White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

Ozzie has evolved with his temperament for sure and has learned  a lot about the relationship between a Manager and the media from co-hosting pre/post game shows with Garfein. There he agreed with and sometimes disagreed with criticisms directed at LaRussa, realizing that some fans thrive on Monday morning quarterbacking while others are never going to be happy. 

No one is ever going to accuse Ozzie of not trying to motivate his players or losing control of the clubhouse, like Ventura did. He  does not have the limitations that aging brings on, like Tony encountered. Oz has mended old fences, especially with KW, who he genuinely respects. Ozzie respects RH and absolutely reveres Jerry Reinsdorf for what he has done for him and his family. That is the fact no matter  whether you like Ozzie or not.

As far as idle threats to not attend games if Oz is Manager, why?  If that is how shallow one's connection is with the WSox is, fine. Adios. Fair weather fans are often discovered to not be genuine Sox fans at all, and that raises the question - how much should their opinions count on any decisions the WSox make? Like you have veto power because you attended one game last season?

• Like 5
  • TLR 1

The Ozzie thing has to stop. There is no reason to think he is one of the answers to this team. Some people say that Ozzie can't be controlled. No, he can't control himself, and the team doesn't need that right now. 

At this point, this franchise needs credibility. One way to gain that credibility is to not hire Ozzie. It would be the same mistake all over again and would convince me the team would be going nowhere. 2005 happened 17 years ago and is now becoming a distant memory. Time to move on for god's sake.

10 minutes ago, tray said:

No one is ever going to accuse Ozzie of not trying to motivate his players or losing control of the clubhouse, like Ventura did.

I will. 2010-2011 Ozzie didn’t care one iota about his clubhouse or his players. It was all about Ozzie. The game had to be played his way, with players he liked, and if he didn’t like you then he didn’t care about you. Where his son got drafted and his contract extension were way more important than having guys ready to go, he didn’t even want some of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Who doesn't put their family above all else.

Guess what?......we'd still be searching for a World Series if Ozzie wasn't the manager in 2005, so it's not nonsense.

Do I want Ozzie as our 2023 Manager? no, much Like Ditka Ozzie wore out his welcome and I want a new Manager with no affiliation to the White Sox. Either current WS coaches Espada or Long would be a fresh start and to hear Espada is out is discouraging. 

You’d let your kids talk s%*# about your employer?  You’d let your kid share secrets about your coworkers in public?  You’d rip your employer for not giving your kid a sweet job?  Because Ozzie did all those things.

Putting “family first” does not mean enabling your kids to be complete assholes or pouting when your kids don’t get benefit of nepotism.  Let’s keep Ozzie and his circus of douchebag sons away from our franchise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

Hate to nitpick because he did move on and I get the sentiment but it was after game 160, not exactly middle of the season.

The point is the season wasn’t over.  And us trading him didn’t just suddenly occur, he was actively pursuing the opportunity.  And regardless, he bitched & whined all season about not having a contract beyond the current season.  I remember going into a huge series against Detroit that year and Ozzie was more worried about his contract situation rather than the fate of the team.  He is a selfish prick and I can’t believe anyone would defend his actions.  Especially when he wasn’t a good manager the minute his ego inflated after 2005.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Listening to espn 1000 this morning and they are saying Pedro grifol is the guy to watch in this hiring process. Hanley said Jesse Rogers thinks he has the job fwiw…

I literally know nothing about Grifol, but taking a guy from a losing organization who happen to have a manager opening themselves would make me very unexcited.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The point is the season wasn’t over.  And us trading him didn’t just suddenly occur, he was actively pursuing the opportunity.  And regardless, he bitched & whined all season about not having a contract beyond the current season.  I remember going into a huge series against Detroit that year and Ozzie was more worried about his contract situation rather than the fate of the team.  He is a selfish prick and I can’t believe anyone would defend his actions.  Especially when he wasn’t a good manager the minute his ego inflated after 2005.

This was also for a team that had missed the playoffs 3 straight years and had 1 playoff win in 6 years, without ever saying that they were rebuilding. Those results did not deserve a contract extension. He should have had to play out his lame duck year for his job.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I literally know nothing about Grifol, but taking a guy from a losing organization who happen to have a manager opening themselves would make me very unexcited.

Maybe there's a bidding war between the Royals and White Sox for Grifol LOL!  If that's the case don't worry, the Sox will lose.

Seriously though, your point is spot on.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

As far as idle threats to not attend games if Oz is Manager, why?  If that is how shallow one's connection is with the WSox is, fine. Adios. Fair weather fans are often discovered to not be genuine Sox fans at all

We all just sat through a full rebuild that started 6 years ago with promises of championship contending clubs, and to date we have received 2 playoff game victories and nothing else.

If you want to turn this into a "real fans" debate, then I would argue that the "real" fans are the ones who actually care about the team's success and want them to stop making the same mistake over and over, rather than the ones who would blindly love another former Sox manager comeback story that is, once again, very clearly not going to work out

• Like 4
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah. And he doesn't seem to check the boxes as I recall Rick spelling out when he spoke to the media.

This is the one guy I would be less excited about than Ozzie Guillen.

• Like 2

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic