RIP 2022 White Sox

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I just hope that the bad taste of this season is gone by the time the Winter Meetings come around. I want to feel that optimism again. I hope they hire a manager that makes us all feel good about where the organization is going. 

I share your hopium and optimism.

27 minutes ago, The Beast said:

This thread is appropriate, but what games stand out as bad losses this year?

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

- The extra inning loss in Detroit

First game of the year against Cleveland. Entire infield forgot how to play defense, 4 errors, should have been more, immediately turned into 8 game losing streak.

”He has two strikes, Tony!”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Let us all be stricken with baseball amnesia and be freed from the memory of this wretched season.  Good goddamn riddance. 

I've got 73 games on video going back to 1981. I've got two dozen games on audio going back to 1959 and I've got 12 CD's with game highlights, interviews, Sox commercials et al going back to 1953.

At least I've got something to take my mind off this terrible season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

- The extra inning loss in 

The Engel dropped foul ball game in Baltimore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, almagest said:

This is a franchise well-versed in mediocrity and disappointment, yet I can't think of a Sox team more disappointing than this one, and I've been watching since 1991.

You were to young then to remember 1968, 1973 or 1984

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

Giolito dominating the Tigers, getting injured. Then Pollock catching the ball to end the game, but wait! It bounces out of his glove ... he caught it! Sox win! Except ... Javy Baez calls for a replay and it ... bounced off the wall.

White Sox lose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I put my kid to bed the other night, I looked at the Anderson and Moncada fatheads on his wall, the "Southside" flag he has hung up, and all the other Sox memorabilia he has collected and just got so angry.  He's a fan because of me, just as I'm a fan because of my dad.  We live in just about the heaviest Cubs neighborhood imaginable (even live across the street from a Cubs WS hero from 2016) and yet he and my other sons have remained die-hard Sox fans throughout their childhoods.  They suffered through a rebuild that chewed up their formative years while their friends' team celebrated, I suspect largely out of loyalty to their dad.  For years they have fended off their Cub fan friends by parroting what they heard from me:  just wait 'til 2021/2022/2023, that's our time.  Just wait. 

We went to 20 games in what should have been a season of joy, all the while I could tell they were looking at me wondering "so, when's this gonna happen? I told everybody this was going to happen, dad, so what's going on?"  The answer, of course, was that it was not going to happen at all, and I'm not sure it ever will.  Honestly, I feel guilty for believing in this franchise and worse for inflicting my kids with this Sox fan disease.  Screw this team for making that happen.  Screw them especially because they had legitimate success in their grasp and arrogantly pissed it away because of a dysfunctional front office beholden to a capricious, dictatorial owner.

I know it's just sports.  I have plenty of thoughts on what can be done to (hopefully) turn this around. But for now I'm just stewing in anger. That is all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

Engel's error against Baltimore with 2 out in the 9th, only to lose the game was the worst loss for me, mainly because it was so late in the season and led to another losing streak.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Beast said:

- The Naylor HR game

- The Diamondbacks sweep 

To me, the Naylor HR game.

2-for-1 special - deflated the s%*# out of us, and inflated the hell out of Cleveland.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As I put my kid to bed the other night, I looked at the Anderson and Moncada fatheads on his wall, the "Southside" flag he has hung up, and all the other Sox memorabilia he has collected and just got so angry.  He's a fan because of me, just as I'm a fan because of my dad.  We live in just about the heaviest Cubs neighborhood imaginable (even live across the street from a Cubs WS hero from 2016) and yet he and my other sons have remained die-hard Sox fans throughout their childhoods.  They suffered through a rebuild that chewed up their formative years while their friends' team celebrated, I suspect largely out of loyalty to their dad.  For years they have fended off their Cub fan friends by parroting what they heard from me:  just wait 'til 2021/2022/2023, that's our time.  Just wait. 

We went to 20 games in what should have been a season of joy, all the while I could tell they were looking at me wondering "so, when's this gonna happen? I told everybody this was going to happen, dad, so what's going on?"  The answer, of course, was that it was not going to happen at all, and I'm not sure it ever will.  Honestly, I feel guilty for believing in this franchise and worse for inflicting my kids with this Sox fan disease.  Screw this team for making that happen.  Screw them especially because they had legitimate success in their grasp and arrogantly pissed it away because of a dysfunctional front office beholden to a capricious, dictatorial owner.

I know it's just sports.  I have plenty of thoughts on what can be done to (hopefully) turn this around. But for now I'm just stewing in anger. That is all.

Plot twist - your kid is 27.

• Like 1