The Decade of Hahn - By the Numbers

South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Literally every single world series winner you can write that about. Stephen Strasburg shredded everything about his body right after the 2019 world series, he has pitched 31.1 innings since winning WS MVP. Had that injury occurred in 2019, boom Nationals never win a title. Where are the Braves last year if McCullers doesn't get hurt? The Dodgers starters in the series against Atlanta were Joe Kelly (Yes that one), Urias, Knebel, Scherzer, and Buehler twice. Note - no Kershaw, no May, no Bauer for reasons. The Braves got awfully lucky in their opponents pitching staffs.

The 2005 White Sox were really well put together. But they were not the only really well put together White Sox team of that decade. The next year the team won what, 91 games? The team had 3 playoff appearances in 9 seasons, barely missed a 4th. Out of 9 seasons from 2000-2008, they finished under .500 once and .500 once - that's over .500 7 times in 9 years. With the expanded playoffs now, that's a setup that would have a team in the playoffs 5 or 6 times. A team having everything come together one season when they're quite good for a decade is always somewhat lucky, but it's also luck that the team made. Unlike the current GM, they even seemed to learn from their mistakes - '05 they went with a team that was deeper and stronger on defense than the previous years, and they fixed the 5th/6th starter spots that were costing them in previous years. 

For the White Sox to match that performance, they have to be over .500 in 5 of the next 6 years, and if they did that, I think there's a good chance there's a deep playoff run in there. That was basically the rebuild strategy, in fact - have a core that could still be contributing in 2026, 2027, so that the team has a number of chances at making the playoffs and going on a run, since things become quite random at the end of the season. And there would be compliments towards the General Manager for sustaining success for that long.

Do you think the White Sox were a once in a lifetime team like the 85 bears, always in the conversation of best ever, or a very, very good team that had everything go their way and happened to win a World Series?

I think what I’m saying is that the White Sox assembled a very good roster and it all hit - but in an insanely great way. More than usual. Contreras was literally automatically unbeatable for 12 months. It was Mike Tyson dominant. Freakish.

3 hours ago, JoshPR said:

That's the thing. A lot of schulers record is because of what himes built. Schuler was terrible

Or without the Ozzie/Freddy Garcia connection.

Without Gaffe-anino.

Without Clutch Crede.

Without Blum. 

Without Uribe pulling plays out of his ass that eclipsed Jeter were he an overhyped Yankee.

Used three closers in one year...starting with Gong Takatsu and the Frisbee.

Got crazy good numbers from Cotts and Politte.

The only loss was Byrd vs. Contreras when The Count/El Gran Titan de Bronze was the best pitcher on the planet.

Edited by caulfield12

58 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Do you think the White Sox were a once in a lifetime team like the 85 bears, always in the conversation of best ever, or a very, very good team that had everything go their way and happened to win a World Series?

I think what I’m saying is that the White Sox assembled a very good roster and it all hit - but in an insanely great way. More than usual. Contreras was literally automatically unbeatable for 12 months. It was Mike Tyson dominant. Freakish.

No they weren’t a once in a lifetime team. They won like 91 games the year after that. That’s the point! If a GM does his job, that becomes possible.

9 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Too bad Himes didn’t have Hahn’s leash.  He acquired Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Fernandez, Álvarez, Johnson, Bere.  That team probably would have won the World Series in 1994 if it weren’t for the their owner sabotaging the season.

This is a great post, Floyd.

Jerry firing Himes chaps my ass to this very day. It is the only thing over which I would personally bean the alte kaker with my Ballpark frank.

I will leave it to the universe beaning him with their Ballpark franks for his myriad other transgressions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1