Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If the White Sox say goodbye to Abreu and keep Rick Hahn, they deserve zero fan support.

Well, Hahn isn't leaving. As for Abreu, if they kept all three of Eloy, Vaughn and Abreu, I'd be more upset than if they let Abreu go, though there had better be a significant acquisition of at least one lefty 2B/OF bat in any case or I'm unlikely to buy tickets next year.

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It's funny you brought this up. I spoke with a member of the mainstream media who has been covering Chicago's baseball teams for years. They told me Hahn is furious that the Cubs basically have been laughing at him for getting Eloy and supposedly they are privately telling other teams the same thing. The thinking is like you said, the Cubs knew his limitations and sold him off to whomever would take him.

To me his issue is he has to lose weight and gain flexibility. Just look at videos of him from 2020, he's gotten huge muscle-wise.

The Cubs are laughing at someone ELSE because of the Quintana deal?  That is absolutely hysterical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

I think they should keep both eloy and vaughn. 

Abreu still was good and had a career high walk rate but power was at a career low and at some point he will decline. 

He might have one good year left but it could also go downhill fast like with konerko in his last year. One year abreu might have a bad April like he always does but unlike the other years never turn it around.

Eloy of course is a risk but his value is at an all time low. If you want to trade him it would need to be after at least a somewhat healthy season (130 games) or you don't get enough. 

And vaughn has been a good hitter despite some flaws and might still get better if he lowers his chase rates and pulls the ball more. 

Btw does the qualifying offer still exist w the new cba? If it does I hope hahn Doesn't make the same mistake like he did with rodon and gives him the QO. At a 1 year deal abreu is still attractive and if he doesn't take it you get a pick. 

Edited by Dominikk85

7 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think they should keep both eloy and vaughn. 

Abreu still was good and had a career high walk rate but power was at a career low and at some point he will decline. 

He might have one good year left but it could also go downhill fast like with konerko in his last year. One year abreu might have a bad April like he always does but unlike the other years never turn it around.

Eloy of course is a risk but his value is at an all time low. If you want to trade him it would need to be after at least a somewhat healthy season (130 games) or you don't get enough. 

And vaughn has been a good hitter despite some flaws and might still get better if he lowers his chase rates and pulls the ball more. 

Btw does the qualifying offer still exist w the new cba? If it does I hope hahn Doesn't make the same mistake like he did with rodon and gives him the QO. At a 1 year deal abreu is still attractive and if he doesn't take it you get a pick. 

Players can only be offered the QO once and Abreu was already offered it last time he was a free agent.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, JoeC said:

Sorry - the combination of the above opening to your post + your username made me chuckle.

I still want the team go younger. However for at least another year Abreu would be ok. My point was also if we trade Vaughn and Sheets, hopefully that can bring us back more young prospects. 

7 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I still want the team go younger. However for at least another year Abreu would be ok. My point was also if we trade Vaughn and Sheets, hopefully that can bring us back more young prospects. 

Sheets has next to no value.  He's far more valuable to the Sox as an Eloy injury replacement in AAA / 1 month fill in for until Colas arrives than anything he is fetching on the trade market. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yeah I get what you're saying.

Just pointing out the surface-level humor.

48 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bob says the Sox will not re-sign Jose and that everyone is available for trade except Cease and Vaughn.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/10/09/2022-mlb-award-predictions-aaron-judge-mvp-cy-young-rookie-picks/8221158001/

No one should be untouchable after this s%*# show, but I sure don’t have any hope or faith in the idiots in charge to get it right. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 1:15 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Players can only be offered the QO once and Abreu was already offered it last time he was a free agent.

Ah I forgot that. Would suck to lose him with no compensation but priority should be keeping Eloy and Vaughn who have a better long term outlook. 

But of course that 120-130 wrc+ bat would need to be replaced if you just lose Jose and keep Eloy and Vaughn the lineup is weaker.

But of course they could also get a really good outfield defender with a 110 wrc+, weaker lineup but same war effect as you get Eloy and Vaughn out of the outfield more

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

No one should be untouchable after this s%*# show, but I sure don’t have any hope or faith in the idiots in charge to get it right. 

Well JR'S mouthpiece has spoken. Don't want to trust this multiple championship roster to an unproven manager. Let's retread "old and safe". Don't hire someone that would demand upgrades to the analytics, scouting, development, and training staffs. Heaven forbid the new guy gets to hire his own coaches...... that would threaten guys like Boston and McWavin's lifetime appointments. Let's hire a guy like the former St Louis manager that will just be happy to have a job and take whatever the FO gives him. 42 years of incompetence and counting. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

The problem is no one wants our players. The only player that has good trade value is Tim. Everyone else is too hurt, underperformed, too expensive, or we wouldn't trade them for nothing. This team is screwed and will need to rebuild in 2 years tops. 

Sp sad. This article says Jose is gone. Makes me sick. This organization is very close to losing me as a fan for good. That means I wouldn't be posting here anymore once that happens which should make any haters I have happy.

Everything the Sox do lately angers me. It makes no sense to get rid of Jose Abreu. So what if we have 4-5 DHs and no room for them all. Who they heck caused this problem?? Inept front office types. So get rid of Jose to help make room. It just saddens and sickens me to no end.

At least let the new manager have some input on if he wants Jose around. You pay the guy 10 mill a year for three more years; third year club option. If Jose can get way more than that on the market, good for him. But Sox won't even try. They need a scapegoat or two and I guess Jose is one of 'em.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-white-sox-let-jos-151529554.html

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sp sad. This article says Jose is gone. Makes me sick. This organization is very close to losing me as a fan for good. That means I wouldn't be posting here anymore once that happens which should make any haters I have happy.

Everything the Sox do lately angers me. It makes no sense to get rid of Jose Abreu. So what if we have 4-5 DHs and no room for them all. Who they heck caused this problem?? Inept front office types. So get rid of Jose to help make room. It just saddens and sickens me to no end.

At least let the new manager have some input on if he wants Jose around. You pay the guy 10 mill a year for three more years; third year club option. If Jose can get way more than that on the market, good for him. But Sox won't even try. They need a scapegoat or two and I guess Jose is one of 'em.

I understand the angst, but I also understand Jose is in his mid 30's and only hit 15 home runs this year. To my mind that's to much of a gamble. 

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

From a business standpoint, it’s the right move to let him go. In reality with the way the season played out the correct move would have been to move him at the deadline for anything to a REAL playoff contender.

Yes, it is the ineptitude of the organization that got them into this position by drafting/acquiring lumbering bats that can’t play defense (Sheets, Eloy, Grandal) and Vaughn where he potentially has only real value at first base. In a perfect world they would be able to sign him to a one year deal with an option, but that would f*** up an already fucked up roster.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I understand the angst, but I also understand Jose is in his mid 30's and only hit 15 home runs this year. To my mind that's to much of a gamble. 

I think all our guys had trouble lifting and pulling the dead ball. Also it's only gonna get harder for anybody but Judge to hit HRs cause of the explosion of the sinking fastball and other pitches. Hitters get fooled so often trying to his HRs. If the ball stays dead, 15-20 HRs isn't bad. If the ball enlivens, Jose can hit 30 again me think.

48 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

From a business standpoint, it’s the right move to let him go. In reality with the way the season played out the correct move would have been to move him at the deadline for anything to a REAL playoff contender.

Yes, it is the ineptitude of the organization that got them into this position by drafting/acquiring lumbering bats that can’t play defense (Sheets, Eloy, Grandal) and Vaughn where he potentially has only real value at first base. In a perfect world they would be able to sign him to a one year deal with an option, but that would f*** up an already fucked up roster.

Sheets appears to be just another guy. He's no factor. Please please get rid of Grandal somehow. Trade him to some team any team Tell Eloy to drop 15 pounds, get limber this winter and go to Zona for six weeks and learn how to play LF. so that leaves Vaughn and Jose splitting 1B and DH. If Jose doesn't wanna, fine let him walk. I'd think Jose would 'possibly' be willing to adapt to halftime DH or even more. Maybe Jose won't find a team that'll put him at 1B and will prefer DH. There' just no logical reason to trade your best player. Dumb.

They cant have Jimenez or Vaughn playing LF or RF next season. Vaughn is going to play 1B and Eloy DH. I want Abeau back, but its hard to see a path here without this roster being clogged up again. They need corner OF help, great if one of them happens to be a lefty. The lineup needs a makeover though with the abilities to hit right hand pitching.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Sheets appears to be just another guy. He's no factor. Please please get rid of Grandal somehow. Trade him to some team any team Tell Eloy to drop 15 pounds, get limber this winter and go to Zona for six weeks and learn how to play LF. so that leaves Vaughn and Jose splitting 1B and DH. If Jose doesn't wanna, fine let him walk. I'd think Jose would 'possibly' be willing to adapt to halftime DH or even more. Maybe Jose won't find a team that'll put him at 1B and will prefer DH. There' just no logical reason to trade your best player. Dumb.

Sheets has to be an occasional guy off the bench. He has some power, played ok, but he is a serviceable piece off the bench. Engel, assuming he is not a free agent, can fill out out the bench, but they need two starters. There is no way they can offer up Eloy as a serious LF.

• Texsox locked this topic