2022 Playoffs Divisional Round

Kyyle23

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Fatal flaw in Andrew Friedman strategy…saw it with the Rays as well, with starting pitchers famously limited (see Blake Snell in 2000) and bullpens exposed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hern-ndez-blame-andrew-friedmans-064220812.html

With Buehler, May, Treinen and Kimbrel sidelined or ineffective…a lot of the weaknesses were exposed when you lack the set 7-8-9 lineup of relievers like the Padres now have going with Garcia, Suarez and Hader.

The Rays, for their part, have famously been unable to spend money for elite closers, having to rely almost completely on their farm system and reclamation projects.

Remember that and when they lost the World Series. 

Dodger had 6 different pitchers with saves.

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

It's cool seeing teams that aggressively improved their roster like the Padres and Phillies being rewarded for it.

We leave out the Mets who were aggressive in the offseason.

The Phillies were also aggressive in removing their manager.

Edited by kitekrazy

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

Cheap ass hits for the Guardians as usual

I almost wonder if the shift being gone next year might hurt Cleveland. So many of their cheap hits are because of the shift. 

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

So I didn't know what I was looking at when Naylor was rounding the bases doing a "rocking the baby" motion after his home run against Cole.. but apparently he was also yelling "thats my little son" referring to Cole. 

Really cringe

I think Naylor had a real good game against Cole back in the playoffs in 2020. 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, White Sox Park said:

I was bummed when the Astros won, and turned it off . now, I have to watch the other games from last night . I cannot believe the Padres beat the Dodgers!!! . everyone I know, said the Dodgers were unbeatable, heh . and crazy that the Guardians got 3 in the 9th . would enjoy a Philly-Cleveland World Series . I guess it's like they say, just get in and anything can happen . wonder if we ever get back in, in my lifetime.

Yep—don’t worry, next year everybody will be back to the old “nobody can possibly compete with [insert talented team with great regular season record] this year.  I mean, who matches up with them?”  Then some unexpected team will knock that team out to everyone’s immense shock.  Then repeat the same the next season.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

So the Yankees lost Michael King, Chad Green, Aroldis Chapman, Zach Britton, and Ron Marinaccio in their bullpen and they're still somehow pretty good in relief. Cashman did a great job of finding guys like Peralta and Holmes and turning them into really good relievers. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shaikin-many-reasons-explain-dodgers-021456487.html

The postseason is about determining a champion, in the process enlivening and exciting an ever-growing number of fan bases by sending more invitations to a tournament.

This is not about extending the first round to a best-of-seven. If Major League Baseball really wanted the best team to advance 80% of the time, according to one study, the series would have to extend to a best-of-75.

Over the years, MLB has expanded the playoffs from two teams to four, then eight, then 10, and now to 12. The owners, remember, wanted 14: more games, more money.

Home field is a marginal advantage in baseball, and two or three of the four teams earning a first-round bye losing in the division series means the extra days off might be a marginal advantage as well.

If the league wanted to bestow a truly significant advantage upon the best teams, it would spot the Dodgers and other teams that earn a bye one victory — that is, the Dodgers would have started the division series with a 1-0 lead on the Padres. They would have needed to win two games to win the series; the Padres would have needed to win three. (Spoiler alert: That’s not happening.)

Edited by caulfield12