2022 Wildcard Round

flavum

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

So what exactly is different about deGrom this year? The guy is still throwing 100+. The location doesn't look terrible. Yet guys had no chance against him last year but he actually looks hittable this year. 

I don’t think he can rip those breaking balls anymore because his arm will blow up again.  

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think he can rip those breaking balls anymore because his arm will blow up again.  

Only 26% sliders this game, although he threw his slider 6% more this year than he did last year. 

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Highest slider usage and velo of his career. He still had a 1.54 xFIP this year. Sometimes variance is the answer even if it's not very satisfying.

Here’s the last 2 years of pitch location maps, first photo is 2022 and second is 2021. The slider is definitely closer to the zone in ‘22.

FA4413F7-3BB1-4B27-A74F-ED8E50BB5FC7.jpeg

6D31B522-54AC-476F-AE48-45519904EB2E.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

But of course... maybe he can go 3? Diaz went 2 & 2/3 once in 2016 but hasn't gone beyond 2 innings since.

I think they want him to get the top and middle of the order out and have Ottavino pitch to the bottom of the order. Not the worst idea but if it blows up people are all gonna ask why they didn't save Diaz for the 9th.