2022 Wildcard Round

flavum

31 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think any team would have actually done this, but starting Ray in this series over George Kirby, given how RH heavy the Jays are, was probably a mistake.

The strategy so far for some teams is to put a medium quality guy in game 2 if you have already won game 1. That way maybe your #3 starter steals a win in game two and ends the series, but if not then you have a strong matchup for game 3 still.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

The strategy so far for some teams is to put a medium quality guy in game 2 if you have already won game 1. That way maybe your #3 starter steals a win in game two and ends the series, but if not then you have a strong matchup for game 3 still.

I think that's why Gilbert is starting Game 3 rather than today. He's pretty clearly Seattle's #2 starter. Who's better between Kirby & Ray is debatable, so I don't think there's any team that would opt for a rookie starter over their 23M marque FA signing, reigning AL CY award winner, even if it's something that would have been strategically sound to do.

50 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think any team would have actually done this, but starting Ray in this series over George Kirby, given how RH heavy the Jays are, was probably a mistake.

Hernandez is pretty much the only guy in their lineup that mashes lefty pitching. Vlad, Bo, and Springer have reverse splits. Chapman and Kirk are more of less split neutral. It just so happened that the one guy who really mashes lefties hurt Ray today. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Hernandez is pretty much the only guy in their lineup that mashes lefty pitching. Vlad, Bo, and Springer have reverse splits. Chapman and Kirk are more of less split neutral. It just so happened that the one guy who really mashes lefties hurt Ray today. 

Toronto leads baseball in wRC+ vs lefties over the last 2 years, they were tied for 6th best this year. Even if the splits are essentially even, given the construction of their lineup, I think it's pretty obvious you'd rather start a righty against them than a lefty, all else being equal.

Edited by maxjusttyped

57 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm betting the Yankees have a tougher time than they usually do with the Twinkies.

The Twins just roll over for the Yankees no matter what. The players all change yet the same mental block is there. It's so weird. 

I think the Rays were just bad and cold. Yandy and Randy were their only real threats offensively. None of those guys really scare you as they aren't huge power threats. Wander was supposed to be the guy for them but he was mostly hurt this year. The Yankees at least have 5 or 6 guys that will make you respect their ability to hit the ball out of the park. It'll be interesting to see how they do against Bieber since they've hit him well historically. 

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think that's why Gilbert is starting Game 3 rather than today. He's pretty clearly Seattle's #2 starter. Who's better between Kirby & Ray is debatable, so I don't think there's any team that would opt for a rookie starter over their 23M marque FA signing, reigning AL CY award winner, even if it's something that would have been strategically sound to do.

Except Kirby has been much better down the stretch after hitting a wall in the middle of the season.