White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Yes, this went on for 2 seasons. There were also a lot of disputes between Ozzie and the front office over player personnel. The streaming/flex DH with Kotsay+ (Ozzie’s choice) over signing Thome (KW/RH’s choice) comes to mind. Thome went on to rake for a 2 more seasons (1.5 with the Twins). And Mark Kotsay… well, he was Mark Kotsay, put up a OPS in the .600’s, and the Sox ended up having near the lowest or THE lowest DH production in MLB. 

Personnel decisions were the weakest aspect of Ozzie: he wanted a team full of hackers.  Erstad ("like a .400 hitter"), Wise (and as leadoff hitter); and as someone reminded us yesterday, he had Jerry Owens for CF, with Quentin in the minors.  He also had no patience with young players.

2 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Hire for Latin players being overplayed 

Yes it is. Furthermore, there are plenty of players who speak both languages, as well as other coaches/staff, etc. I don’t think it’s all that relevant. It certainly doesn’t hurt from a communications standpoint. But it’s not going to be a sticking point.  

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

“Nitpicking” doesn’t change any of his disloyal selfish behaviour, which shows no signs of changing or evolving in the past decade.  

Hasn't Ozzie been pretty non controversial in his analysis on TV and all the radio shows he goes on regarding the Sox? Hasn't he been pretty fair to the team as well? He hasn't gone on any wild tangents about the team's ineptitude or politics has he? A decent sign there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Personnel decisions were the weakest aspect of Ozzie: he wanted a team full of hackers.  Erstad ("like a .400 hitter"), Wise (and as leadoff hitter); and as someone reminded us yesterday, he had Jerry Owens for CF, with Quentin in the minors.  He also had no patience with young players.

Good points. Ozzie certainly should not have control over the roster. Of course managers have their faves but Ozz shouldn't have been allowed so much power re. personnel decisions if indeed he did.

1 hour ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Ok. That’s your choose and it’s a completely reasonable one. Given who I’ve heard it from, I feel completely comfortable stating it as fact. I don’t feel statements can only be made about something solely based on what’s been publicly stated. Also, what are RH and KW supposed to say publicly? That they made a choice but then the owner who hired them to make these decisions undercut their choice and went over them to hire his friend/choice?  I mean, the White Sox marketing department literally released the TLR welcome graphic with AJ Hinch’s signature on it. 

Like I said it's a strong assumption, one I wouldn't disagree with, but I wouldn't label it as fact. The fact is we don't know. Maybe they said "hey here are the two we think are excellent candidates, Tony and Hinch. We can't decide so JR you pick". Maybe they screamed and yelled and threw things at JR. I don't know, I wasn't there. 

Another possibility is someone in the PR department worked on a mock up of press release weeks before and used an actual candidate's name, not a made up name like would be common. Later they didn't do a good job of proof reading. Perhaps it was wishful thinking by a low level staffer. Perhaps it was Kenny directing it. 

The fact is we may never know. 

51 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

He wouldnt enjoy his summer, theres nothing childish about it. My interest in next season would plummet if we find another way to be the laughingstock of mlb

I can guarantee to you that regardless of any manager hire, there will be at least a dozen teams bigger laughingstocks over the Sox.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No they're not.  This whole thing is media and stupid twitter driven.

The fact that he had a sit down with Jerry then an actual interview with Hahn & others means yes Jerry is actually considering him and that’s the only guy who matters unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Please.  That's so childish.

Reinsdorf, LaRussa, or any front office hire or manager would not keep me from enjoying my favorite summer pastime.

Agree. It will hilarious watching games with Ozzie back in the dugout. HOFHurt, you’ll watch, we all will. Hey, I don’t want him either, but we’ll all watch the 1st month for shits and grins as they say. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Agree. It will hilarious watching games with Ozzie back in the dugout. HOFHurt, you’ll watch, we all will. Hey, I don’t want him either, but we’ll all watch the 1st month for shits and grins as they say. 

I won't!

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

The fact that he had a sit down with Jerry then an actual interview with Hahn & others means yes Jerry is actually considering him and that’s the only guy who matters unfortunately. 

They only granted him an interview because of Reinsdorf's weird one way loyalty. Absolutely no one wants him to manage the team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That'd be great. The Latin American players love him. Could do worse than Salvador Perez' catching coach. 

Salvador Perez is consistently one of the worst defensive players in baseball

I don't know much about Grifol overall, but I wouldn't use that as a selling point for him

33 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Salvador Perez is consistently one of the worst defensive players in baseball

I don't know much about Grifol overall, but I wouldn't use that as a selling point for him

Not when he came up through his first 5 or so years (when Grifol was actually the catching coach). He's not a good framer but was elite in pretty much all other aspects.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They only granted him an interview because of Reinsdorf's weird one way loyalty. Absolutely no one wants him to manage the team. 

Harold, with the interview being granted do you feel that JR will force KW/RH hand in trying to hire Ozzie?

10 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Not when he came up through his first 5 or so years (when Grifol was actually the catching coach). He's not a good framer but was elite in pretty much all other aspects.

Fair enough. He definitely has gotten much worse back there with age

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic