White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

🤔

Thome put up a 177 wRC+ that year…Kotsay put up an 80 over 359 PAs.

I just don’t see forced. Ozzie made a judgment call based on what he knew at the time, a lot like the judgment call many here are making about Abreu. That’s why I said , ‘love this’. It’s just the hypocritical thinking that drives me nuts on this board like when someone praises Cleveland and then in the next breath talks about ‘modern analytical baseball…’ or bashes small ball.

Just many ways to win in this game but you need a plan or strategy.

Edited by soxfaninfl
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What if Ozzie is just on the staff? They would make a lot more sense than handing him the keys. They’re gonna have to fill this staff regardless and a former manager with fire isn’t a bad guy to have this group. 

No better way to welcome a new manager than a forced hire on his staff.

5 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

I just don’t see forced. Ozzie made a judgment call based on what he knew at the time, a lot like the judgment call many here are making about Abreu. That’s why I said , ‘love this’. It’s just the hypocritical thinking that drives me nuts on this board like when someone praises Cleveland and then in the next breath talks about ‘modern analytical baseball…’ or bashes small ball.

Almost everyone hated that move here at the time. Ozzie made that judgment call because he believed firmly that was how to play the game, guys who put the ball in play and go the other way are more valuable than guys who hit the ball out of the park. It’s an example of the kind of mistakes we would expect to repeat if this happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, that’s my point. The chatter is largely driven by chicken little Sox fans that love to assume the worst. There is very little meaningful chatter indicating Ozzie is anything but a tier 3 option. 

The chatter locally has been driven by sports radio & the RSN talking heads which I think is just fueling the fire for a section of fans. While it may ultimately mean nothing in the end, it's rather unavoidable on a daily basis. 

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

The chatter locally has been driven by sports radio & the RSN talking heads which I think is just fueling the fire for a section of fans. While it may ultimately mean nothing in the end, it's rather unavoidable on a daily basis. 

This chatter exploded today because of confirmation that he got 2 interviews, which we’ve heard about very few people. We also have none of the so-called insiders saying that it won’t happen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Everyone at the time knew it was horrendous. And we were right. Won’t accept “who knew?!”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This chatter exploded today because of confirmation that he got 2 interviews, which we’ve heard about very few people. We also have none of the so-called insiders saying that it won’t happen.

Exactly, the dumbassery of this org knows no bounds. Only they would hire a manager that hadn't managed in 10 years and then somehow entertain the possibilty to hire another manager that hasn't managed in 10 years and also legitimately quit on your team once before. Mind blowing stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

The White Sox can’t play like Cleveland. They don’t have a roster that can apparently stay healthy to hustle all the time, and don’t have the defense to win with small ball.  Playing small ball in the home run haven the Sox play in seems a bit dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

And also sets up the actual manager to fail. Too much pressure when you have another powerful voice like Ozzie vying for attention or maybe not singing the same tune. That sounds like a disaster that no manager would want to take on.

If the new manager wants Ozzie on his staff...so, be it.  Just so long as the new manager can be judged on his own merits.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

What if Ozzie is just on the staff? They would make a lot more sense than handing him the keys. They’re gonna have to fill this staff regardless and a former manager with fire isn’t a bad guy to have this group. 

You'd have to go in the opposite direction. Name Ozzie the manager with a bench coach in charge of decision making. Ozzie as figurehead gets to do what he does best with motivating and taking the heat off players. See what he can do with Moncada etc. Still could lead to a frosty relationship.

15 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

You'd have to go in the opposite direction. Name Ozzie the manager with a bench coach in charge of decision making. Ozzie as figurehead gets to do what he does best with motivating and taking the heat off players. See what he can do with Moncada etc. Still could lead to a frosty relationship.

This is something this clown show of an organization would come up with. No one really knowing who is in charge from the front office down to the coaching staff

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be genuinely confused about why literally any manager would want this.

I wouldn't expect any manager would want Ozzie on his staff.  I am saying the FO should not try to force that move.

Interviewing Ozzie makes me think of another local hire that was thought to be impossible until it actually happened; Dave Laitao 2.0 at DePaul. The parallels are a little scary. 

DePaul engaged a search firm to come up with candidates. They did their due diligence and went back to the AD (Jeanne Lenti Ponseto) and told her "you've got a problem. Nobody wants to take this job and work under this administration". You better find sometime who will take it under your terms or you'll look like an idiot. She grabbed Leitao and set the program back another decade. 

Now look at the Sox. We want people like Espada, Long, Grifol, etc. They get interviewed and find out this organization is even more dysfunctional than they could imagine. JR making the real decisions, a bunch of sycophants bowing to JR, not getting to hire your own coaches, known "moles" in your clubhouse. You look it that and say "no thanks". 

Now the Sox are down to their #5 or 6 choice and someone says "we better find someone that won't incite a riot by the fans. What would be worse, hiring Joe Madden or bringing back Ozzie. Ozzie desperately wants back in the game and will say whatever will get him the job...... knowing full well he'll do it his way once he gets the job or go to the press and b****. 

A stretch? Maybe, but I put NOTHING past this organization.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic