Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Robert, Anderson, Montana, and Eloy were supposed to be giving this team 20-30 WAR. They provided 6.7 WAR. That's why this team wasn't in the playoffs.

It is also why they won't be again in 2023 if that group doesn't improve drastically.  That's really what it boils down to. 

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Seems like a bad strategy to rely heavily on guys who can’t even stay on the field.

They had no idea they couldn’t stay on the field when they signed them. The only one who really missed significant time in the minors was Robert.  The rest of them were relatively healthy.

21 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Robert, Anderson, Montana, and Eloy were supposed to be giving this team 20-30 WAR. They provided 6.7 WAR. That's why this team wasn't in the playoffs.

That is some lofty expectations. The dodgers won 111 games and they’re top 4 hitters only put up 21 WAR. 

On 10/22/2022 at 3:58 AM, T R U said:

That is some lofty expectations. The dodgers won 111 games and they’re top 4 hitters only put up 21 WAR. 

Anderson has already put up close to 5 WAR, Moncada did in 2019, Robert was supposed to be the next Mike Trout (that's why he was paid so much at 18), and Eloy was supposed to be an all bat 4 WAR guy. If you get 5 from Tim, 6 from Yoan, a bad Trout season from Robert (so like 8 ) and 4 from Eloy, that's 23.

Edited by Dam8610

I just thought of something. Right now everything about the White Sox is depressing. Don't jump on me but I have a way to turn frowns into high fives.

Hire Ozzie as manager, sign Abreu, then get to work on a stellar rotation and stellar defense. Pitching and defense wins pennants baby, not lift and pull. 

Oz was a fun Sox shortstop; an enjoyable slap hitter and Abreu is good luck charm. Also bring back Renteria in some capacity. Karma baby, needs to change.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 2

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

I just thought of something. Right now everything about the White Sox is depressing. Don't jump on me but I have a way to turn frowns into high fives.

Hire Ozzie as manager, sign Abreu, then get to work on a stellar rotation and stellar defense. Pitching and defense wins pennants baby, not lift and pull. 

Oz was a fun Sox shortstop; an enjoyable slap hitter and Abreu is good luck charm. Also bring back Renteria in some capacity. Karma baby, needs to change.

greg is back, baby

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

Greg - You must stop this. You must really stop this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Abreu makes too much sense for the Astros.

Yermin, a Q: You don't like Abreu but seem to think it's reasonable a great organization like Houston would want him. Isn't this a total non sequitir? Why would the Astros want a player that u deem so flawed?

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2022 at 9:04 AM, he gone. said:

Here are my likely guesses for his destination:

Astros - this is what i'm talking about ... how am i supposed to be a sox fan when you let our top player over the last decade walk and he goes and signs against the top team we're supposed to overcome? yuli contract is up. he's such an easy candidate to slide in. it makes so much sense. 

welp. 

But just further cements that Sox have no real legitimate shot to win it all. at best they'll have a phillies like shot ... 

this is a race between the top dogs again. mired in mediocrity ... mediocrity during our "championship window" is just moved from 80-84 wins to 84-90 wins. Still no legitimate shot. 2nd place organization. 

9 minutes ago, he gone. said:

welp. 

But just further cements that Sox have no real legitimate shot to win it all. at best they'll have a phillies like shot ... 

this is a race between the top dogs again. mired in mediocrity ... mediocrity during our "championship window" is just moved from 80-84 wins to 84-90 wins. Still no legitimate shot. 2nd place organization. 

I mean, that's how it is every year though. 2-3 top dogs and then a bunch of teams with a "Phillies-like shot."

• Texsox locked this topic