White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

Anyone else just over this stupid organization? It sucks that my local team is the fucking Rockies. Who the f*** am I going to cheer for next year?

The White Sox literally open in Houston next year and I’ve never been to an opening day. I don’t know how to do this. White Sox jersey and a paper bag over my head? A sign that says fire Ozzie?

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah. And he doesn't seem to check the boxes as I recall Rick spelling out when he spoke to the media.

This is the one guy I would be less excited about than Ozzie Guillen.

I’d rather go with unknown but good interview and insight into how to improve this team than Ozzie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox literally open in Houston next year and I’ve never been to an opening day. I don’t know how to do this. White Sox jersey and a paper bag over my head? A sign that says fire Ozzie?

I think "Jerry sell the team" is always relevant. Maybe bring one of those?

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Never been to opening day but let me waste the one time of a special moment and act like a 🤡.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Listening to espn 1000 this morning and they are saying Pedro grifol is the guy to watch in this hiring process. Hanley said Jesse Rogers thinks he has the job fwiw…

That'd be great. The Latin American players love him. Could do worse than Salvador Perez' catching coach. The only concern I'd have with him is he's a perennial candidate that never gets the job, but you can say that about a pretty much all the non-retreads (Alomar, Espada, etc). The interview I listened to him, he may be a bit of a nerd, but the players seem to like him so good enough for me.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

On 10/27/2022 at 6:43 AM, Texsox said:

Except no one who actually was part of the process has commented publically. It very well may be accurate. But labeling it fact with so much certainly is more than I would do. The only comment was all from JR. 

Ok. That’s your choose and it’s a completely reasonable one. Given who I’ve heard it from, I feel completely comfortable stating it as fact. I don’t feel statements can only be made about something solely based on what’s been publicly stated. Also, what are RH and KW supposed to say publicly? That they made a choice but then the owner who hired them to make these decisions undercut their choice and went over them to hire his friend/choice?  I mean, the White Sox marketing department literally released the TLR welcome graphic with AJ Hinch’s signature on it. 

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Listening to espn 1000 this morning and they are saying Pedro grifol is the guy to watch in this hiring process. Hanley said Jesse Rogers thinks he has the job fwiw…

If this were the case, why wouldn’t they just hire him and announce it already? There is nothing preventing them from doing so and he’s not in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I will. 2010-2011 Ozzie didn’t care one iota about his clubhouse or his players. It was all about Ozzie. The game had to be played his way, with players he liked, and if he didn’t like you then he didn’t care about you. Where his son got drafted and his contract extension were way more important than having guys ready to go, he didn’t even want some of them.

Make that at least two.  Ozzie is all about Ozzie.  Nothing has changed in 15 years or so.

46 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

Anyone else just over this stupid organization? It sucks that my local team is the fucking Rockies. Who the f*** am I going to cheer for next year?

Out of town baseball is great, if I could only quit the team that plays down the street from me...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How does one dress like a dumpster fire?  Or a flaming bag of poo?

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I literally know nothing about Grifol, but taking a guy from a losing organization who happen to have a manager opening themselves would make me very unexcited.

Yep same. I would not be excited about this at all. He had been interviewed by KC once before and they went with Matheny instead and he’s literally right there to fill the manager vacancy and they haven’t done it. Hard pass. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tray said:

Ozzie has evolved with his temperament for sure and has learned  a lot about the relationship between a Manager and the media from co-hosting pre/post game shows with Garfein. There he agreed with and sometimes disagreed with criticisms directed at LaRussa, realizing that some fans thrive on Monday morning quarterbacking while others are never going to be happy. 

No one is ever going to accuse Ozzie of not trying to motivate his players or losing control of the clubhouse, like Ventura did. He  does not have the limitations that aging brings on, like Tony encountered. Oz has mended old fences, especially with KW, who he genuinely respects. Ozzie respects RH and absolutely reveres Jerry Reinsdorf for what he has done for him and his family. That is the fact no matter  whether you like Ozzie or not.

As far as idle threats to not attend games if Oz is Manager, why?  If that is how shallow one's connection is with the WSox is, fine. Adios. Fair weather fans are often discovered to not be genuine Sox fans at all, and that raises the question - how much should their opinions count on any decisions the WSox make? Like you have veto power because you attended one game last season?

Fan opinion isn’t relevant to the Jerry Reinsdorf. If it was, LaRuss would have never been hired and he’d make investments in star players available in free agents when they show an interest in playing for your franchise. He’s a great business man and his the principles he applies in business work well. Granted the White Sox organization is a business, those conservative and hardline financial principles simply don’t work when negotiating for star players. It’s why the largest contract ever given in franchise history is $73M. 

Ozzie has good traits and bad ones. I’m sure he has learned many things since he last managed. Minimal self reflection over a decade could accomplish that. But there’s a reason why he has d managed in a decade and at the end of the day, people don’t change all that much and he s%*# all over the organization in 2010-2011 over a contract extension he thought he was entitled to. The reality is winning franchises with real standards set regarding performance and results standards likely don’t even keep Ozzie around as long as he was.

I’m not anti Ozzie either. I like some of the tangibles he brings to the table. But I don’t want him as the managerial choice. There are better options and frankly he’s done nothing to warrant the opportunity. 

46 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That'd be great. The Latin American players love him. Could do worse than Salvador Perez' catching coach. The only concern I'd have with him is he's a perennial candidate that never gets the job, but you can say that about a pretty much all the non-retreads (Alomar, Espada, etc). The interview I listened to him, he may be a bit of a nerd, but the players seem to like him so good enough for me.

If he's that good why don't the Royals hire him as Manager?  Surely they know more about him than anyone else.  And what ever happened to hiring someone from a winning organization?

On 10/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

So Hahn is the one leaking this news clearly. So annoying.

JR is Bob Nightengale’s source. The Hinch news is known. Hinch thought the Sox job was his and was even starting the process of looking at homes. I believe some of the staff he planned on hiring did as well. It was pretty much set. JR overruled both Hahn and KW once TLR gave JR a yes. That Nightingale quote is either an opinion provided by JR himself, Bob just echoing JR’s opinion, or just a bad take by Bob himself.     

58 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Please.  That's so childish.

Reinsdorf, LaRussa, or any front office hire or manager would not keep me from enjoying my favorite summer pastime.

He wouldnt enjoy his summer, theres nothing childish about it. My interest in next season would plummet if we find another way to be the laughingstock of mlb

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The point is the season wasn’t over.  And us trading him didn’t just suddenly occur, he was actively pursuing the opportunity.  And regardless, he bitched & whined all season about not having a contract beyond the current season.  I remember going into a huge series against Detroit that year and Ozzie was more worried about his contract situation rather than the fate of the team.  He is a selfish prick and I can’t believe anyone would defend his actions.  Especially when he wasn’t a good manager the minute his ego inflated after 2005.

Yes, this went on for 2 seasons. There were also a lot of disputes between Ozzie and the front office over player personnel. The streaming/flex DH with Kotsay+ (Ozzie’s choice) over signing Thome (KW/RH’s choice) comes to mind. Thome went on to rake for a 2 more seasons (1.5 with the Twins). And Mark Kotsay… well, he was Mark Kotsay, put up a OPS in the .600’s, and the Sox ended up having near the lowest or THE lowest DH production in MLB. 

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic