White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

How about Long for Manager (to cure the offensive woes) and Washington as Bench Coach (to cure the defensive/fundamental woes)?

While Washington would be a great hire as bench coach, I don’t think the Braves would let him go for what is essentially a lateral opportunity.

Honestly, I’d be ok with Cairo as bench coach if Long is brought onboard.  Let Katz & Hasler handle the pitching.  Have Kevin replace the rest of the staff.

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Who does Jerry want?  Quit making us guess. The manager will be whoever Jerry wants. 

Management by committee doesn't seem to work all that well.  Perhaps Hahn should be allowed to make this decision...or have the balls to quit.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

If it's between Ozzie and Long, pick Ozzie. Why do we want a hitting coach? If Sox are gonna go with Long, why not Oz or Washington or Joe Girardi. Girardi is only 58. Why not him?? I'm not thrilled about Long.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

How about Long for Manager (to cure the offensive woes) and Washington as Bench Coach (to cure the defensive/fundamental woes)?

Why would Ron Washington - a former manager who was one strike away from winning a World Series - sign up to be a bench coach for a guy who’s never managed in the major leagues? And why would he do it for an organization that is seemingly light years behind his current organization? Come on now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Revisit what?  Grandal's 2021, or 3 times in 4 years with an OPS of over .800 before that?   Moncada's 2019? Even his 2021 was a 4 war season

Next year will see with new manager how much the numbers improve……they won’t. 

Edited by Soxfest

2 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Nobody alive can make Moncada or Grandal play better.

I replied earlier, but to clarify the full thought, this is correct. Players are responsible for themselves. You cannot expect a Spanish speaking manager to get a guy to focus on improving and then improving. That is done on the player side. There is no need to be concerned about the latino manager getting this team to play better if they speak English a second language. These guys are good pros or they aren’t. 

20 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I replied earlier, but to clarify the full thought, this is correct. Players are responsible for themselves. You cannot expect a Spanish speaking manager to get a guy to focus on improving and then improving. That is done on the player side. There is no need to be concerned about the latino manager getting this team to play better if they speak English a second language. These guys are good pros or they aren’t. 

You're right. In fact the Sox should expand the search including those who exclusively speak Mandarin, Arabic, Hindi, or French and see how well that works out for them. It's on the players after all to figure it out.

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

Like I said it's a strong assumption, one I wouldn't disagree with, but I wouldn't label it as fact. The fact is we don't know. Maybe they said "hey here are the two we think are excellent candidates, Tony and Hinch. We can't decide so JR you pick". Maybe they screamed and yelled and threw things at JR. I don't know, I wasn't there. 

Another possibility is someone in the PR department worked on a mock up of press release weeks before and used an actual candidate's name, not a made up name like would be common. Later they didn't do a good job of proof reading. Perhaps it was wishful thinking by a low level staffer. Perhaps it was Kenny directing it. 

The fact is we may never know. 

No, there are plenty of people who know. It isn’t exactly a big secret. Also these aren’t a bunch of anti JR people who have mentioned it either. It wasn’t mentioned with an agenda. Simply as a description of what occurred. If you only take things as fact because they’re publicly stated that perfectly fine with me. We can agree to disagree. I respect your point of view on it and 100 get it. 

29 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If there was ever a time to retire the notion that the manager can’t make a difference it’s after the 2022 White Sox season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

He was passed over by the Royals. The team that employed him for 10 years including most recently as their bench coach. I think that tells us all we need to know about Grifol. 

That doesn't mean too much to me. Pretty much every manager has been passed over at one point. Bob Melvin is considered one ot the best in the business. He was fired by the DBacks, and was passed over by several teams before hooking up with the A's. Who is your candidate of choice? I bet I can find instances they were passed over as well. 

In fact, the way this works, a bench coach of the Royals being impressive enough to get hired is more impressive than just the routine bench coach from a playoff team I don't know how many teams actually win games because of their bench coach, but i do know the bench coach wasn't the reason the Royals suck. There must be something about this guy. The Sox weren't the only team to interview him. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That doesn't mean too much to me. Pretty much every manager has been passed over at one point. Bob Melvin is considered one ot the best in the business. He was fired by the DBacks, and was passed over by several teams before hooking up with the A's. Who is your candidate of choice? I bet I can find instances they were passed over as well. 

In fact, the way this works, a bench coach of the Royals being impressive enough to get hired is more impressive than just the routine bench coach from a playoff team I don't know how many teams actually win games because of their bench coach, but i do know the bench coach wasn't the reason the Royals suck. There must be something about this guy. The Sox weren't the only team to interview him. 

Yeah but isnt he up to 5 times passed over? The Royals twice, the Marlins, the Tigers and I believe the Giants. And the team that knows him inside/out looked elsewhere. Yeah, I'll pass. He might be a good candidate if Jerry is looking for the cheapest manager in baseball.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah but isnt he up to 5 times passed over? The Royals twice, the Marlins, the Tigers and I believe the Giants. And the team that knows him inside/out looked elsewhere. Yeah, I'll pass. He might be a good candidate if Jerry is looking for the cheapest manager in baseball.

People would be very happy if Joe Espada got the job, and how many times as he interviewed? 

They will be euqally happy if Kevin Long gets the job. He didn't get the Phillies job a few months ago when they fired Girardi. Probably wasn't even a candidate, and if he gets the job, it will be for a lower than average wage. And before now, has anyone even considered him manager material?

The baseball "hot prospect" is so different that the football and basketball hot prospect. The football and basketball hot prospect, professionally,  has designed offenses and defeenses that have been successful. There really is none of that in baseball. It's all pretty much the same.

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic