Parking Scams At Guaranteed Rate

coldwatersox

There have been news reports addressing the presence of scam artists operating outside and off White Sox property approaching cars having exited from the Dan Ryan on the way to stadium parking lots. The scammers are wearing yellow vests which add an appearance of authenticity to their activities, the purpose of which is to collect cash "tolls" ($40) in window exchanges of money paid for a bogus parking pass or permit. To be on the receiving end of this experience is both frightful and intimidating. You Tube videos can be accessed which capture this illegal activity, often occurring in plain sight of passive uniformed police officers.

Why is this hoodlum activity allowed to take place in the sunlight of  an afternoon game at Guaranteed Rate? The White Sox avoid taking responsibility for fear of liability, claiming the activity is occurring outside the boundaries of White Sox property and therefore beyond its control and jurisdiction. But, obviously, the White Sox have a financial interest in eliminating this problem by arranging for safe and unimpeded travel of their fans to and from the exit/entry service lanes adjacent to the Dan Ryan used for access to and from the stadium. 

Have you, your friends, or family members experienced this problem situation? Suggested solutions?

It is crazy how unhelpful the traffic mgmt cops are. One particularly tough game last year I got off at 90/94 and was going to the cash lots, suddenly they kept sending us south on Wentworth and not letting us turn on Pershing. I thought they were doing this in a thoughtful way and would swing us back around down like Princeton.

Nope. Turns out they got annoyed that Pershing was so backed up at the light they “solved” it by just forcing the game traffic south. It was so dumb. Obviously it’s very hard to turn on a non light on Pershing, ended up grabbing a side street and carrying my son for ages. Missed 3 innings.

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

There have been news reports addressing the presence of scam artists operating outside and off White Sox property approaching cars having exited from the Dan Ryan on the way to stadium parking lots. The scammers are wearing yellow vests which add an appearance of authenticity to their activities, the purpose of which is to collect cash "tolls" ($40) in window exchanges of money paid for a bogus parking pass or permit. To be on the receiving end of this experience is both frightful and intimidating. You Tube videos can be accessed which capture this illegal activity, often occurring in plain sight of passive uniformed police officers.

Why is this hoodlum activity allowed to take place in the sunlight of  an afternoon game at Guaranteed Rate? The White Sox avoid taking responsibility for fear of liability, claiming the activity is occurring outside the boundaries of White Sox property and therefore beyond its control and jurisdiction. But, obviously, the White Sox have a financial interest in eliminating this problem by arranging for safe and unimpeded travel of their fans to and from the exit/entry service lanes adjacent to the Dan Ryan used for access to and from the stadium. 

Have you, your friends, or family members experienced this problem situation? Suggested solutions?

They showed this on the news over a year ago. They were doing it right in front of cops and cops did nothing.  If you drive, White Sox parking is cashless.

The 35th Red Hots wannabe mob got me on Opening Day.

Lot G was full and I knew it would take forever to get past the ballpark and back around so they waved me in for $50.  I pull in and the guy tells me that is his last easy out spot so it is $100.  I said no problem I'll be on my way.  No worries, business is business but they immediately park a car behind me so the only way out is across the sidewalk for my "easy out".  I roll out onto the sidewalk hoping someone will let me back onto 35th, when a cop walks up just yelling, he was not interested in hearing even one word of my story.  I back up and it was time to negotiate.  

I think I had Southside Tony maybe convinced but all I had was a $100 bill so after that development there was going to be no change.  He literally said "You shouldn't have parked here" while standing next to a sign that says "Park Here".  

After the game the car directly kitty corner to me had a window bashed out, glass everywhere.  

So, after a decade of rolling past the small private lots, wondering if they are worth the extra couple bucks.... that answer is a firm no.  (No disrespect intended towards the church lot).  

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

The 35th Red Hots wannabe mob got me on Opening Day.

Lot G was full and I knew it would take forever to get past the ballpark and back around so they waved me in for $50.  I pull in and the guy tells me that is his last easy out spot so it is $100.  I said no problem I'll be on my way.  No worries, business is business but they immediately park a car behind me so the only way out is across the sidewalk for my "easy out".  I roll out onto the sidewalk hoping someone will let me back onto 35th, when a cop walks up just yelling, he was not interested in hearing even one word of my story.  I back up and it was time to negotiate.  

I think I had Southside Tony maybe convinced but all I had was a $100 bill so after that development there was going to be no change.  He literally said "You shouldn't have parked here" while standing next to a sign that says "Park Here".  

After the game the car directly kitty corner to me had a window bashed out, glass everywhere.  

So, after a decade of rolling past the small private lots, wondering if they are worth the extra couple bucks.... that answer is a firm no.  (No disrespect intended towards the church lot).  

Sometimes with certain street parking the local kids would offer to guard your car for a fee. Not recommended to decline the offer.

4 hours ago, pcq said:

Sometimes with certain street parking the local kids would offer to guard your car for a fee. Not recommended to decline the offer.

I know someone who parked their car on the street not too far from the United Center and declined such an offer.  Turned out to be a mistake.