Guardians were less than hours away from trading Jose Ramirez

caulfield12

Per Ken Rosenthal:

“The effect of the Guardians’ trade discussions on Ramírez — and how much they scared him into accepting the team’s offer — is not known. But The Athletic’s Zack Meisel reported, ‘When Ramírez woke up on the final day of spring training, he decided he wanted to end the stalemate. … He called his agent and directed him to find some middle ground with Cleveland’s front office.'”

Jose Ramirez trade rumors: Guardians used Padres to increase urgency

While Rosenthal doesn’t flat-out say it, it sounds like the Guardians shopped Ramirez in part to get him to sit back down at the table. Ramirez wanted to get a deal done to stay in Cleveland, but hearing that the front office was making him available to other potential suitors scared him.

https://fansided.com/2022/04/13/mlb-rumors-jose-ramirez-padres/

Blue Jays were the other team interested/involved.

Padres were going to move him back to 2B.  Would have been really ballsy on the part of Preller to go back to the same team that fleeced him in the Clevinger deal.

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So they forced him into a below market deal by threatening to trade him. They have dumper player after player this way because their ownership group is cheap af.  I know that Clevelands management group is in style now, but their ownership is trash.  

Well, at least they've got one thing going for them, it sounds like....

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So they forced him into a below market deal by threatening to trade him. They have dumper player after player this way because their ownership group is cheap af.  I know that Clevelands management group is in style now, but their ownership is trash.  

I mean, glass houses

On 10/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, southsider2k5 said:

We should be thankful that their ownership is trash honestly.  If Cleveland had the same payroll recourses as the Sox they would own the central every year.