White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox aren’t hiring Ozzie. So he had a sit down with Jerry and was granted an interview with Hanh, Getz and Haber. So what? Several other candidates have had actual 2nd interviews. Just relax; most Sox fans just revel in this negative narrative. 

I agree unfortunately. If hired the Sox would be the only sports organization going against cancel culture deliberately and just asking for pickets, boycotts, etc. Ozzie unfortuntely has said some things that got him canceled. That's Oz's fault and in 2022 you can't come back from that. The fact he's on TV is a miracle in itself.

The Sox can't be 100 percent sure they'd be hiring a guy who brings out severe backlash from the organizations/people responsible for canceling him. Sox don't need that grief with so many candidates out there who haven't said offensive things in the past. Hence he won't be the choice IMO.

No need to cry for Ozzeroo obviously. He has to make top dollar as an analyst and made top dollar as a player/manager. To repeat my broken record, I will rejoice if he's named skipper but won't happen. I would bet big bucks if there's a website with odds.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox aren’t hiring Ozzie. So he had a sit down with Jerry and was granted an interview with Hanh, Getz and Haber. So what? Several other candidates have had actual 2nd interviews. Just relax; most Sox fans just revel in this negative narrative. 

It's not reveling in the negative narrative. It's discussing the most recent narrative. Espada yes then no, Long, who knows any rumors about any others ? Not really.

Espada will be your next skipper. That's my take. Sox have to be hoping Astros win it all for more positive pub from the hire. ... He's an obvious no brainer choice. Bench coach at a powerhouse winner.

p.s. if Oz didn't have personal baggage IMO he'd actually be a good choice of the Royals. Think about the fit from a baseball sense.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Espada will be your next skipper. That's my take. Sox have to be hoping Astros win it all for more positive pub from the hire. ... He's an obvious no brainer choice. Bench coach at a powerhouse winner.

p.s. if Oz didn't have personal baggage IMO he'd actually be a good choice of the Royals. Think about the fit from a baseball sense.

Okay. I’m thinking about it….

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Just think how many years it would be since the Sox won a WS if Oz had not been our skipper. Scary thought.

Why would you assume they don't win in 05 without Ozzie? Maybe without Ozzie they repeat in 06? Who knows.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, wegner said:

Like it or not, this is at least 95% Jerry's call imo, so Ozzie is definitely a possibility.

Personally, I see no indication Jerry, even if he is batshit senile at this point, has any more or less baseball acumen than Rick Hahn.

Kenny Williams has his faults, but he is the only person with input who has any clue about Major League Baseball in the FO. The problem is he’s gone after next year, and I’m not sure how involved he is at this stage.

The more stupid rumors we hear, the higher the probability is:

1. They will make yet another stupid hire.

2. Teflon Hahn will do all that he knows how, which is to s%*# blame to others.

3. Hahn will be promoted after 2023 when Kenny leaves, an equally unqualified Yes Man will take his current spot, and both will remain as the new new White Sox Gar / Pax until Jerry is gone.

6 hours ago, flavum said:

Listening to Levine and Haugh talking about the manager situation. Brought up many names in the last 20 minutes, including Espada. Never once brought up Kevin Long. 

Levine doesn’t know what year it is let alone who the Sox are picking for manager. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I agree unfortunately. If hired the Sox would be the only sports organization going against cancel culture deliberately and just asking for pickets, boycotts, etc. Ozzie unfortuntely has said some things that got him canceled. That's Oz's fault and in 2022 you can't come back from that. The fact he's on TV is a miracle in itself.

The Sox can't be 100 percent sure they'd be hiring a guy who brings out severe backlash from the organizations/people responsible for canceling him. Sox don't need that grief with so many candidates out there who haven't said offensive things in the past. Hence he won't be the choice IMO.

No need to cry for Ozzeroo obviously. He has to make top dollar as an analyst and made top dollar as a player/manager. To repeat my broken record, I will rejoice if he's named skipper but won't happen. I would bet big bucks if there's a website with odds.

You are talking about an organization who hired a guy who just got a DUI earlier in the year. To think Jerry gives a crap about what anyone else thinks when it comes to hiring his guy you are far off base with that. He doesn’t care about any kind of back lash as been proven previously 

• Like 1

Ozzie would probably be the best choice to add fan interest in a city that has a competitive market for fans sports dollars. Ozzie  has long relationships with KW, Hahn, JR, and the Reinsdorf family although some have been rocky over the years. He also know many of the players on the team 

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Let's not act like Ozzie was the sole reason that team won. C'mon.

Not the sole reason, but are you suggesting he didn't have a big part in it?  If so, then I guess you're saying teams are able to win no matter who the manages them.  If so, then why does it matter who they hire now?

1 hour ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Not the sole reason, but are you suggesting he didn't have a big part in it?  If so, then I guess you're saying teams are able to win no matter who the manages them.  If so, then why does it matter who they hire now?

Why does me saying he wasn't the sole reason the won insinuate that I feel he played no part? Maybe I'd like to simply acknowledge the career-year performances of the players on the team? It takes more than any one player or manager for a team to win.

Most average-to-good managers don't affect their teams performances all that much - but bad mangers can. Hence Tony last year. Ozzie wasn't exactly Grade-A manager material towards the end of his Sox stint. Getting traded as a manager in the middle of the season is astoundingly shocking. There isn't anything wrong with admitting that he wore out his welcome and when things got bad he only made it worse with his antics. I will forever be grateful for 2005, but I in no way shape or form want to see him back managing the Sox. He may have been what that team needed in 2005, that that was a different game back then. This team doesn't need another out-of-touch old school baseball mind that can't even understand the basics of exit velocity. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Why does me saying he wasn't the sole reason the won insinuate that I feel he played no part? Maybe I'd like to simply acknowledge the career-year performances of the players on the team? It takes more than any one player or manager for a team to win.

Most average-to-good managers don't affect their teams performances all that much - but bad mangers can. Hence Tony last year. Ozzie wasn't exactly Grade-A manager material towards the end of his Sox stint. Getting traded as a manager in the middle of the season is astoundingly shocking. There isn't anything wrong with admitting that he wore out his welcome and when things got bad he only made it worse with his antics. I will forever be grateful for 2005, but I in no way shape or form want to see him back managing the Sox. He may have been what that team needed in 2005, that that was a different game back then. This team doesn't need another out-of-touch old school baseball mind that can't even understand the basics of exit velocity. 

This 100%.

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I agree with your comment that most average to good managers don't affect their team's performance all that much.  Ozzie probably had about the normal impact on them winning in 2005 as most managers do.  I think Ozzie understands the game better than you think, but the roster construction decisions will be poor which makes this managerial decision inconsequential.  

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

OZZIE GUILLEN QUIT ON THE TEAM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON!

Actually he didn't but with all the major players still with the White Sox (Oz, KW, Jerry), you'd think the Sox would say thanks but no thanks to Oz. There's no way KW will allow the Sox to bring back Oz when KW relationship with Oz is a huge reason Oz quit on the team and left Chicago for Miami. ... This Oz talk is kind of disrespectful to everybody on the Sox. True I worship Oz in a baseball sense of the word, but it's not like he has to be considered for the opening especially considering the past bad blood. I betcha it's Astros bench coach to be announced at the end of the WS. Prolly after the parade in Houston.

Edited by greg775

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic