Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bruce was probably the most accurate during the Machado "pursuit" 

Bob and Bruce are wrong a lot in general, but when it comes to the White Sox I'd believe them over anyone else in baseball media. 

Bruce Levine is the TLR of journalism, out of touch and barely cognitive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Saufley said:

Abreu on the Cub's radar.

Yes! I will watch him, yes I will. Please sign him. Sox loss. Cubs gain. I despise the Cubs but Jose will shine in Wrigley especially if the ball is live next season. Jose is everything you want on your baseball team. Dumb move White Sox. All the peeps tired of Jose are missing the boat here. He's not that old.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yes! I will watch him, yes I will. Please sign him. Sox loss. Cubs gain. I despise the Cubs but Jose will shine in Wrigley especially if the ball is live next season. Jose is everything you want on your baseball team. Dumb move White Sox. All the peeps tired of Jose are missing the boat here. He's not that old.

The people saying to let him go are not “tired of Jose.” Has nothing to do with his personality or attitude or anything like that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Wild take I can't believe I haven't seen mentioned yet: 

Jose went from Jerry's favorite to "out the door" because of his facial hair.  

You haven’t heard it because that is ridiculous 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:45 PM, WBWSF said:

Wonder what the reaction would be if Abreu signs with Cubs and the White Sox sign Wilson Contreras.

I'd take that.  Grandal is on his last legs, no pun intended.  Might as well lock up a younger stud.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:20 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

The people saying to let him go are not “tired of Jose.” Has nothing to do with his personality or attitude or anything like that.

This! I love Jose, but unfortunately the roster construction doesn't allow him to be here.  If they trade Vaughn for some mlb talent, that could work too, but then Abreu is going to be 37 next year.

• Like 1

After their Super Bowl win, the Bears drafted a running back. They knew Walter Payton didn't have much time left, and they thought ahead. The Abreau is almost the same. Jose doesn't have many years left and the Sox have to act. This is nothing against Abreau. It is just the normal cycle of a team turning to a younger player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I'd take that.  Grandal is on his last legs, no pun intended.  Might as well lock up a younger stud.

Grandal is PUP at this point. I would move on and find a McCann type to round out the catching corps.

41 minutes ago, pcq said:

Grandal is PUP at this point. I would move on and find a McCann type to round out the catching corps.

There is zero good reason to just DFA Grandal.   If someone would actually pick up 50%+ of his deal, or we could swap him for another overpaid vet on a 1 year deal that solves a hole, perhaps.  But just cutting him doesn't make much sense when you're paying him $18M.25 regardless.  May as well bring him into spring training and see how the knees look, and try to glean some value out of him in a part time role.  Sox have 2 in house options that should be at least league average in tandem as backstops, so just eating Grandal's $18.25M doesn't really make any sense at all.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:20 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

They sure seem relieved and happy when it was reported he's going to leave the Sox and the Sox keep the young guys for 1B/DH. I like Vaughn, but I doubt he'll ever have Jose's production. I like Eloy but he figures to keep getting hurt til he proves otherwise. I like Sheets as well but he's no Jose IMO.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:45 PM, WBWSF said:

Wonder what the reaction would be if Abreu signs with Cubs and the White Sox sign Wilson Contreras.

I think most Sox fans would wish him good luck, but shocked why Jose didn't choose a better team closer to winning a world series. I'm not sure the Cubs fans would be so ecstatic as Jose is going to be 36 years old on the back end of his career. 

As far as Contreras being signed, I would do that in a New York minute. Sox fans would be thrilled and Cubs fans would be pissed and jealous, but that's how I like it to be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

This does not spark joy.

It doesn’t.  My heart doesn’t want to see him in another uniform, but my head can’t find a rational path to bringing him back while also addressing RF, the need for LH power, improving the OF defense, and finding ABs enough for everyone.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It doesn’t.  My heart doesn’t want to see him in another uniform, but my head can’t find a rational path to bringing him back while also addressing RF, the need for LH power, improving the OF defense, and finding ABs enough for everyone.  

Let’s be real, he’s going to be on a different team and and the Sox STILL won’t addrsss RF. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is right.  Break ups are hard, but sometimes needed for the greater good

Listen, I get it. i get the money, I get the payroll, i get the predicament that both Eloy and AV present. I just fail to see how the team gets better by taking away its most consistent player and leader from the clubhouse. I totally get his age, his power that fell off a bit, etc. But based on his loyalty and based on injuries of like .... this whole team over and over. I just dont get how you can't give him something like 1 year, $14mm, and like a $4mm buyout with a mutual option at like $15mm. It guarantees him $18mm this year, or like $29-30mm on a two year deal. It's probably somewhere in the realm of reality on a deal like that against the market. 

Inevitably Eloy will be hurt - thats what history tells us. Until that point you have Eloy and Vaughn split DH and LF and Abreu at 1B. When Eloy gets hurt you now have Vaughn as your fulltime DH and Pollock as your full time LF. Like ... we know this will be a scenario needed for at least 60 games next year. Without Abreu you now have Vaughn at 1B, Eloy hurt, Pollock in LF and what? you're gonna try and convince me the likes of someone like .... Yaz at DH and bringing up a catcher from AAA is a better depth move? 

Mark this down for June 1 at the latest. Yaz at DH when Eloy is hurt for an extended period. 

Here are my likely guesses for his destination:

Astros - this is what i'm talking about ... how am i supposed to be a sox fan when you let our top player over the last decade walk and he goes and signs against the top team we're supposed to overcome? yuli contract is up. he's such an easy candidate to slide in. it makes so much sense. 

cubs - i don't think it'll happen, but depends on how much he wants to stay in chicago. again, not great optically

cleveland - don't be completely shocked. cleveland has had a hole there. abreu isn't overly expensive and the team has talent to compete. theyve got espino coming up to make that rotation even stronger. it's a young team. 

miami - would make sense in some sense. i'm not sure they'll spend. 

yankees - id have to think rizzo opts out. would fit. and again, like cleveland or houston - another team we're trying to overcome. we're not only losing one of our top guys, we now have to go play him. 

san diego/san fran - bell contract up? i think? belt was on a year deal. both seem like relevant choices. 

tampa - it makes some sense on paper based on shorter duration of contract and need. 

you look at that list ... chances are outside of miami he's going to a competitor that is already better than us. not a great look. 

• Like 1

• Texsox locked this topic