White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

People would be very happy if Joe Espada got the job, and how many times as he interviewed? 

They will be euqally happy if Kevin Long gets the job. He didn't get the Phillies job a few months ago when they fired Girardi. Probably wasn't even a candidate, and if he gets the job, it will be for a lower than average wage. And before now, has anyone even considered him manager material?

The baseball "hot prospect" is so different that the football and basketball hot prospect. The football and basketball hot prospect, professionally,  has designed offenses and defeenses that have been successful. There really is none of that in baseball. It's all pretty much the same.

Long and Espada both have something Grifil doesn't have. Recent dugout experience in the World Series. Remember Hahn keyed on that point when describing his managerial search that was coming up at the time.

Also, Long to my knowledge is new to being a manager candidate. I'm not sure he's ever really been passed over. And Epsada hasn't been passed over by his own team twice.

I don't know jack about Espada, but if he could bring a little of what the Astros have brewing to the Sox, that would be a good thing. Where, I'm not really interested in anything that the Royals have brewing coming here.

Obviously if he gets hired we'll all give the guy a chance and hope he succeeds. It just doesn't seem like a move to excite anyone from the position of most fans.

26 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Long and Espada both have something Grifil doesn't have. Recent dugout experience in the World Series. Remember Hahn keyed on that point when describing his managerial search that was coming up at the time.

Also, Long to my knowledge is new to being a manager candidate. I'm not sure he's ever really been passed over. And Epsada hasn't been passed over by his own team twice.

I don't know jack about Espada, but if he could bring a little of what the Astros have brewing to the Sox, that would be a good thing. Where, I'm not really interested in anything that the Royals have brewing coming here.

Obviously if he gets hired we'll all give the guy a chance and hope he succeeds. It just doesn't seem like a move to excite anyone from the position of most fans.

So being considered and not hired is worse than not even being a candidate at all? If the Phillies would have lost to St. Louis, Long should go from hot candidate to no consideration? I think you have to be a little more open minded than that. I don't expect the White Sox to get this right, but the more they bring in to talk to, the better. As I have stated before, there are some really good coaches on bad teams, and some really bad ones on good teams.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So being considered and not hired is worse than not even being a candidate at all? If the Phillies would have lost to St. Louis, Long should go from hot candidate to no consideration? I think you have to be a little more open minded than that. I don't expect the White Sox to get this right, but the more they bring in to talk to, the better. As I have stated before, there are some really good coaches on bad teams, and some really bad ones on good teams.

I'm not going to penalize a guy for finally emerging as a manager candidate.

And we're just arguing in circles now about Grifol. You seem to want the guy, and I'd prefer someone else.

Have a Happy Halloween!

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

Yeah but isnt he up to 5 times passed over? The Royals twice, the Marlins, the Tigers and I believe the Giants. And the team that knows him inside/out looked elsewhere. Yeah, I'll pass. He might be a good candidate if Jerry is looking for the cheapest manager in baseball.

He probably doesn't interview well and that's critical to getting any job. The in house pass over doesn't concern me as much. "we need outside blood" is a consistent fan wish especially when teams aren't as successful as fans want them to be. 

I'm trying to remember the last time fans here pushed for a candidate from within. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

There's no way Ozzie gets hired. They don't have the roster make-upto play Ozzie ball. Hardly any of them know how to bunt. And they don t have much speed in the lineup.

The White Sox hit 200 homers in 2005. Ozzie ball is a myth. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

9 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Next year will see with new manager how much the numbers improve……they won’t. 

Moncada had a 76 OPS +. Grandal was 64. I would bet that they both improve considerably when you look at how big of outliers 2022 were,  especially when you only have to go back to 21 to see a huge difference. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/3/6/22316467/yankees-future-manager-carlos-mendoza-interim-mlb-baseball-aaron-boone-spring-training

Grinder ... versatile ... paid his dues ... analytical and organized ... native Spanish speaker (Venezuela) ... Yankees Bench Coach ... Cashman gushes about him ... Mendoza seems to check-off a lot of boxes.

Hey, the reality is virtually none of us know a thing about the personalities and leadership skills of any of these guys. The Sox track record doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they're particularly good at evaluating that either -- or even care about such qualities -- but I'm not personally negative about Sox interviewing candidates and these people failing to get the job. The positive spin is that above and beyond the baseball resume, they're looking for leadership qualities that separate that candidate from the pack. Of course, the Sox are gonna Sox, so the less charitable spin is they're looking for someone who is willing to take a below-market deal.

For the moment, Mendoza sure seems like a viable candidate with possible upsides. Like the wealth of quality experience, including bench coach for a baseball lifer in the highest profile organization in baseball, that he has amassed for his young age (42).

• Like 2

Could the Ozzie chatter be a deliberate attempt to soften the blow of hiring a total unknown?  Not that Mendoza is a total unknown, but definitely less known around these parts.  Yankees bench coach is good enough for me if the alternatives are Ozzie, Washington, Grifol, or Getz.  

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I am sure the Ozzie isn't seen as especially likely quote will get conveniently ignored by the large chunk of the fanbase that wants to be outraged at everything the Sox do.  

I’m waiting for an official hire before losing my s%*#. Don’t think it will be him but wouldn’t surprise me at all if it is.

• Like 2

grabbed some popcorn. cant wait for everybody to critique mendoza when they didn't even know he was a human being that existed up until an hour ago. 

my opinion is we should do another 87 pages on this thread about the manager because we know so much about their interviews, what they said in them, how they would approach certain players, etc. etc. We know so much, so shouldn't be hard to fill another 87 pages with well thought out posts on the positives and negatives. 

:) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, he gone. said:

grabbed some popcorn. cant wait for everybody to critique mendoza when they didn't even know he was a human being that existed up until an hour ago. 

my opinion is we should do another 87 pages on this thread about the manager because we know so much about their interviews, what they said in them, how they would approach certain players, etc. etc. We know so much, so shouldn't be hard to fill another 87 pages with well thought out posts on the positives and negatives. 

:) 

That's just silly.

This is officially a disaster now. I have nothing against Mendoza. Seems like a viable candidate and would always hope him the best if he gets the job. Just hard to understand why he comes out at the 11th hour when, as far as I know, was not on anybody's radar.

Just another example of how the Sox do not have a plan for anything and they just dither.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic