2022 Wildcard Round

flavum

16 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Just from the way the media has been talking, Goldschmidt & Arenado finishing 1 & 2 for MVP seems inevitable, but I'm not sure why either player was more deserving than Manny Machado.

I don't think any of them are wrong answers. Goldschmidt was the best hitter in the NL. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think any of them are wrong answers. Goldschmidt was the best hitter in the NL. 

There's a group of 5 or 6 players you can make credible arguments for.

honestly, the reason I specifically cited Machado is bc he has a real case and I have a 33/1 ticket on him to win it, lol.

7 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Cleveland has officially won more playoff series than the White Sox have in our WS “window”…..amazing 

Yep and they had 17 rookies making their 1st MLB appearances this year. This was how our rebuild was supposed to go. I've been begging for Hahn to trade for more young guys in the last 2 years. I listed young guys in the Kimbrel thread after I got over Segura and specifically LHB. Did the same thing at the trade deadlines and off seasons in between wanting Happ and Wendle. Went over the Dodgers guys they were likely to trade and mentioned McKinstry and Outman. Scoured the D'backs young LH OF's.

But nope Hahn kept on trading the young for the old and letting Charlotte and the rest of the system become a barren wasteland.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep and they had 17 rookies making their 1st MLB appearances this year. This was how our rebuild was supposed to go. I've been begging for Hahn to trade for more young guys in the last 2 years. I listed young guys in the Kimbrel thread after I got over Segura and specifically LHB. Did the same thing at the trade deadlines and off seasons in between wanting Happ and Wendle. Went over the Dodgers guys they were likely to trade and mentioned McKinstry and Outman. Scoured the D'backs young LH OF's.

But nope Hahn kept on trading the young for the old and letting Charlotte and the rest of the system become a barren wasteland.

To be fair, that’s because Craig Kimbrel was bad and could only bring back something expensive and not very good.

15 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea that’s not true bud 

8163FCB8-5845-4ACE-8E2B-79E6A96EE263.png

4BF60A44-BFC3-44E3-A7E0-1B66D06143C4.jpeg

15 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea that’s not true bud 

8163FCB8-5845-4ACE-8E2B-79E6A96EE263.png

4BF60A44-BFC3-44E3-A7E0-1B66D06143C4.jpeg

Gilbert gave up 20 runs in 26 2/3rd’s IP in August.

It was at that point that Kirby passed him in the pecking order.

None of those are playoff teams other than a very inconsistent Padres’ offense.

Whereas the Kirby outing against the hottest team in the majors in ATL stands apart…and his last time out the team had already clinched and he was basically just getting work in.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Gilbert gave up 20 runs in 26 2/3rd’s IP in August.

It was at that point that Kirby passed him in the pecking order.

None of those are playoff teams other than a very inconsistent Padres’ offense.

Whereas the Kirby outing against the hottest team in the majors in ATL stands apart…and his last time out the team had already clinched and he was basically just getting work in.

Oh I see you are changing the qualifications of “down the stretch” from September, which is “down the stretch”, to August, which makes your point sort of correct but only if we acknowledge that august is “down the stretch” and not September, where Gilbert was clearly the better pitcher 

19 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Remember when Nightengale tweeted the Sox were interested in an "ace" like Robbie Ray & also Marcus Semien? Or supposed insiders claimed the Sox wanted Scherzer. That was the highlight of our off-season.

All teams are interested in free agents.  We tend to think they are cheap when they pass on them.  Pitching is really expensive.  Every team is looking for a starting pitcher.  Sox on the other hand like those expensive middle relievers.     

18 hours ago, chw42 said:

The Twins just roll over for the Yankees no matter what. The players all change yet the same mental block is there. It's so weird. 

I think the Rays were just bad and cold. Yandy and Randy were their only real threats offensively. None of those guys really scare you as they aren't huge power threats. Wander was supposed to be the guy for them but he was mostly hurt this year. The Yankees at least have 5 or 6 guys that will make you respect their ability to hit the ball out of the park. It'll be interesting to see how they do against Bieber since they've hit him well historically. 

Reminds me too much of the Sox.   There's clutch and unclutch. The Sox seem to have more of the latter.

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think teams with outstanding farm systems don't trade their best prospects despite being a large market.  They could probably trade ones that a not so good organization gets easily duped like the Sox.

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

To be fair, that’s because Craig Kimbrel was bad and could only bring back something expensive and not very good.

To be fair how do you know they even attempted to get a younger player? Maybe Hahn thought Pollock was better than any young player(s) he could get.

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

To be fair how do you know they even attempted to get a younger player? Maybe Hahn thought Pollock was better than any young player(s) he could get.

I think we all saw how little demand there was for Kimbrel last offseason.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think we all saw how little demand there was for Kimbrel last offseason.

I don't think we know what we saw. We're not privy to any offers Hahn got or why it took so long. Maybe he had 4 or 5 teams he was talking to and went with what he thought was the best deal which usually for him is an old guy.