White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Time doesnt permit me to read the last 200 posts, but why was Joe Espada eliminated? 

We have heard no reasons why, only a general agreement that he will not be the next White Sox manager. It could be he eliminated the White Sox, it could be the White Sox eliminated him, we have no way of knowing. 

8 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Honest question: what kind of track record does hitting coaches have as managers?

I don’t know, but Long did manage some in the minors. And I’m sure he’s thinking baseball all the time in the dugout. He’s qualified. I’m rooting for him to be the guy…especially over Ozzie. But I’ll choose to believe Ozzie is already out of the running, 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a whole bunch of details out about Espada if you're interested. He's been a successful coach in a successful organization, worked under both Baker and Hinch. Here's an article from a couple weeks ago on his managerial future, if it's paywalled for you and you want to read it let me know via pm as I have access to that one. Jeremy Pena is a guy who has gotten a lot of work from him.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Houston-Astros-Joe-Espada-manager-future-17492900.php

Remember how last year in the playoffs the Astros seemed to have a guy right where every ground ball went off a White Sox bat, and every ball the Astros hit found a hole? That was Espada.

I have noticed many times where the Sox hit a ball up the middle with a fielder waiting at 2B. The other guys hit one near ss but Tim is over toward 3B. It got a little better last year. 

2 hours ago, Bossanoveralls said:

All you got out of reading that big-ass book is Moby Dick's dick is a dork?

Good one. Not the only thing, but the most useful fun fact for SoxTalk and other gatherings. 

Thematically, of course, JR might as well be the opposite of Ahab and his monomaniacal quest for his whale. I’m not a believer that Jerry actively seeks out second-place as the sweet spot for fan engagement and profitability, but there’s not a shred of evidence that our Captain doesn’t sleep well at night because he’s obsessed with everything humanly possible to harpoon a World Series trophy. 

Better? 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We have heard no reasons why, only a general agreement that he will not be the next White Sox manager. It could be he eliminated the White Sox, it could be the White Sox eliminated him, we have no way of knowing. 

They found out about his library fines. 

58 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Home runs are allowed in Ozzie ball.

When it was good from 2004-2006, but then Ozzie started buying into his own mythos and put us through the nightmare that was the Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones rotating DH nightmare instead of bringing back Thome, who hit that fucking monster shot off of Thornton.

In case anyone needs me to drop a source

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told veteran slugger Jim Thome he won’t be asked to rejoin the team as a designated hitter.

Thome, who played three-plus seasons with the White Sox before he was traded to the Dodgers on Aug. 31, was interested in returning to Chicago.

General manager Ken Williams gave Guillen the final call on the move, and Guillen decided he couldn’t give Thome enough at-bats to justify bringing him back.

“I play him once a week or twice a week. I don’t think it was fair for him,” Guillen said Monday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yet, the White Sox weren't the only team that passed. He puts people in defensive position....because he reads the report which tells them where to play.

Knowing how to read things and then implement them is actually very good.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a whole bunch of details out about Espada if you're interested. He's been a successful coach in a successful organization, worked under both Baker and Hinch. Here's an article from a couple weeks ago on his managerial future, if it's paywalled for you and you want to read it let me know via pm as I have access to that one. Jeremy Pena is a guy who has gotten a lot of work from him.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Houston-Astros-Joe-Espada-manager-future-17492900.php

Remember how last year in the playoffs the Astros seemed to have a guy right where every ground ball went off a White Sox bat, and every ball the Astros hit found a hole? That was Espada.

I first heard of Joe Espada in October 2019 after listening to an interview of Theo Epstein on the Score. David Ross was hired, but Theo said Espada impressed him and Jed so much, they had a really difficult decision. Said they really learned a lot during their two interviews with him, both about the approach of top organizations like the Astros, and they were also very impressed with him as a person / candidate.

Liked what I saw and read about Espada since then, which is why he was my top option pre and post Tony.

Regardless of who is hired, I’m glad the Sox have finally taken the time to conduct their first external interview process for a top position since Ozzie vs. Cito nearly two decades ago. Hopefully Hahn and Jerry have been exposed to the way successful people and organizations operate and perhaps begin to make some long overdue changes internally.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quin said:

When it was good from 2004-2006, but then Ozzie started buying into his own mythos and put us through the nightmare that was the Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones rotating DH nightmare instead of bringing back Thome, who hit that fucking monster shot off of Thornton.

In case anyone needs me to drop a source

Jones had an 827 ops with the Sox.

Kotsay and Erstad, not only much.

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Heads22 pinned this topic