White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Who had Mendoza on their bingo card?

I sure didn't.

I looked into some of the playoff org bench coaches. Not against him, but big knock to me is his role as infield instructor. The yankees this year waived the white flag on that infield D, sacrificing offense for kiner-falefa. The defensive talent was poor, but not sure I could say he got the most of it.

10 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

This is officially a disaster now. I have nothing against Mendoza. Seems like a viable candidate and would always hope him the best if he gets the job. Just hard to understand why he comes out at the 11th hour when, as far as I know, was not on anybody's radar.

Just another example of how the Sox do not have a plan for anything and they just dither.

I'm actually glad, shows they are just doing a wide range search people asked for.

The manager position is weird, I don't think good ones gained that much from prior stops as third base or bench coaches. It's more it raises their floor knowing they've interacted and had to lead players to some extent.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

This whole organization operates on randomness. There’s no process in anything we do. Continue to make decisions on the whim.

Orrrrrr.....like.....they're interviewing a ton of different options like they said they wanted to do and most fans said they SHOULD do, and they haven't been updating the media on every step of the process.  To this point, the Sox have done absolutely nothing worth getting upset about.  

They certainly have it within them to f*** this up, but to this point, they haven't.  I continue to not understand how some people think this process has been some sort of disaster.  Sox cannot control what blowhards say on the radio, nor should they directly have to address it.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

This is officially a disaster now. I have nothing against Mendoza. Seems like a viable candidate and would always hope him the best if he gets the job. Just hard to understand why he comes out at the 11th hour when, as far as I know, was not on anybody's radar.

Just another example of how the Sox do not have a plan for anything and they just dither.

We don't know if he was on anyone's radar or not.  He may have interviewed with other teams.  And there's no saying he was an afterthought and interviewed at the last minute.  For all we know, the Sox have been in on him from the get go.

I'm glad they're actually conducting a search and are interviewing plenty of candidates.  Now, if they were to go through this whole process and hire Ozzie, that would be concerning.  Luckily it doesn't sound like he's a likely option.

• Like 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to The White Sox next manager thread; asked to interview Yankees Bench Coach Mendoza

I for one am happy that this is being drawn out with many options. Makes me feel like they are actively doing due-diligence and debating candidates properly. And the hires all the other teams have made are solid...but were not realistic to Sox signing anyways. Long makes the most sense based on needs...and it not being announced yet could simply be the Phillies asking for it to wait until after WS. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Why is it a disaster? The bigger the search the better. Why does it have to be the 3 or 4 guys that everyone can name? You actually have to be an insider to name Mendoza. It exposes all the fakes, and how does anyone here know Mendoza doesn't understand baseball?

• Like 1

I understand it's hard for some people to give the Sox the benefit of the doubt, but my goodness some fans are just insufferable.  Getting on them for casting a wide net(including Ozzie) is just silly. Years past everyone would get on them for NOT running the gauntlet on interviews. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Orrrrrr.....like.....they're interviewing a ton of different options like they said they wanted to do and most fans said they SHOULD do, and they haven't been updating the media on every step of the process.  To this point, the Sox have done absolutely nothing worth getting upset about.  

They certainly have it within them to f*** this up, but to this point, they haven't.  I continue to not understand how some people think this process has been some sort of disaster.  Sox cannot control what blowhards say on the radio, nor should they directly have to address it.  

They have a history of being gigantic f*** ups so we are all expecting the worst.  But you are right that they haven't done anything wrong yet.  Yet because many of the good candidates are off the board now we fans get antsy as out legit concerns start creeping in again.  It is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they have fucked up before, and fucked up really bad for that matter.

Edited by Tnetennba

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

They have a history of being gigantic f*** ups so we are all expecting the worst.  But you are right that they haven't done anything wrong yet.  Yet because many of the good candidates are off the board now we fans get antsy as out legit concerns start creeping in again.  It is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they have fucked before, and fucked up really bad for that matter.

There’s still enough “good” (I think?) candidates out there to not f*** this up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I understand it's hard for some people to give the Sox the benefit of the doubt, but my goodness some fans are just insufferable.  Getting on them for casting a wide net(including Ozzie) is just silly. Years past everyone would get on them for NOT running the gauntlet on interviews. 

I agree with everything you said, except for the Ozzie part. There is no reason, at all, he should have been interviewed or even considered for this job.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There’s still enough “good” (I think?) candidates out there to not f*** this up.

I tend to agree.  Long is still out there, and Mendoza looks like a perfectly fine candidate as well.  I'm not declaring doom and gloom, but I won't be shocked if or when they announce another asinine extremely White Sox hire.

• Like 1

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic