. However, expecting Hahn or Kenny to be the savior from the evil Oz is a little short-sighted because a lot of Ozzie backers and even detractors really feel the bigger problem has always been the FO.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The average fan likes a coach/manager who won with them. This is the same city that would've took Mike Ditka back in a heartbeat in the late 90s, early 00s with the Bears.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

This is a flawed, unproven team. How can you not go into this offseason without such a realization? The rebuild was never completed. Hell, it never really began. It's a rebuild built on three trades and a couple of international signings. The farm system is disaster. Player development is non-existent and while Tony had his problems, none of this was his fault. Been this way throughout this FO regime. Add in some timely injuries, and voila, you have a team relying on Sheets, Harrison, and Garcia.

I just don't get this board sometimes. Seems everyone is looking for the messiah to manage this team. Every thing is a diversion. The way they have handled the manager search has been a diversion, to distract you from a decade-long performance of futility. Hahn and Kenny would not have their jobs on a different team and to that fact, they owe Jerry. Perhaps Jerry is the problem, not going to argue that but he owns the team and I do think he knows the Sox are in a constant battle for relevancy both nationally and in the Chicago market. He just wants to win his way and it's his money. However, expecting Hahn or Kenny to be the savior from the evil Oz is a little short-sighted because a lot of Ozzie backers and even detractors really feel the bigger problem has always been the FO.

Here is the Fire Rick Hahn thread.

Ive long thought that firing him wasn’t enough. He should have been fired so many times that after 2016 he also needed to be tarred and feathered and paraded through the south side while fans curse and spit at him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soxfaninfl said:

Ozzie's teams never seemed to have trouble hitting HRs. Ozzieball was a myth derived from basically trading Carlos Lee for Pods. That part actually worked out.

That’s because Kenny kept going out and getting guys like Thome and Quentin who did that. But when Ozzie got his choices, it was Juan Pierre, Darin Erstad, Mark Kotsay.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I believe that’s the case because of what literally just happened 2 years ago today….as long as JR is the owner fans have every right to be skeptical of this front office / ownership 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ozzie's not getting the job but for some reason they're allowing this thing to spin out of control.  It's amazing how out of touch the entire organization is.

I really hope this is 4D chess to hide what they are really trying to do instead of Jerry flipping over the checkers table again to get his way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, that’s my point. The chatter is largely driven by chicken little Sox fans that love to assume the worst. There is very little meaningful chatter indicating Ozzie is anything but a tier 3 option. 

A few years ago, I could have bought in to this.  But this franchise just handed a job to quite literally the worst possible candidate in Tony LaRussa, knowing all of his baggage.  The benefit of the doubt is gone for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here is the Fire Rick Hahn thread.

Ive long thought that firing him wasn’t enough. He should have been fired so many times that after 2016 he also needed to be tarred and feathered and paraded through the south side while fans curse and spit at him.

Yeah... I just don't understand why anyone would trust Hahn to make this decision. There has just never been a real plan to contend and a manager is not going to change that.

All I want from a manager is to get this team to play harder and smarter. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle - injuries are at a minimum and Robert and Eloy become the middle of the order we all envisioned a few scant years ago. Can Ozzie do that? Maybe. Can any of the other names do that? Again, maybe. Just way to much emphasis on the manager selection when the flaws are all still here. I just want a team I can enjoy to go and watch. That was not the case in 2022.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Ozzie's teams never seemed to have trouble hitting HRs. Ozzieball was a myth derived from basically trading Carlos Lee for Pods. That part actually worked out.

You must not remember Dwayne Wise leading of, Ozzie demanding a fast lead off hitter in Juan Pierre, or Ozzie forcing us to get rid of Thome so we could have a rotating DH led by Mark Kotsay.  Ozzie loved his grinders and would play a lineup full of them on Sundays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soxfaninfl said:

Yeah... I just don't understand why anyone would trust Hahn to make this decision. There has just never been a real plan to contend and a manager is not going to change that.

All I want from a manager is to get this team to play harder and smarter. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle - injuries are at a minimum and Robert and Eloy become the middle of the order we all envisioned a few scant years ago. Can Ozzie do that? Maybe. Can any of the other names do that? Again, maybe. Just way to much emphasis on the manager selection when the flaws are all still here. I just want a team I can enjoy to go and watch. That was not the case in 2022.

The root of the problem is we know it’s not Hahns call, it’s a collaborative effort from all of the 3 stooges with ultimately Jerry having 51 percent of that vote instead of letting his employees do their job. 

39 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

From two individuals I recently spoke with who has professional ties with the Sox:

“People, his friends… have tried to tell him what has been going on, “Hawk” Harrelson, the late Ed Farmer… God rest his soul, Darrin Jackson, Scott Reifert (Author’s Note: Scott is the Senior Vice-President for Communications) , Bob Grim and others but it’s just not registering for some reason.”

“JR has become oblivious to things and what he’s allowed to happen is sad. He’s probably the most successful owner in Chicago sports history given the Bulls titles and the White Sox one which is dear to his heart, but what has happened the last two years is just sad. He is out-of-touch. And even worse he’s inaccessible. He’s either afraid of having to answer questions or he’s incapable of doing so.”

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic