White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Really simply - it was stated bluntly he wouldn't come back, and yet he was allowed to interview for the position? How does the second part make sense with the first, unless the first is no longer true? It doesn't. 

After the last manager, you'll forgive us for watching for those sorts of signs that something really troublesome is brewing...again. 

That's not really responsive to my point, which is that the TLR hire does not serve as any sort of preview for an Ozzie hire.  You have given a reason why it's strange Ozzie was interviewed in this round, which is different. To that point I guess I would say that it's not all that surprising to me that they'd give Ozzie a courtesy interview -- even if they don't plan to hire him -- given his publicly stated desire for the job and his continued connection to the organization.  If he's not hired, there's no inconsistency with JR's prior statements at all.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's not really responsive to my point, which is that the TLR hire does not serve as any sort of preview for an Ozzie hire.  You have given a reason why it's strange Ozzie was interviewed in this round, which is different. To that point I guess I would say that it's not all that surprising to me that they'd give Ozzie a courtesy interview -- even if they don't plan to hire him -- given his publicly stated desire for the job and his continued connection to the organization.  If he's not hired, there's no inconsistency with JR's prior statements at all.

I disagree.  When you have the same people, in the same positions, doing the same jobs, the best possible indicator of future performance is past performance.  We know what the Sox hiring history looks like over a long stable period of time with the front office.  The idea that they could do the same thing they have always done isn't crazy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's unnecessary fear and folks just looking to drown in a cup of water. 

Tony LaRussa is not the main reason the White Sox lost this past season.   Until we get a grip on that fact as Sox fans, we'll just continue to keep being delusional and not pointing the finger where it belongs. 

a) The players 

b) Health 

c) Rich Hahn. 

LaRussa comes in right behind that group.    And the next manager hire will fall in that exact same place in relevance for White Sox success. 

I'd go:

A) Rick Hahn

*an abyss*

B) The players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Honestly, if I was a GM having to deal with LaRussa and I had Ozzie on TV publicly campaigning for his job while the fans were chanting to fire Tony, almost certainly making my job of fixing the team last year harder, I wouldn't have let Ozzie even on the phone with me. He not only burned a bridge in 2011, he tried to throw more burning napalm on the wreckage of that bridge last year. There was zero reason for courtesy when a guy was uncourteous with them last year. 

27 minutes ago, he gone. said:

AMEN. 

What does it hurt to bring in 30 MLB caliber managers to talk. Even if you only hire one, what's wrong with talking to 30 perspectives? One might say something the others hadn't and take you in a total different direction. There's no rush here. The world series hasn't even finished yet ... let's talk to as many people as we want. Ours is the number one job available with a top 10 payroll and young talent. talk away until you find someone that makes you stop and that you NEED to hire that guy. 

A better direction for this thread would be questions you'd ask a perspective manager. I want to hear what you want to have answered as a fan. Mine #1 question to a manager would be center around Abreu and if they'd bring him back and how it'd change how they manage with or without him. 

Question #1: What are you gonna do about Leury Garcia?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why do they have to be locked in to something now. Listen to these guys from all over. Its part of putting the plan together. See what someone else thinks of your players. Jerry Krause used to hire an independent scout to scout the Bulls. In fact, that's how Doug Collins first came to  the Bulls. Get some perspective from not so close. Get opinions from people who aren't invested. I know, ultimately, I will probably be a little disappointed in the hire, but I actually like what is happening now. And, at the very least, they have been subject to some opinions they haven't been subjected to ever.

I understand and I get it. I just don’t like the optics and there is so much more to be concerned about with this team.

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox fans fear a disaster because their last manager search was a literal disaster.  It is a legitimate fear based on their most recent history.  I can't even be mad at people for it, because Tony LaRussa.

I get it; still think the daily freak-outs when legitimately nothing has happened and grasping for every possible worst case scenario as if its a done deal is very par for the course for this fan base.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I get it; still think the daily freak-outs when legitimately nothing has happened and grasping for every possible worst case scenario as if its a done deal is very par for the course for this fan base.  

A handful of posts over the weekend on a website = daily freakouts?

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

From what I know, the White Sox have interviewed lots of people. By design, we don’t know about them. Everyone has heard about Ozzie because of his kids and friends in the media. I don’t think we should believe that he’s some sort of front runner just because it’s public. I’d be really surprised if they hired Ozzie Guillen. 

I just want to see an eyeballs tweet from Ozzie to stir this pot and I'll be happy.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

A handful of posts over the weekend on a website = daily freakouts?

I take it you don't frequent Sox Twitter.  But yes, I think the last dozen or so pages of Sox are hiring Ozzie comments could definitely be presented as freakouts.  Not sure discussing our definitions of a figure of speech is material though.

• Thanks 1

I imagine the Sox interview with Mendoza went something like this….

Hahn: Can you bring with you Aaron Judge on the cheap

Mendoza: Why the need? You have Sheets in RF.

Hahn: You are now a finalist for the manager’s job. We will get back to you before Thanksgiving…

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I take it you don't frequent Sox Twitter.  But yes, I think the last dozen or so pages of Sox are hiring Ozzie comments could definitely be presented as freakouts.  Not sure discussing our definitions of a figure of speech is material though.

No I generally don't, I peek in there but never got into it, and definitely don't want to be on there now. 

Beyond that, it's the offseason, there's zero player movement, the game on Saturday wasn't close and Sunday was an offday in the world series, what more is there to discuss than the only scenario we got on Friday of last week? 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sox twitter was so weirdly pro Ozzie last night I had to unfollow people. 

Its the Mike Ditka phenomena.  People fall in love with the memory of the manager/coach in charge and forget what that man was.  These guys had warts just like what you see now.  

• Like 1

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Its the Mike Ditka phenomena.  People fall in love with the memory of the manager/coach in charge and forget what that man was.  These guys had warts just like what you see now.  

Yeah. I can’t believe how many people blocked out what 2010-on era Ozzie was like.

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So lame. Can’t believe the man that brought us a World Series and is literally the only proven winner with this shitty front office is looked down upon by the masses like this. Ozzie deserves a little more respect. Ever hear of club DNA? The oz has already changed it. What is Kevin long going to do to change our club DNA?

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

So lame. Can’t believe the man that brought us a World Series and is literally the only proven winner with this shitty front office is looked down upon by the masses like this. Ozzie deserves a little more respect. Ever hear of club DNA? The oz has already changed it. What is Kevin long going to do to change our club DNA?

Did you forget like the final 3 or 4 years of Ozzie’s managerial stint here?

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oof.  That's so childish.  That's like people who take pride for blocking pro Biden / pro Trump followers.

It's a managerial hire, for baseball.  Entertainment.   Let's get a grip on life here.     

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Oof.  That's so childish.  That's like people who take pride for blocking pro Biden / pro Trump followers.

It's a managerial hire, for baseball.  Entertainment.   Let's get a grip on life here.     

If it is for "entertainment" why would you want to follow something that isn't entertaining or fun?  The attempt to drag politics into here isn't really relevant by your own standards.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it is for "entertainment" why would you want to follow something that isn't entertaining or fun?  The attempt to drag politics into here isn't really relevant by your own standards.

I'm not talking politics.  I'm stating an example on where it's childish to completely block out someone who doesn't agree with you.   And for a managerial hire, tell me that's not childish?   It's actually laughable. 

17 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

There is another reason as well. Ditka and Ozzie have a few things in common, but the biggest is they led teams to Championships and no one since then has. And no one really has before them, either...at least who are alive. 

Wanting Ozzie back just because of what he did in 2005 is stupid. However, this fan base (same with the Bears) literally don't know what it's like to have teams that win on a consistent basis, and after time...giving consideration to a guy you actually saw have success with your favorite team starts to look pretty good, especially to a casual observer. 

I don't want Ozzie as the next coach. For all the reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread. But I can at least understand at the surface why people would. 

• Like 2

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic