Guaranteed Rate concession employees picket stadium

Balta1701

“[It was] a shame to hear from a woman on the picket line that workers at Sox Park are getting the worst health care compared to the other stadiums.” said Ambria Taylor, a candidate for Alderman in the 11th Ward who attended Tuesday’s action. The 11th Ward includes the entirety of Guaranteed Rate Field and its hundreds of thousands of square feet in parking lots — the proceeds from which are kept entirely by the White Sox. “I was disappointed and honestly, embarrassed even ... it’s clear that the people who make [the ballpark] work every day aren’t getting what they need. We should take that personally.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Are concession and stadium workers expecting working at the stadium to be a full time job? Most if not all work 81 days a year for 5-8 hours a day, I am not sure anyone going into that kind of job would expect it to sustain them financially. Health care on the other hand should be better 

From speaking to a few of the employees in the past, some pull double duty working for both the Cubs/Sox or other event type work during the summer and shifting over to the UC during the winter months depending on the company they're employed by. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Are concession and stadium workers expecting working at the stadium to be a full time job? Most if not all work 81 days a year for 5-8 hours a day, I am not sure anyone going into that kind of job would expect it to sustain them financially. Health care on the other hand should be better 

Yeah I doubt any of these folks really demand a full years salary for that, but if they work 6 months a year in 3 game batches, there needs to be a way for them to afford health care for that part of the year and to earn enough to cover half the year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Sox have the worst living conditions for minor leaguers

Sox have the worst pay and benefits for stadium workers

I'm sensing a pattern, and it's embarrassing.

Just to be fair the Sox have no direct say according to the story I read, in actual salary/benefits/ That's up to the concession company and the Sox have no say in that.

However, the Sox do have a say in who gets the stadium contract and they can always go to a company that treats its employees better.

On 10/8/2022 at 1:12 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

Just to be fair the Sox have no direct say according to the story I read, in actual salary/benefits/ That's up to the concession company and the Sox have no say in that.

However, the Sox do have a say in who gets the stadium contract and they can always go to a company that treats its employees better.

This is how I understood it.  The Sox contract the company, and the company does the hiring and paying.

Does anyone know what they are actually making and how many hours they work on average during the season? I know Chicago is different than NC, but here most employees in these roles are considered part time which even if paying the current “fair” wage, would not get what the quoted employees appear to want.

I think it is certainly a fair conversation to say what is the value to both the team and fans to have employees working these roles. I just would like to see what the average current wage/ benefits vs. what are they asking for. The article lays out the concern for people, but does not do a good job of giving the full story for people to consider. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2022-10-12/concession-workers-dodger-stadium-pay-raise

Three months after threatening to strike the All-Star Game, Dodger Stadium concession workers ratified a contract that provides what a union official called “truly livable wages” for the men and women who serve food, tend bar and wash dishes at the ballpark.

The union members had been working under an expired contract. With a minimum guaranteed income from tips now added to wages, examples for hourly pay raises from 2020 to 2024 include $18.14 to $30.94 for concession stand employees, $19.76 to $30.96 for stadium club host, $25.50 to $34.70 for pastry chef, and $19.96 to $32.66 for beer tapper, according to a contract summary provided by the union.

Compass/Levy also agreed to reduce the use of temporary employees by 80% by the time the contract ends on Jan. 31, 2025, according to the summary.