2023 Trade Targets

hi8is

Alright you more knowledgeable people, you… who’s got the following pieces that we could possibly trade.

Positions to get stronger at

- Second Base
- Right Field
- Left Field
- Starting Pitcher
- Relief Pitchers

Players of ours who may be of interest 

- Andrew Vaughn
- Tim Anderson
- Eloy
- Gavin Sheets
- Colson Montgomery
- Garett Crochet

I think we plug Abreu back in at first and trade Vaughn for a starting pitcher. Colas in left field moving Pollock to his natural position in right field.

My preference would be playing Vaughn at first, Colas in left field, Judge in right, Rodon heading the rotation, and blah blah blah but we’re not the Dodgers. 

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

Alright you more knowledgeable people, you… who’s got the following pieces that we could possibly trade.

- Second Base
- Right Field
- Left Field
- Starting Pitcher
- Relief Pitchers

- Andrew Vaughn
- Tim Anderson
- Eloy
- Gavin Sheets
- Colson Montgomery
- Garett Crochet

I think we plug Abreu back in at first and trade Vaughn for a starting pitcher. Colas in left field moving Pollock to his natural position in right field.

My preference would be playing Vaughn at first, Colas in left field, Judge in right, Rodon heading the rotation, and blah blah blah but we’re not the Dodgers. 

no no no no no and no

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't expect much.  Hahn can't blame the manager then turn around and over-haul his F'd up roster.  He might sign or trade for a dead cat bounce guy as insurance for Colas.  Pederson or Verdugo fit the bill.  Other than that it will be a couple different bullpen arms and utility players and go get em boys!

Laureano is a dead cat.  Real dead.  

I’m not expecting an overhaul, but something has to give between Eloy, AV, & Abreu.  They need a real RF and a legit LH power bat not named Gavin Sheets.  A 5th starter reclamation project to replace Cueto I think would be likely.  2B feels like the inevitable return of Harrison who will suck ass for 75% of the season again.  Another uninspired winter with some window dressing and a new manager at the helm.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I like to think it was either sarcasm or accidentally switched LF and RF to say "Pollock in LF and Colas in RF."

That’s what I was hoping.

says a lot about a guy (or the manager) when a veteran OFer can’t play RF for a “contender,” so they trot out Sheets and Vaughn in his place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m not expecting an overhaul, but something has to give between Eloy, AV, & Abreu.  They need a real RF and a legit LH power bat not named Gavin Sheets.  A 5th starter reclamation project to replace Cueto I think would be likely.  2B feels like the inevitable return of Harrison who will suck ass for 75% of the season again.  Another uninspired winter with some window dressing and a new manager at the helm.  

You know they're going with Davis Martin and half assing it again for depth...see VV type at best.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

- Second Base
- Right Field
- Left Field
- Starting Pitcher
- Relief Pitchers

- Andrew Vaughn
- Tim Anderson
- Eloy
- Gavin Sheets
- Colson Montgomery
- Garett Crochet

FWIW, Pollock's natural position is definitely not RF.  Its probably CF, but he's a much better (and more comfortable) LF than RF.  

Just sign Nimmo.  That's the easy answer.

Then you have the option to resign Abreu, or trade AV.  I'd let Abreu walk and give 1B to AV, personally.

But if you could do something like AV + Yolbert + Dalquist (may need to part with 1 of Sosa/Ramos/Jrod instead of Yolbert realistically) for Jazz, I could be swayed back to that  direction if you don't overpay Abreu.  

Anderson SS, Nimmo RF, Robert CF, Eloy DH, Abreu 1B, Moncada 3B, Colas LF, Yaz C, Jazz 2B is pretty sexy, if you ask me.  That lineup balance makes me pretty excited. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just sign Nimmo.  That's the easy answer.

Then you have the option to resign Abreu, or trade AV.  I'd let Abreu walk and give 1B to AV, personally.

But if you could do something like AV + Yolbert + Dalquist (may need to part with 1 of Sosa/Ramos/Jrod instead of Yolbert realistically) for Jazz, I could be swayed back to that  direction if you don't overpay Abreu.  

Anderson SS, Nimmo RF, Robert CF, Eloy DH, Abreu 1B, Moncada 3B, Yaz C, Jazz 2B is pretty sexy, if you ask me.  That lineup balance makes me pretty excited. 

Problem with the retain Abreu, sign Nimmo and trade AV scenario is once you add a stopgap 5th SP, you're adding probably at least $38-45M to payroll with Nimmo ~$18-20M, Abreu ~$12-15m, SP $8-12M.  That means Sox would be operating with payroll around $210-215m, which is $20M higher than this season.  I find that unlikely. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

I've said this in a couple spots, but I don't think that this starting rotation is good enough to compete right now - they weren't that great this year and even then they had a massive overperformance by Cueto that saved them from being really quite bad. On paper next year Davis Martin replaces Cueto and ??? replaces Martin as the 6th starter...and as usual "no one could have predicted they wouldn't stay healthy" is not an acceptable answer. So let's at least look at starting pitching here as a possible route where they could talk about trades. 

Therefore, looking at guys who are cost-controlled for roughly 1-2 years here as trade targets, on teams that either might move pitchers or who aren't currently competitive (leaving the Dodgers, Braves, Astros off the list for obvious reasons). Guys with 3 arb years remaining are probably going to cost more in terms of players than the White Sox can afford.

Milwaukee - Burnes, Woodruff - each has 2 years of control remaining. 

Arizona - Merrill Kelly - good this year, 2 years of control remaining.

Miami - Pablo Lopez, 2 years of control remaining. Alcantara - might be about to win the Cy Young?

Cleveland - Bieber, doubt that's worth talking about.

Some back of the rotation options - Kyle Freeland (Colorado), Brad Keller (KCR, just moved to the bullpen), Erick Fedde (Was, ERA >5). Maybe the Yankees decide to dump Montas? Maybe the Twins move someone, but again are they going to help us?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Problem with the retain Abreu, sign Nimmo and trade AV scenario is once you add a stopgap 5th SP, you're adding probably at least $38-45M to payroll with Nimmo ~$18-20M, Abreu ~$12-15m, SP $8-12M.  That means Sox would be operating with payroll around $210-215m, which is $20M higher than this season.  I find that unlikely. 

That is also basically the Luxury tax line, $215 million - counting the included benefits and the weird contract shenanigans. 

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

no no no no no and no

It was a typo - meant to say Colas in right and Pollock in left at his natural position. Ideally it would be great if he became a 4th outfielder platoon side type but I don’t think this organization:

A.) Will bring up Colas yet
B.) Will sign or trade for a need ( Since we didn’t do it for the last two fucking deadlines as well as for at least the last offseason. )

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That is also basically the Luxury tax line, $215 million - counting the included benefits and the weird contract shenanigans. 

Right, which is just another reason why resigning Abreu makes very little sense.  

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Maybe it would be worth trying to trade for Zach Plesac, who the Guardians might be fine dealing because of his injuries and antics.

Not the worst suggestion ever, he's controlled, fills a need, and wouldn't cost a ton. But...the White Sox already seem to have some attitude and locker room issues. Is it smart to acquire another one and then dump it onto a new coach? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not the worst suggestion ever, he's controlled, fills a need, and wouldn't cost a ton. But...the White Sox already seem to have some attitude and locker room issues. Is it smart to acquire another one and then dump it onto a new coach? 

Depends on the coach.

Depending on who the coach is, we could be in for some great entertainment as a consolation prize for a sucky team.