White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This fanbase blows my mind sometimes.  How could anyone want Ozzie Guillen as our next manger?  Outside the dugout, the dude has proven to be a selfish, ego-maniac who will put him and his family above all else.  Inside the dugout, he’s an anti-analytics, small ball loving clown who likes to insert himself into games.  The only area where he actually is a big upgrade over Tony is he has an actual pulse and will do a much better job of bringing a consistent effort from his guys.  And guess what?  We can get that from most other candidates along with a modern approach to managing.  I know it’s only a few people, but please stop with the Ozzie is the answer nonsense.

Woof!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You must not remember Dwayne Wise leading of, Ozzie demanding a fast lead off hitter in Juan Pierre, or Ozzie forcing us to get rid of Thome so we could have a rotating DH led by Mark Kotsay.  Ozzie loved his grinders and would play a lineup full of them on Sundays.

Love this. Thome was 38 in a free agent year and he was traded to a contender. I don't remember anyone forcing anyone. It was what it was for a 79-83 team and the Sox did have a decent season in 2010. The one thing I will admit. 2011 was a disaster, not that much better than 2022.

But speed on the base paths will be a thing next year with the rule changes.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You must not remember Dwayne Wise leading of, Ozzie demanding a fast lead off hitter in Juan Pierre, or Ozzie forcing us to get rid of Thome so we could have a rotating DH led by Mark Kotsay.  Ozzie loved his grinders and would play a lineup full of them on Sundays.

I’m still partial to Carlos Quentin starting 08 on the bench for Jerry Owens. That season was saved by Owens getting hurt.

I also like the time in either 10 or 11 when it was clear Alexei Ramirez was one of the worst bunters we ever saw, he came up with 0 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, and bunted into a triple play because the bunt can never fail.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That's funny. But again, I don't see the need to be overly negative about this. The game has changed, and I'm reasonably  sure he's young enough, and attentivre enough to  understand what's going on with it. 

His comments on postgame shows over the years imply otherwise

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would 100% count dinner with Jerry as the first. Dinner with Jerry is worse than an interview with anyone else in the front office.

Absolutely. It’s a credit to Ozzie that he knew exactly what needed to be done —win over JR first, and at that point the second “interview” doesn’t even matter 

8 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Love this. Thome was 38 in a free agent year and he was traded to a contender. I don't remember anyone forcing anyone. It was what it was for a 79-83 team and the Sox did have a decent season in 2010. The one thing I will admit. 2011 was a disaster, not that much better than 2022.

But speed on the base paths will be a thing next year with the rule changes.

🤔

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told veteran slugger Jim Thome he won’t be asked to rejoin the team as a designated hitter.

Thome, who played three-plus seasons with the White Sox before he was traded to the Dodgers on Aug. 31, was interested in returning to Chicago.

General manager Ken Williams gave Guillen the final call on the move, and Guillen decided he couldn’t give Thome enough at-bats to justify bringing him back.

“I play him once a week or twice a week. I don’t think it was fair for him,” Guillen said Monday.

He talked to Thome on Sunday and said the veteran slugger understood the situation.

Guillen has made it clear as the new season approaches that he wants a rotating DH.

Backups, such as Mark Kotsay and Andrew Jones, could get a chance to keep their batting eyes sharp while regulars like Paul Konerko and Carlos Quentin could have a day off from the field.

Thome put up a 177 wRC+ that year…Kotsay put up an 80 over 359 PAs.

What if Ozzie is just on the staff? They would make a lot more sense than handing him the keys. They’re gonna have to fill this staff regardless and a former manager with fire isn’t a bad guy to have this group. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

What if Ozzie is just on the staff? They would make a lot more sense than handing him the keys. They’re gonna have to fill this staff regardless and a former manager with fire isn’t a bad guy to have this group. 

I don't think Ozzie is man enough to check his ego at the door and deal with a boss.  Hell that was his biggest problem a decade ago.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

You really think his ego would let him take a role like bench coach? Having him in this role might drive a wedge between him and a new incoming manager. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

It would be even worse. What manager would want that? The first losing streak, Ozzie needs to take over would be in the stands, on talk radio…

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think Ozzie is man enough to check his ego at the door and deal with a boss.  Hell that was his biggest problem a decade ago.

He’s currently doing TV. If he wants to get back into managing, getting a job on a staff seems like a natural progression. 

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

You really think his ego would let him take a role like bench coach? Having him in this role might drive a wedge between him and a new incoming manager. 

As I just said, his ego currently has him doing post game shows and completely out of the dugout, so yeah…I think it’s possible. Mainly just spitballing tho.

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He’s currently doing TV. If he wants to get back into managing, getting a job on a staff seems like a natural progression. 

While it might be a good fit for him to get back into the game, I see it bringing locker room divide and trouble for a brand new manager 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

And his best way to do that would have been to stick to baseball knowledge on TV, and not opening campaign for another man's job thus showing he still is egotistical and untrustworthy when it comes to working as a part of a team.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just let the new manager select his own staff.  It should be obvious by now that the FO has no special talent in this area.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As I just said, his ego currently has him doing post game shows and completely out of the dugout, so yeah…I think it’s possible. Mainly just spitballing tho.

The only positives I see Ozzie bringing to this team is his fire/passion, knowledge of this team watching them every night and his connection to the Latin players on the roster. As far as his approach to how the game should be played I don’t think he would be a good fit in todays baseball. 

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

The only positives I see Ozzie bringing to this team is his fire/passion, knowledge of this team watching them every night and his connection to the Latin players on the roster. As far as his approach to how the game should be played I don’t think he would be a good fit in todays baseball. 

No argument from me. I don’t want Ozzie at all, nor do I think he’s legit candidate for much of anything. 

7 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

That fire and passion was there at the beginning and a punchline by the end. 

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ozzie’s ego would never allow for that.

And also sets up the actual manager to fail. Too much pressure when you have another powerful voice like Ozzie vying for attention or maybe not singing the same tune. That sounds like a disaster that no manager would want to take on.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic