2022 Playoffs Divisional Round

Kyyle23

57 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’m really surprised at how hard I am rooting against Cleveland this series.  F Cleveland. 

Not to mention the farther Cleveland gets, the more likely their ownership might actually spend money this off-season to make the team better. 

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

Not to mention the farther Cleveland gets, the more likely their ownership might actually spend money this off-season to make the team better. 

Nah, they didn’t do much after they went to the World Series, they went up like 15m and next year 30m and then dropped right back down 50m.  They just keep counting on the milb pipeline and savvy trades which honestly has worked pretty well for them 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

I've never seen a guy celebrate like he hit a walk off homer when his team was still down 1 in the middle of the game. 

TA's bat epic bat flip in April put the Sox up 2-0 in the fourth inning.  While they weren't behind, there was still plenty of game left and many including the Royal's thought it was uncalled for.

Not sticking up for Naylor but at least his actions took place in a playoff game where every play is a big moment.  Certainly a HR to bring your team within 1 run is cause to celebrate, but put your head down and round the bases and celebrate with your team.

The main difference I see is TA was trying to fire up his team, where Naylor's actions were directed at a player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

TA's bat epic bat flip in April put the Sox up 2-0 in the fourth inning.  While they weren't behind, there was still plenty of game left and many including the Royal's thought it was uncalled for.

Not sticking up for Naylor but at least his actions took place in a playoff game where every play is a big moment.  Certainly a HR to bring your team within 1 run is cause to celebrate, but put your head down and round the bases and celebrate with your team.

The main difference I see is TA was trying to fire up his team, where Naylor's actions were directed at a player.

Yup. There's celebrating and then there's plain old disrespect. Naylor was trying to disrespect Cole to get into his head. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

Yup. There's celebrating and then there's plain old disrespect. Naylor was trying to disrespect Cole to get into his head. 

For sure.  The old-timer argument against celebrating/fun is that it *implies* what Naylor was doing explicitly last night, i.e. intentional, personal disrespect aimed directly in the eye of your opponent.  Won't rehash the debate over bat-flips and other positive on-field celebrations (I think they're fine).  But I won't defend publicly insulting and disrespecting an opponent just because they're your opponent.  That stuff makes the game nastier instead of more fun.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If the league wanted to bestow a truly significant advantage upon the best teams, it would spot the Dodgers and other teams that earn a bye one victory — that is, the Dodgers would have started the division series with a 1-0 lead on the Padres. They would have needed to win two games to win the series; the Padres would have needed to win three. (Spoiler alert: That’s not happening.)

This is silly.

1 hour ago, Big Hurtin said:

Think they get it in (tonight) ?

“In 5 minutes the teams will meet with the umpiring crew and we will tell you the outcome of that meeting when we have it. It’s still raining. MLB really wants to get this game in.”

No game today probably benefits Cleveland as they can go with Bieber tomorrow. Yankees might be able to go worth Cortez, but I think the difference between Cortez and Bieber is bigger than the difference between Civale and Taillon. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

No game today probably benefits Cleveland as they can go with Bieber tomorrow. Yankees might be able to go worth Cortez, but I think the difference between Cortez and Bieber is bigger than the difference between Civale and Taillon. 

However Cleveland had all their top relievers rested while the only good Yankee relievers were likely unavailable after pitching several days in a row. I think New York came out better here.

12 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

However Cleveland had all their top relievers rested while the only good Yankee relievers were likely unavailable after pitching several days in a row. I think New York came out better here.

I think Peralta is the only guy who might not have been available tonight. But even then he only threw like 8 pitches last night. 

Since 1995, when a fourth team was added to each league’s playoff field, 40 teams have won 100 games. Of the 39 whose seasons have concluded (this season’s Astros are plugging right along, unfazed by the supposed favorite-killing new format), here’s how far they got:

Champions: 5

Lost in World Series: 6

Lost in Championship Series: 8

Lost in Division Series: 19

Lost in wild-card round: 1 (Sorry, Mets fans)

Almost half of them have gone down in the ALDS or NLDS! Out of those, 17 lost to teams with worse records — the vanquishing upstarts came in with 8.47 fewer regular season wins, on average.

Among the 57 teams since 1995 that finished the regular season atop the AL or NL heap (including teams that tied for the honor), it’s a similar story.

Champions: 11

Lost in World Series: 9

Lost in Championship Series: 13

Lost in Division Series: 24

The Padres, winners of 89 games, are not even particularly notable as underdogs go. Last year’s Braves — remember them? — eliminated a 106-win Dodgers team en route to their World Series title after winning 88 games. The 116-win 2001 Seattle Mariners famously lost to a 95-win Yankees team in the ALCS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-new-playoff-format-didnt-bounce-dodgers-braves-playoff-baseball-has-been-knocking-out-top-teams-for-years-051246936.html

Edited by caulfield12

"Manager Terry Francona told reporters on Monday afternoon that Bieber would not be available out of the bullpen when Game 5 was scheduled to be played Monday night. He added that Bieber wouldn’t start on short rest Tuesday because he was throwing a bullpen session on Monday.

That line of thinking is not likely to change. Minutes before the game was postponed, Civale played catch in left field, which is good indication that he wanted to do some light throwing preparation for Tuesday’s start.

During the regular season the Guardians were forced to play 12 doubleheaders -- 11 because of weather and another because of COVID."

Cleveland.com/sports